PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on, or experiences with Wushu.

Midnight
07-12-2004, 06:46 AM
Well I finally found myself a school that teaches Wushu here. Went for my first class not long ago. And wow, what a change of pace.

I've been through a few martial arts schools in the past, just to see what all was out there and available in my city. I've never been through such a lower body workout in my life. At almost a week after my first free session, my thighs are just beginning to really loosen up. And I'm glad they are getting better because I can't wait to go back for more.

Curious on other peoples opinions/experiences with this art?

TenTigers
07-12-2004, 07:27 AM
I had the honor of taking some classes with Yu Shaowen-four year Beijing Wu-Shu Champ-team mate of Jet Li. What an amazing workout, just basic line drills,but it put a four day hurtin on me. Shaowen was amazing-he was kind, patient, and precise.
I don't know if he teaches anymore, but if he does, he is worth anyone's time to experience his skill. This is coming from a Hung-Ga guy!

Shaolinlueb
07-12-2004, 07:54 AM
my experience has been good with wushu so far. good workout and stuff and basics are good. most the basics we do are wushu ones anyways. im still more traditional though.

Midnight
07-12-2004, 07:59 AM
TenTigers,

Thats exactly the case with me.... Line Drills, and I'm still sore.

I was given the opportunity to participate in both the beginner class, and the intermediate class. I was ready to die just after the beginner class.

The beginner class consisted of an hour of line drills, which were mainly kick based, with some footwork and stance drills.

The intermediate class was all in the air for an hour. Scissor kicks, circle kicks, etc. etc.

Examples what I was asked to do in my first day:

1 - With arms out stretched at shoulder height on either side of my body. I have to kick my left palm with my right foot. Then vice versa with the other foot. Body was only allowed to move above the belt, your hand was not allowed to meet your foot half way, back and shoulders must remain straight.

2 - Cart Wheels....without the hands...

3 - As seen in many martial arts movies (unfortunately the name of this movement escapes my mind at the moment) I was asked to do a double-kick behind my back. (spin into the air, kicking out behind you with each foot in turn, and then landing facing the same direction as I began) Sorry for the crude description on this one, hopefully you all can understand what I'm talking about.

Once I finished both hours of training, I was asked to sit out and watch the final hour. This was an extension to the intermediate class. Which was all focus put towards forms. For the most part it was all non-weapon forms. However I did manage to see one of the vetrans practice his staff forms.

MasterKiller
07-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Midnight
3 - As seen in many martial arts movies (unfortunately the name of this movement escapes my mind at the moment) I was asked to do a double-kick behind my back. (spin into the air, kicking out behind you with each foot in turn, and then landing facing the same direction as I began) Sorry for the crude description on this one, hopefully you all can understand what I'm talking about. Butterfly kicks?

Midnight
07-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Masterkiller,

Yup, that would be the one.