PDA

View Full Version : Bung Bo or Lanjie

YinYangDagger
07-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Simple question PM peeps.

For sole combative purposes, which would you prefer to learn, Bung Bo or Lanjie?

Cut me some slack guys, don't say both :D

Seriously, if you only learned ONE PM form, which would you prefer?

Shen Zhou
07-12-2004, 08:27 AM
If I had to pick I would have to say Bung Bo. Aside from this being my favorite form to perform it is also my favorite form to use in free fighting. I prefer it because if its fast mantis hands techniques, closing the distance techniques, arm locks, suck N’ spit energy, sweeps, etc……. There’s so much to this form that I know I can not do it justice here describing it. Over all the forms I know this one has to be on the top of the list. Direct and to the point form, get in, stay on top of the guy and beat him with every thing you have. Sorry for being overly simplistic.

Shen Zhou

YinYangDagger
07-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Great reply Shen Zhou. Thanks!

YinYangDagger
07-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the great insights shanghai_kid!

:D

ironox
07-13-2004, 02:44 AM
Hi , I Have just come across a Filipino website with the form of beng bu in pictures.

Thought it might be of interest to you NPM people

www.lingming.home.ph.qixingtanglang.htm

sean

18elders
07-13-2004, 04:43 AM
put me down for lanjie

count
07-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by YinYangDagger
Simple question PM peeps.

For sole combative purposes, which would you prefer to learn, Bung Bo or Lanjie?

Cut me some slack guys, don't say both :D

Seriously, if you only learned ONE PM form, which would you prefer?
Coming from more of a bagua guy with some mantis, I'm going to take the Lanjie side simply for power issues. :p

YinYangDagger
07-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, if this were an actual poll, from the responses it comes down to Bung Bo: 2 and Lanjie: 2.

Interesting...

mantis108
07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Please put me down for Lanjie as well.

Mantis108

Skarbromantis
07-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Put me down for Bung Bo.

Skard1

Laviathan
07-14-2004, 05:56 AM
I prefer Lanjie.

Bengbu is nice, very straightforward and agressive and all. But I like Lanjie more because of its' flow, and the techniques and power usage are more sophisticated than Bengbu, in my humble opinion.

count
07-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by shanghai_kid
Your Beng Bu has no power?
I didn't say that shanghai_kid, I love Beng Bu form. I'm just acknowledging than Lanjie has more focus on the use of the spine and thus develops real power that translates to bagua better.

count
07-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by shanghai_kid
"I love Beng Bu form. I'm just acknowledging than Lanjie has more focus on the use of the spine and thus develops real power that translates to bagua better."

Maybe it's an English language thing, sorry.

For example ... your statement above logically implies that Beng Bu has no 'real power'. Is that what you mean?

To be clearer, it's not only an implication ... that grammar itself -Lanjie has more ..and thus - just says directly that Beng Bu does not have real power becuase it's doesn't have enough focus on the spine.

If that's what you mean, that's cool. I just want to be clear. Sorry shanghai_kid, but it seems more than a language problem confusing you. My statement that one "has more focus" has no implications of the other having none. Both these forms develop characteristics essential to a complete understanding of praying mantis systems. My preference was based on which has more benefit to a bagua man. :cool:

count
07-16-2004, 11:50 AM
shanghai_kid was concerned that my comments on lanjie implied something about the ineffectiveness of bengbu. So concerned that he brought it to me in private messages. Since it wasn't my intention to imply anything about anything except my own opinion of the value of lanjie I thought it was interesting enough to discuss openly with the forum members. Of course I won't be speaking for shanghi_kid, but I was interested in some of the more expert mantis's and teachers opinions.

I only had about 3 years of mantis before I started bagua around 10 years ago. I learned about 4 mantis forms, since most of our mantis training is basics, footwork, hands, fighting. If it weren't for that foundation plus my longfist and tai chi, I could not handle the requirments of bagua. If you ask a different way, I might say my favorite is zaiyao but if I could only learn one mantis form it would be beng bu. But lanjia helped develop more power from the spine. This helped my bagua more than others for power. But if it helps, beng bu helped my fighting more than the others.

I'm happy for your passion in the praying mantis system.

count
07-16-2004, 06:42 PM
It's just a discussion. I took out the reference's to you in the post and I doubt BTL would have a need to lock this one. ;)

BeiTangLang
07-16-2004, 11:03 PM
I would ask that if you wish to talk about power generation vs. "For sole combative purposes, which would you prefer to learn, Bung Bo or Lanjie?" that you create another thread for it,
so that the person that asked the question will just get straight answers to it. To alter another persons thread to another subject is what I consider "hijacking" a thread.

Discussing power generation concepts & ideas pertaining to mantis will not be a reason to lock down a thread.
Never has been.

As a side-note; I suppose if you just do not want to discuss your opinions on the subject (in a personable manner in the forum), A PM is the best way to go.

Best Wishes to all,
~BTL

YinYangDagger
07-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Out of all the PM'ers that read this, only a few gave feedback anyway. Just a simple answer is all I was seeking. Maybe I should have just done a Poll to start with.

BaldMonk
07-17-2004, 01:36 AM
I'm gonna say Bong bu, just cause I've played with the apps more than Lanjie. This may change with time.

Peace
Baldy

devout
07-17-2004, 04:02 PM
bengbu

one reason...

I am something of a "husky lad"
so getting up to go to the bathroom in the dead of night could involve some crushing steps.

HouZiPiGu
07-18-2004, 01:53 AM
beng bu and lan jie aside, i'm pretty partial to the "tang lang rang ni choke on dese nuts" form.

;)

yu shan
07-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Tai Chi Mei Wa Lanjie