PDA

View Full Version : knee injury

mikey
06-24-2001, 04:49 AM
Hello!I've got another question!
I was doing some balance/stance/sticking leg exercises (for lack of a better name) this morning in class.specifically,I was on a 3'square platform with another student,and we were trying to uproot each other with footwork only(no hands,no kicks).well,to make a long story short, I zigged when I should have zagged and got my knee bent the wrong way(not pelican wrong,but out to the side wrong).it made a cool sound,and hurt like hell for a minute.The teacher checked it out
and brought out some jow.It is several hours later and it's kind of a burden(I HATE missing training).Has this happened to any of you?what advice can you give me to speed up recovery?
by the way,I visit doctors for arterial bleeding,
and gunshot wounds only! :D

Losttrak
06-24-2001, 05:58 AM
Since a doctor is out of the question... try keeping it somewhat restricted in movement for a few days. Put some ice on it in 15 min increments with 10 min in between. Then as long as it doesnt cause excruciating pain, gently move it around to keep its mobility. After the swelling goes down then apply support and light heat. Knee wraps act like muscles and tendons to help keep it aligned. Keep up the mobility exercises. Once it isnt quite as tender to the touch, begin applying light resistance exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles again. Do not jump back in too quickly and strain it again.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

mikey
06-25-2001, 01:20 AM
thanks! :)

El_CLap
06-25-2001, 09:45 PM
Are you working out with Sifu Law?

mikey
06-26-2001, 12:08 AM
yep!
he's pretty darned good.showed me I could use a
little work with my stance.

whippinghand
06-26-2001, 12:37 AM
Horse Stance training

El_CLap
06-26-2001, 04:38 PM
My phone is out so you can't call. Are you working out at all with your injury? I'm going to train in San Antonio this weekend and need to brush up on some stuff so I don't look like a complete idiot.

dzu
06-26-2001, 08:36 PM
I would suggest getting it checked out. Any popping sounds involving the knee bending sideways is a potential for some form of ligament damage. Better to be safe than sorry.

regards,

Dzu

mikey
06-26-2001, 11:48 PM
thanks,dzu! it wound up being fine the next morning(a little tight,but no pain).
I'm still going to give it another week and a half to rest before i go 100% again.
El clap-yes,I'm still training, although for the next week and a half I'm going to take it easy on the footwork.You don't need an invitation-come over any night this week between 7 and 8