PDA

View Full Version : My first "hands on" Lion Dance

Judge Pen
07-12-2004, 07:52 AM
This weekend I went to Atlanta to work out with a friend of mine and his gung fu group. He studies under Sifu Chad Myers in Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut, Fut-San Branch. Master Salvatera came down from S.F. for the Atlanta Asian Cultual Arts Festival and they put on several demonstrations.

It turned out they were short a student to do a couple of Lion Dances and put me in the tail end of one of them (appropriate for me to be the Lion’s arse). Now I'd only seen a Lion Dance in person one time before so it was a learning experience to say the least. Fun stuff nonetheless.

If you are in Atlanta you should check out Sifu Myer's group. They are excellent martial artists and class acts. They were very hospitable and open with me in their group this weekend. Master Salvatera is amazing and also very open and hospitable.

Ray Pina
07-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Can be rough, huh?

I lion danced for a few years; of course we did Chinese New Years but also weddings and what not, even performed for the Dali Lama.

So, did you hold anyone up on your horse stance so they could get the lettace/cash?

Judge Pen
07-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Nah, another lion did that. They kept it a little more simple since I was a Lion virgin. It was fun. The horse stance wasn't bad; I train in that enough, but it was difficult keeping the waist bent the entire time. Plus under a Lion quilt in Atlanta in July is a fairly hot job, too. I think I did ok for zero experience and zero practice time! Just watch his feet and keep up!

Shaolinlueb
07-12-2004, 10:10 AM
nice man. :D sounds like it was fun.

Ray Pina
07-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Yea, the tail can be torturous. Especially if you're flapping back their and the head is very enthusiastic and you don't know which way to go.

Always seemed like I'd be under their forever and then they would begin the hung po thing without someone coming and tapping me out..... later, with some seniority, I would just play the cymbals.