PDA

View Full Version : Water Element vs. WING CHUN

blackmantis
07-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Hey all,

I've heard that Xingyi's water element can destroy any Wing Chun defensive techniques.

Any thoughts?

S

CD Lee
07-11-2004, 05:55 PM
My first thought...that is a very simplistic and absolute statement. Common sense should tell us that such a thing is not true.

It may work well, because it is simple, very direct, no chambering, simultaneous defence/offence, and powerful. But still...if the XY guy sucks at it, and the WC guy is good, I say it won't beat the good WC guy, or any other stylist.

I had a Xingyi guy this weekend in my face. I was trying non Xingyi stuff on him, and pretty much everything I tried, he would step and say "Water" while his fist was at my face, in my sternum, at my neck, etc. I hated it. Of course that is my style as well, but I don't usually see it in my face. I expect boxers, TKD, and wrestlers. Not worried about running into Xingyi guys trying to rob me. :D

Joseph_alb
07-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Hey Lee, if you learn how to manage a Xingyi guy, imagine what you could do to a wrestler, TKD or a boxer. :D

CD Lee
07-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Yep, hey at least with those other styles, you can sort of see what is coming a little quicker. Boxers are nasty of course, at least the really fast ones.

Hehe. In the training session, it was funny. After about three or four of his fists coming up inside and planting on me (**** bony knuckles on this kid), I got to where I would have like a little reaction inside everytime I stepped forward at him. My body is like, 'hey remember what happened last time, I 'aint doin' it.
:D

Oh, btw, this was a 145 pound young man. I was really impressed at how much power he seemed to have when he was aligned. I am 210, 5'9, so I get to cheat a little. But seriously, his stucture/alignment was impressive for 145 lbs. Felt like I was running into two by fours sticking out of a wall in a fort. Yummy.