PDA

View Full Version : Kuo Lien Ying's Shaolin syllabus

taichi4eva
07-10-2004, 09:28 AM
I know that Kuo Lien Ying, before studying Guang Ping Taijiquan, learned Shaolin as a youth. Does anybody know what forms he practiced? (Tan Tui, Broadsword, etc.)

taichi4eva
07-10-2004, 10:10 AM
What I was reading

Shaolin
"Northern Shao Lin Ch'uan is a system of martial arts developed by Buddhist monks in China to cultivate a philosophy of wellness. Time and energy are spent perfecting a centered, tranquil view of life. With regular practice, strength, flexibility, balance, and endurance are developed. Shaolin builds strength and self-confidence, and improves health, fitness, self-awareness, concentration and motivation.

The following forms of traditional Shaolin are taught at the school:

Tan Tui
Cha Ch'uan
Er Long
Broadsword

It is rare to find martial arts teachers who learned these traditional forms of gung fu 30 years ago. Shao Lin is usually taught to children and young people. It is a great opportunity for adults of all ages, as well as kids, to receive expert instruction in these practices."

First, isn't cha quan moslem, not buddhist? what is "er long"?

taichi4eva
07-11-2004, 04:21 PM
i got the following info on a website...

http://www.cultivatechi.com/f1home/shaolin.htm

mickey
07-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Hi taichi4eva,

Do a search on Marilyn Cooper. She did train under Master Kuo and might be able to provide you with information or direct you to someone who knows.

mickey

Rhat
07-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Who is Kuo Lien Ying?

NorthernShaolin
07-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Kuo Lien Ying was a personal bodyguard of Chiang Kai Shek of the Nationalist Chinese Government who escape to Taiwan. Kuo Lien Ying killed many and was honored the nickname "Mr. Tai Chi of Taiwan". He later moved to the United States and settled in San Francisco where he taught Tai Chi, Hsing-i and Northern Shaolin.

When he was over 60 years old a fight was set up with another Tai Chi master, Chang Man Ching. The fight never took place as it was discovered that it was set up by individuals who were not on the up and up. Master Chang reconized this fact and with much respect for Kuo Lien Ying, left S.F.area and went to New York to open a school and became famous.

If Master Kuo fought Master Chang, Kuo would have killed Chang because of Master Kuo training and Master Chang would not become as famous as the Tai Chi World knows him today. That fight would have changed history.

Rhat
07-19-2004, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NorthernShaolin

If Master Kuo fought Master Chang, Kuo would have killed Chang because of Master Kuo training and Master Chang would not become as famous as the Tai Chi World knows him today. That fight would have changed history. QUOTE]

LOL, you are telling a story!

;)

cerebus
07-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Well, no one can really say what would have happened if the fight had taken place. I have heard about the challenge having been issued though.

Personally, my money would have been on Kuo. That was one BAD AZZ old man! ;)

Rhat
07-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by cerebus
Well, no one can really say what would have happened if the fight had taken place. I have heard about the challenge having been issued though.

Personally, my money would have been on Kuo. That was one BAD AZZ old man! ;)

How old was Kuo?

Lokhopkuen
07-25-2004, 03:27 AM
v