PDA

View Full Version : How long do I keep my strength?

IronFist
07-12-2004, 07:09 PM
I just finished 2 PTP cyles and now I'm feeling pretty strong.

But I feel like I need to do something else now, which will obviously be higher reps and less weight.

Now all other programs are longer than 2 week PTP cycles, so in designing one, how long can I stay away from the heavy weights before my strength starts going down? Would it benefit me to have a "heavy day" once every two weeks or something just to make sure my muscles don't forget what heavy weights feel like?

Cuz I'd be really ****ed if I exercised another way for a while and then couldn't even squat 225 when I finished (which has happened before).

Ford Prefect
07-13-2004, 06:13 AM
Most of what I read is that detraining is likely to occur after two weeks, and rapidly accelerates from that point forward. Your body likes being lazy. Of course, it is much easier to recover than to actually initially gain those levels.

IronFist
07-13-2004, 12:11 PM
I like being lazy, too.

I'm running some ideas through my head for what to do now. I'll post them when I get a chance.

rubthebuddha
07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
I like being lazy, too. thank you, captain obvious.

now go do some cardio. :D

IronFist
07-13-2004, 03:35 PM
^ lol

FooFighter
07-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Iron,

Why do you feel like doing something else now after two weeks of PTP? Are you on a long term periodization plan? Usually after two weeks, your strength should decrease if you dont do anything at all. However, I would keep doing PTP and maybe God forbid do some cardiovascular training if I was you. From reading your past treads I bet if I did an complete assessment I would guess that your flexibility, endurance, and agility would be your weak links. Jumping rope like a refined boxer might be a good idea? Why dont you find what is your weakest links and improve from there, Iron? By the way, not squating 225 is not the end of the world.

Toby
07-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by FooFighter
From reading your past treads I bet ... that your ... endurance ... would be your weak links.And Captain Obvious' sidekick, Perceptive Boy!

IronFist
07-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by FooFighter
Iron,

Why do you feel like doing something else now after two weeks of PTP?

I feel the need for higher volume, at least temporarily.

From reading your past treads I bet if I did an complete assessment I would guess that your flexibility, endurance, and agility would be your weak links.

Flexibility: I am very flexible. I can almost do the splits and I can stand up and bend forward and put my face on my shins without warming up. I can sit on my knees and lean back all the way, etc. Proving once again weight lifting doesn't hinder flexibility.

Endurance, yeah that could probably use some work.

Agility, nope. I'm good.

Jumping rope like a refined boxer might be a good idea? Why dont you find what is your weakest links and improve from there, Iron? By the way, not squating 225 is not the end of the world.

Not squatting 225 isn't the end of the world for a BWE-nazi, but if your 1RM goes from 315 to 225 in a few weeks, there's something pretty wrong with that.

fa_jing
07-13-2004, 09:29 PM
I think you should try this, once a week maybe - warmup, do some heavy low rep work, just a few reps, then back down significantly in weight and do some volume work. If you do the volume work on the way down, it won't detract from your 1RM development from what I've heard.

IronFist
07-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
I think you should try this, once a week maybe - warmup, do some heavy low rep work, just a few reps, then back down significantly in weight and do some volume work. If you do the volume work on the way down, it won't detract from your 1RM development from what I've heard.

You know, I was thinking about something like that. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still playing with a bunch of ideas in my head.

FooFighter
07-14-2004, 05:45 AM
IronFist

Since you feel the need for higher volume while dont you try the higher volume cycle found in PTP? It is very possible for you to do 4-6 sets of 5 in PTP. I am happy to see that you are flexibile and you are a poster child for lifters who are flexible. You and Van Dame have something in common. What I meant by not squating is not the end of world is there are more important things to worry about in martial performance. If you make money from squating 225 or more, than by all mean do it and be the best at it. It is just my humble opinion that all of us often get caught in the classical mess of over attainment or exactness of reps,weights, and sets. True freedom is beyond any methodology and especially the ones which we want to attain in our minds. If there were no reps/weight/sets, then what is left for us to do?

Toby
07-14-2004, 06:59 AM
Become fat and lazy? Or was that a rhetorical question like this one is?

FooFighter
07-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Toby, LOL.... Maybe being fat and lazy isnt a bad thing? The question was meant to invoke deeper understanding. I am sure you have probably heard through your martial artist training that there is a conceptional difference of no form and having no form; of being and becoming. Ahhhh nevermind, Toby... Yes be fat and lazy sounds like a good answer.

IronFist
07-14-2004, 01:04 PM
I don't want to do many sets of 5, either, because that still doesn't do much for muscular endurance. I noticed this when I did the Bear program a year ago, and then I noticed it again when someone hit me in the head with the SAID brick and goes "duh, you moron, what did you expect would happen?"

Ford Prefect
07-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Iron,

You ever think of doing these two formats. Both of which will build endurance and strength. I've done them both with good results:

Ladder:

Big lifts like bench, pull-ups, deadlifts and squats are done in 5 sets. x8, x6, x4, x2, fail

Obviously you keep increasing the weight until you get to the 2 reps. Then you drop down to the weight you did 8 reps with and do it to failure.

Doubles:

Get your 2 RM and start from there. Basically you'll want to be able to do 10 sets of 2 reps with 60 seconds rest between sets. When you can complete all 10 sets of 2 reps, then drop the rest to 45 seconds. When you can do that then drop to 30 seconds... 20 seconds... 10 seconds... Eventually you'll be doing 10-20 reps of your old 2RM. Then you can test for your new 2RM and take it from there....

FatherDog
07-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect

Ladder:

Big lifts like bench, pull-ups, deadlifts and squats are done in 5 sets. x8, x6, x4, x2, fail

Obviously you keep increasing the weight until you get to the 2 reps. Then you drop down to the weight you did 8 reps with and do it to failure.

Ford - what would your opinion on combining this with Westside protocols be? Ie, for max effort days, starting with 5 reps, and going up in weight to your 1RM max, and then dropping to the last weight you finished 5 reps with and doing it to failure?

Good way to increase endurance while doing Westside, or overtraining waiting to happen?

Ford Prefect
07-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Could potentially overtrain you, but it's possible to do. Just ease off on the supplemental and accessory work.

FatherDog
07-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Heh, shouldn't be too much of a problem - I do weights on my lunch hours, so I'm already very low on supplemental and accessory work, since I don't really have time to do it :D