PDA

View Full Version : Canadian seminar with Ho Kam Ming

Patrick Gordon
07-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Wing Chun Retirement Seminar with Grandmaster Ho Kam Ming

The Ottawa Wing Chun Academy is very proud to host the last seminar by Grandmaster, Ho Kam Ming. He will be sharing his 50 plus years of Wing Chun training. Grand Master Ho will be doing two retirement seminars, one in Canada and one in Tucson, Arizona, which will be hosted by Sifu, Augustine Fong. Grandmaster Ho will bring some current student’s to assist him, as well as an instructor visiting from Macau to also participate. If you ever had any questions about Wing Chun, here is your chance to be answered by an old time master of the style. If you are a serious Wing Chun practitioner, I highly recommend attending this seminar. You will never get another chance to attend a seminar with Ho Kam Ming. At a seminar in the late 80’s, Master Hawkins Cheung stated "Ho Kam Ming received all the best information. He will teach you the correct motions & theory. This is better than learning a lot of movements”
Date: Saturday, August 14th & Sunday, August 15th

Times: Sat 12:30-5:30, one hour lunch
Sun 11:00-4:00, one hour lunch

Location: Ottawa Wing Chun Academy, 858 Bank St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Price: one day $70.00, two days $140.00 (Canadian funds). Please reserve yourself a spot as soon as possible, as space will be limited.

Regarding payment, you may see me in class or phone: 613-862-5459 or email: p.gordon@cyberus.ca

I hope you get this wonderful opportunity to join us for these seminars, sincerely,

Patrick Gordon.

Short Bio of Grandmaster Ho
Ho Kam Ming devoted his life to the study and refinement of Wing Chun and was one of the few students to complete the entire system under Grandmaster Yip Man. He spent three and a half years learning the system from Yip Man, and then he helped Yip Man to instruct his classes for another three and a half years. It was during this time he learned the most advanced skills privately from Yip Man. During the seven years Sigung Ho was with Yip Man, he trained in the school everyday for at least four hours per day. Sigung Ho developed a very close personal relationship with his Sifu, whom revealed the finer points of Wing Chun to him and also appointed him to assume the responsibility of instructing his private students. By this time, Sigung Ho had already opened his first school in Macao and another in Hong Kong. Back in the 1960's and 70's, in addition to teaching Wing Chun for self-defense, Ho Kam Ming also trained professional fighters. His full contact Wing Chun teams fought in Martial Arts tournaments throughout Southeast Asia, achieving considerable recognition. In the late 1970's, Grandmaster Ho retired from teaching Wing Chun publicly in order to teach privately. Today, at the young age of 81, Sigung Ho has a small group of private students in Toronto, Canada, where he immigrated.

Patrick Gordon
07-22-2004, 06:36 AM
Hotel information:

Rate: $115 (Canadian) single or double occupancy for August 14 and 15. This rate includes continental breakfast. Each additional adult over two will be $10 each. Guests can call and make reservations by calling 800-465-7275 and refer to booking #151032. We will hold these rooms until August 2 and whatever is not picked up will be released for general sale. Please specify smoking or non-smoking.

Best Western Victoria Park Suites
377 O'Connor St at Gladstone Ave. The location is just three blocks from the downtown exit of the highway.
URL: http://www.victoriapark.com
Ph: (613) 567-7493 ext. 158 Fax: (613) 567-1161

Rhat
07-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Patrick Gordon
Wing Chun Retirement Seminar with Grandmaster Ho Kam Ming

The Ottawa Wing Chun Academy is very proud to host the last seminar by Grandmaster, Ho Kam Ming. He will be sharing his 50 plus years of Wing Chun training.

Sounds like a wonderful Seminar, in the spirit of wing chun, good luck to Grandmaster Ho Kam Ming.

taltos
07-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Patrick Gordon
The Ottawa Wing Chun Academy is very proud to host the last seminar by Grandmaster, Ho Kam Ming. He will be sharing his 50 plus years of Wing Chun training.

I can only hope that I make it to 50+ years in Wing Chun.

Congrats on sich an accomplishment and I hope everyone enjoys the seminar immensely.

-Levi

Patrick Gordon
07-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I am sure it will be a wonderful seminar. Sigung Ho is a wealth of knowledge. He has taught me a lt in what little time I have spent with him. I am alos looking forward to the night time discussions and training, the food and perhaps a drink or two ;-)

Patrick Gordon.

old jong
08-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Here is the traditional seminar pic!...That was a very special occasion. Too bad master Ho is retiring because he is still in good shape and still move like if he was a lot younger. He has a good sense of humor too!

PaulH
08-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Nice picture, OJ! which one are you and HKM? Are you the spectacled black T-shirt one? =D

old jong
08-20-2004, 04:45 PM
;) No! I'm the one with a camera bag strap making a diagonal stripe on my white t-shirt. I'm standing behind HKM.

PaulH
08-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Got ya! Well the last seminar is always the most memorable. I'm glad you folks have a nice time with your Sigung! Old timer like him always has a lot to share with the young generation!

Best wishes,
Paul

old jong
08-20-2004, 05:41 PM
I had the pleasure to chat with him during a break and he was very nice with me,asking questions about my school in Montreal and talking about his years with Yip Man. He also does not show his 80 years of age at all.He is full of life and humor.
He is a true Wing Chun monument.

BTW he is my Sifu's Sigung so he is my Si Tai Gung!...

Vajramusti
08-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Old Jong, Patrick and others.
Thanks for the report from Canada.

I just got back from the first day of a 3 day event in Tucson.
Great visit with Master Ho, and his Canada and Macao contingent. Master Ho looked and was in top form in his explanations of different aspects of wing chun.

"Gangsterfist" from this list drove up--- many many hours cooped up in a car with a team from Kanasas City.

Two more interesting days ahead.

joy chaudhuri
www.tempewingchun.com

old jong
08-23-2004, 03:43 PM
I had also the pleasure of meeting two members of the Rochester Wing Chun group at the seminar. Mark (Mark Kune on this forum) and Tuck!...Two great guys with lots of humor and common sense.Funny because I happened to greet them at the door and Mark said:"Are you Old Jong?" when I introduced myself!...We had some very good conversations without any political BS of any kind.
:cool:

kj
08-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi Old Jong,

If not for an unyielding family commitment, I'd have been there too! I was even prepared to fly to Arizona for the last hurrah till I learned of the time conflict.

Mark and Doug obviously enjoyed their visit immensely, to meet Master Ho and their brief time with you folks. I just returned home and haven't had the chance to catch up with them much yet, but they did emphatically mention what warm and wonderful hosts you and the others in your groups were. Despite them coming as "outsiders," so to speak, you guys made them feel so comfortable and welcomed. Of course they were delighted to finally meet the infamous "Old Jong" face to face. :)

Regards,
- kj

Mark Kune
08-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Hi everyone!

How'd I miss this thread last time I was here?

Anyhoo, Doug and I did have a real good time in Ottawa. The city was beautiful, the weather was perfect and Patrick and his group and the groups from Montreal treated us so well. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. We felt right at home. And we had the pleasure of meeting the famous Old Jong in person. A really nice guy!

The seminar was informal, no bowing etc. Master Ho was very friendly and open. Not much missed his attention. So were his students who were helping translate and instruct. And it was great to meet a woman other than KJ, who is crazy about wing chun in Louisa.

Thanks Patrick and crew for putting on a great seminar!

Vajramusti
08-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Mark- thanks for your report.

Louisa and her sister are both good wing chun people.
When in Tucson- in an unrehearsed demo- when she was
pulled past a person- she turned and gave a timely kick to the back of the puller's knee.

So much wing chun and I have extra promises to keep this fall.
Something has to give on time management. So for active participation on KFO-so goodbye for a while.

Cheers, Joy Chaudhuri

www.tempewingchun.com

old jong
08-24-2004, 06:44 AM
You got to decide!...Am I infamous or famous?...;) :D
I'm also publicly sorry about calling Doug "Tuck"!...Sorry,sorry,sorry sorry,sorry,sorry:( :( :( My %$?&/" french ears or my memory tricked me!...;)

kj
08-24-2004, 07:12 AM
No worries about Doug/Tuck. It does sound much the same. Rather you should be thanked - most of our folks here enjoy a good laugh, so we'll no doubt get some mileage out of that one. My hypothesis is that he'll answer to either. :p

Regards,
- kj

kj
08-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Vajramusti
Louisa and her sister are both good wing chun people.
When in Tucson- in an unrehearsed demo- when she was
pulled past a person- she turned and gave a timely kick to the back of the puller's knee.

Ha ha – I like her already. Very generous of her to remind and reinforce about the hazards of greediness, overcommitment and overconfidence for the benefit of her training partner. ;)

Regards,
- kj

old jong
08-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Hey!...I consider it an honnor to have give Tuck his new name!...It must have a deep meaning related to his destiny.;)
Say hello to him for me.:cool:

Mark Kune
08-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi Old Jong

No worries. Doug needs a good nickname anyhow.

As for your fame, you are famous with us in Rochester, especially after christining Tuck. For others you may be inamous.

old jong
08-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey guys!...I really hope to see you again someday!...Take care.:cool: