PDA

View Full Version : Yo MeatShake

Water Dragon
07-09-2004, 01:07 PM
The wife is now in San Antonio, and looking for work. She is focusing on Administrative-Office, Call Centers, and Shipping/Receiving.

Do you know anyone who is hiring or anyone you could get a resume to? If so, let me know which type of job it would be and how to get you the appropriate resume.

MasterKiller
07-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Asking MeatShake for job advice is like asking RTB for hairstyle suggestions.

rubthebuddha
07-09-2004, 01:47 PM
:D

WD -- i suggest you do a couple websites, one specifically is www.workintexas.com. the others are the proverbial www.careerbuilder.com, etc.

Water Dragon
07-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh we're on it RTB, She's already signed up with 3 headhunters, has had 2 interviews and has another lined up for Monday. I'm just trying to network as well.

CaptinPickAxe
07-09-2004, 02:03 PM
When are you gettin' to McDojo Capital, USA?

So many bunk-ass schools have opened up in the last 3 months its shocking. All claim to teach "Renzo Gracie Ju-Juitsu" or "Muay Tai Kickboxing"...They need to quit lying and admit its Greco-Roman with a dash of TKD and American Karate...

Water Dragon
07-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Man, as soon as I sell this house I'll be there!

The way I figure, I know there is good Shuai Chioao in San An. I know enough Muay Thai/Boxing to work that as is and let it merge with the SC.

I'll probably hook up with a Black Belt for BJJ in Austin and set up a satelite in San An if the place really is that bunk.

rubthebuddha
07-09-2004, 02:14 PM
coo WD -- lemme know some of your resources, because i take back what i said about workintexas:

biggest ****ing joke i've dealt with in job searching. the website and notification services have more bugs than CPA's undie drawer, and the phone staff is about as coherent as troy aikman during pretty much all of the 1980s.

Water Dragon
07-09-2004, 02:24 PM
We're basically using the job resource section from www.mysa.com

Also, check out the following head hunters

http://www.bullockpersonnel.com/
http://www.dantemps.com/

I have a couple Networking contacts in the area as well.

Generallym the best way to find a job anymore is to find the COMPANIES that are in San An and hit their website directly. For example, my wife has an interview on Monday with www.americanfunds.com and we also checked www.USAA.com

My wife is researching company lists for the city and we will find more sites from there.

IMO, monster.com, jobs.caom, etc. are a waste of time.

red5angel
07-09-2004, 02:25 PM
biggest ****ing joke i've dealt with in job searching. the website and notification services have more bugs than CPA's undie drawer, and the phone staff is about as coherent as troy aikman during pretty much all of the 1980s.

what did you expect from a state whose state song is "Yeeeehaaaaaa!"

CaptinPickAxe
07-09-2004, 02:34 PM
the website and notification services have more bugs than CPA's undie drawer

WTF are you talkin' 'bout, RTB...
Urvyone knows that true Texans always go commando...

PHILBERT
07-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
When are you gettin' to McDojo Capital, USA?

So many bunk-ass schools have opened up in the last 3 months its shocking. All claim to teach "Renzo Gracie Ju-Juitsu" or "Muay Tai Kickboxing"...They need to quit lying and admit its Greco-Roman with a dash of TKD and American Karate...

Not a good idea for people to be claiming BJJ when they aren't. Especially something like Renzo Gracie BJJ. E-mail Renzo, his e-mail is probably on http://www.renzogracie.com/ and let him know. They'll tell you if the school is real or not.

CaptinPickAxe
07-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Will do...
Thanks for the link. I'm gonna go all Bullshido on all the McDojo's here in Say Town...its like a playground for skeptics.

Meat Shake
07-09-2004, 03:04 PM
****... Wish I would have gotten this about a week ago. My company hired an administrative assistant last week, she started on monday.
Ill look around though, talk to the boss and the pops. Both have good connections for that type of work.

PHILBERT
07-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Will do...
Thanks for the link. I'm gonna go all Bullshido on all the McDojo's here in Say Town...its like a playground for skeptics.

I got them here as well, but I just choose to ignore them and move on. Just go for the ones who are claiming false lineage. Kung Fu, BJJ, Muay Thai, Kung Fu, etc. Claiming rank in BJJ when you aren't is a huge mistake.

CaptinPickAxe
07-09-2004, 03:32 PM
I've contacted a Renzo Gracie Rep and will keep y'all posted on the outcome...I'm very skeptical. It seems like someone read his book and is trying to teach it.

rubthebuddha
07-09-2004, 03:42 PM
red -- close, but not quite:

the real texas state anthem (http://members.fortunecity.com/chippy3/songs/hangin.html)

CaptinPickAxe
07-09-2004, 04:04 PM
What?!? Texas has a state anthem? I mean besides any Pat Green song...:D

God...I can't stand necks.

Water Dragon
07-09-2004, 06:40 PM
CPA, be careful before you call these BJJ guys frauds. Texas is a friggin' hot bed for BJJ. There has been BJJ in Houston for about 12 years now. Austin has 3-4 black belts. One was promoted to Black by the Old Man believe it or not!

I'm sure that more than 1 guy has been road tripping it to Austin by now. Check out www.txmma.com They have a few lead for San An schools on their forum.

CaptinPickAxe
07-10-2004, 02:45 AM
I received a response from a Renzo Gracie representitive and they said the only Renzo Gracie Ju-Juitsu certified teacher is Alverez in Austin. They asked for the names of people using their name...

hmm...

YinYangDagger
07-10-2004, 09:57 AM
the guy I work out with in BJJ knows of an authorized school here in SA (I believe from the Machado line)

only problem is they don't advertise anywhere, and he's gone on deployment for a month so I won't know until he gets back

when I do find out I'm going to keep it a secret though, because I started talking to Sifu Kirk and Gene way before CPA and MS did, yet they been training with them and I haven't had a chance yet :D

Water Dragon
07-10-2004, 10:05 AM
I received a response from a Renzo Gracie representitive and they said the only Renzo Gracie Ju-Juitsu certified teacher is Alverez in Austin. They asked for the names of people using their name...

hmm...

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that there is a Blue belt teaching under Alverez in SA. That sounds like a good training opportunity if that's the case.

YinYangDagger
07-10-2004, 10:24 AM
and WD, the biggest call center in SA is West Corporation

check out this link, they're always hiring

www.west.com

Chang Style Novice
07-10-2004, 11:15 AM
I thought the only BJJ BB in Austin was Vandry. I guess that info's about a year old by now, though.

fightfan
07-13-2004, 02:36 PM
MMA/BJJ in San Antonio.

www.pabjj.com
(site seems to be down but you can contact the Pedro Alberto school in Houston for info on Karun's school in SA)

http://elite-martial-arts.com/elitecontentmain.htm

Karun is a purple belt under P.A. and this is IMO the best BJJ in SA.

Rudy Vasquez:
http://www.vasa.tv/pages/1/index.htm

On a side note, I saw your post on another forum, Water. Don't quit yet! SA is ripe with fun. ;)

Water Dragon
07-13-2004, 02:44 PM
You guys still training down there fightfan? Get me the scoop I'd be more comfortable at a MMA gym than going to a pure BJJ and a pure Muay Thai school.

I don't want to quit either. But I also don't want to be 'that guy'

You know who he is. He was cool at one time as well ;)

rubthebuddha
07-13-2004, 02:56 PM
anybody got any good job hints for houston?

and, martial hints? there's some wt in houston, but not as good as my own (which also has escrima, muay thai, etc.), and it's on the ass-end of houston.

red5angel
07-13-2004, 03:07 PM
anybody got any good job hints for houston?

I bet there's probably a few having to do with cows or something down there.

CaptinPickAxe
07-13-2004, 03:15 PM
wow...I haven't heard that one before...dumb ass, minnesotians.

red5angel
07-13-2004, 03:18 PM
actually, I'm from the smarter half of texas....Louisiana ;)

rubthebuddha
07-13-2004, 04:16 PM
that's the state's equivalent to saying "i'm the right butt cheek, the side that doesn't get leaned on most of the time."

abobo
07-13-2004, 04:20 PM
http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

rubthebuddha
07-13-2004, 04:49 PM
abobers -- already used it. that was the workintexas thing that i was so enchanted with. :rolleyes:

thanks though. :)

Water Dragon
07-13-2004, 04:59 PM
What type pf work do you do rubthebuddha?

Also, you can check out this school, defend.net. The guy is petty famous around the internet, but I don't recall anyone saying anythign, good or bad, about his training. He's probably worth a look-see.

fightfan
07-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
You guys still training down there fightfan? Get me the scoop I'd be more comfortable at a MMA gym than going to a pure BJJ and a pure Muay Thai school.

I don't want to quit either. But I also don't want to be 'that guy'

You know who he is. He was cool at one time as well ;)

I have'nt been training for about a year due to some back problems (surgery) so I think I'm "that guy" now more than ever. At least until I get back doing cardio.

The guys I used to train with still get together a couple of times a week. They mainly do MMA/BJJ no-gi and are really open to any style. They are good peeps that respect your limits or what not. Let me know when you get here if you need a place to train. I'm sure theyd like to have you over. I'll PM you my e-mail.

Water Dragon
07-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Good $hit! I'll let you know when I'm coming down. I'm hoping sometime in August, September at the latest.

rubthebuddha
07-13-2004, 10:08 PM
mainly editing (copy editing, page layout, etc.), research or admin work. i'm an office jockey when on the clock, and there be few office programs that i couldn't teach people how to use extensively.

for ma, i'd love to do wt -- two schools are in the houston area -- but both, from what my fiancée tells me, are out in the crappy regions of houston (as if any region of houston wasn't crappy ...). my sifu grew up in san antoner, so he had some good leads on anything from pekiti tersia (i'd like) to taiji. i'm thinkin if i try something fresh, it'd most likely be filipino or indonesian. i'd like to get more grappling too, as wt and muay thai have little. what would be sweetest, and this is probably wishful thinking, is to find a place that teaches what i don't know well, yet would love to have someone come in and teach wt. i do that five nights each week at my sifu's school, so picking up a couple nights to complement an already-established group would be cake.

scotty1
07-14-2004, 04:38 AM
WD and FF, want to expand on the 'that guy' discussion? Sounds interesting.

WD and Rub, good luck with your moves, I f.ucking hate moving house.

Water Dragon
07-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Houston Employment Agencies (http://swhoustontx.usachamber.com/memberDir/memServiceResp.asp?intID=81&TypeSearch=CATEGORY&SearchCriteria=&cboCategory=employment+services)

Administrative Services Firms (http://nwhoustontx.usachamber.com/memberDir/memServiceResp.asp?intID=88&TypeSearch=CATEGORY&SearchCriteria=&cboCategory=administrative+services)

More Employment Agencies (http://nwhoustontx.usachamber.com/memberDir/memServiceResp.asp?intID=88&TypeSearch=CATEGORY&SearchCriteria=&cboCategory=employment+agencies)

Remember, the Chamber of Commerce is your friend :)

rubthebuddha
07-14-2004, 09:37 AM
wd -- me thankem you heap much. mayhap the margaritas shall flow when we're both settled in tejas?

Water Dragon
07-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
wd -- me thankem you heap much. mayhap the margaritas shall flow when we're both settled in tejas?

Sure thing. I like my Margaritas without the mix :D

If you need any other help/ideas/etc. on the job search, let me know.

The Chamber of Commerce should be able to provide you with a list of all companies in Houston.

Meat Shake
07-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Eeeh... Ritas? Takillya makes me **** fire.
Pero... Me encanta las bebes de rum o vodka. :D

"Get me the scoop I'd be more comfortable at a MMA gym than going to a pure BJJ and a pure Muay Thai school. "

You not going to come play with us shuai chiaoers? Or do you plan on doing both?

Rub - When do you plan on moving to houston? Be careful there, houston is a really rough place in the wrong areas... Not too long ago there was a big to do, because....
Ghetto thugs in the parking lot. One says something of the others babys mama, the other responds with something along the lines of mofo, gat, pop a clip and let one slip or something, and soon enough one of them is dead... Dead and close to the fence that seperates HEB from an apartment complex. HEB manager decides he doesnt want to deal with the paper work today, oh so gently kicks the body under the fence to the apartment. The apartment manager notices, and so kindly returns the body to the HEB parking lot. This goes on until the cops get there, at which point the 2 managers are in a verbal dispute about where the body belongs...
hehehe....

Water Dragon
07-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Meat Shake

You not going to come play with us shuai chiaoers? Or do you plan on doing both?

Kirk's school is gonna be my main school. I'm hopint to train about 3 days a week in SC, and another 2 in BJJ/Muay Thai. That's why I'm looking for a good MMA school.

You don't see me asking for a good SC school because I already know where that is ;)

Merryprankster
07-14-2004, 02:04 PM
My Meat Shake brings all the boys to the yard and their life
Is better than yours
**** right, it's better than yours
I could teach you, but I'd have to charge....

Water Dragon
07-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Merry, I just got off the phone with last month. It said that if you give your last post back, it could probably talk to 1993 and get some of your hair back for you.

rubthebuddha
07-14-2004, 05:04 PM
meatyshakey -- aye, i know. admittedly, i'm a little naive about the "big city," because the only thing we have up here is seattle (where bangers will only mug you for your birkenstocks), vancouver (where bangers are too busy complaining about the canucks' consistent choking) and portland (where bangers are usually busy playing for the trailblazers). even the parts of socal i spent much of my childhood in weren't that bad.

my fiancée will "guide" me in my choice for habitation -- she doesn't want to see me dead any time in the near future.

and moving? as soon as my white ass gets a decent-paying jobbyjob.

besides -- if i'm concerned about anything when i'm there, it's about me hair. people with shaved heads up here are as five times as common as hippies. in texas, about the only folks i've seen with shaved heads were black or mexican. keep in mind that the furthest west in texas i've been was the rio frio. regardless, people of every race tend to stereotype, and i look just like a happy little aryan boy ...

... except the tevas don't quite fit the combat boot stereotype. ;)

Merryprankster
07-15-2004, 12:06 PM
LOL at WD!!!

I knew I couldn't be the first!

Meat Shake
07-15-2004, 12:11 PM
"rio frio"
?

Rio grande or the frio? Frio is the nicest river in texas, bar none.

There isnt much of a problem with muggings here, just fights. I think it may have something to do with the heat.

"My Meat Shake brings all the boys to the yard and their life
Is better than yours
**** right, it's better than yours
I could teach you, but I'd have to charge...."

That song makes me want to shoot myself.... And Id love to wear golf spikes and stomp on the throat of whoever produced that beat.
I think it may have been the guy in GDA's avatar.

rubthebuddha
07-15-2004, 09:52 PM
rio frio.

she and i spent a couple days at garner state park a few months back. gorgeous place. playing in the river was sweet, and hiking up the HILLS (not mountains -- texans do not know what mountains are) was fantastic. we went looking for "painted rock," only to learn that, when we got there, it was called painted rock because that's where the vultures perched looking for prey. enough bird**** to paint a peterbilt. :o

PHILBERT
07-16-2004, 12:44 AM
Dayum, thats you? Not at all what I was expecting. I thought you'd look, well, scarier.

MasterKiller
07-16-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
(not mountains -- texans do not know what mountains are) Bullcrap. In the X-Files movie, there are clearly mountains in the Dallas skyline! Are you trying to say movies lied to me? :mad:

Chang Style Novice
07-16-2004, 08:01 AM
I know it's pretty played out by now, but d@mnit, I LOVE the Milkshake song!

btw, Meatsy, that beat is by The Neptunes. What can I say? I'm a big sucker for tabla.

Mmmm...Ustad Zakir Hussain duets with Ustad Alla Rakha...

rubthebuddha
07-16-2004, 09:30 AM
with a name like rubthebuddha, how the **** could you think i was scary?

chang style novice -- now there's a frightening-sounding bastage. stay away from him. :D

Chang Style Novice
07-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Most people do anyway, because of the odor.

Meat Shake
07-16-2004, 01:12 PM
"a big sucker for tabla.

Mmmm...Ustad Zakir Hussain duets with Ustad Alla Rakha...
"

Tabla beat science is awesome. Ravi Shankar is one bad mofo as well... The neptunes need to drink some clorox.

Chang Style Novice
07-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Well, I'm just a mainstream sellout I guess, 'cause I like 'em.

And Timbaland.

And Kanye West, AND his rapping.

Yeah, you heard!!

What!??!

What!??!

Meat Shake
07-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Timbaland can produce, and I can listen to kanye west without wanting to shoot my face.

I can also fly just by telling the ground Im angry at it.

Chang Style Novice
07-16-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm just sayin', there are some mainstream producers who get props from me. I ain't too proud to admit they're dope.

Of course what am I listening to right now? Murs 3:16, the 9th Edition, and before that it was MF Doom's Viktor Vaughn, Vaudeville Villain.

So I definitely swing both ways.

Meat Shake
07-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Dirty, dirty swinger.

Chang Style Novice
07-16-2004, 01:47 PM
It's only good when it's dirty.

Have you heard much MF Doom? I bet you'd really dig his style.

Meat Shake
07-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Of course.
I love MF Doom. Madlib too. And pretty much any def jukkie. Im keen on most of the "underground" scene.

Dear lord... Must be friday. My brain isnt working very well.

Chang Style Novice
07-16-2004, 01:55 PM
I managed to fileshare myself the upcoming Mm...food album. It's got a song with MC Paul Barman on it. He actually starts off well, with

"I'm old school, this mic is my Pro-Tool."

but on the very next line descends into his special brand of wackness

"I'm three apples high, I live in a toadstool like a smurf."