PDA

View Full Version : Knockout power

S.Teebas
10-16-2001, 09:28 PM
How do you train for knockout power?

S.Teebas

ExitusDeorum
10-16-2001, 09:34 PM
Do you mean by that, the power needed to knock an opponent unconcious with a single blow? Cos if you do, well I'd have to answer - I don't! Perhaps styles like Karate or maybe the souhern styles teach power techniques like that - and I respect that - but my sifu always teaches true 7* methods. That is; attack, attack fast, don't stop attacking until you've won.
Just my opinion, but I favour multiple attacks over relying on a single blow any day. :)

"Cry shamefully and let loose the turnips of war!"

JWTAYLOR
10-16-2001, 09:39 PM
With a heavy bag.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Jaguar Wong
10-16-2001, 09:50 PM
I second JWT's post.

Neon Genesis has a good point, but it's not wrong to develop KO power, it's wrong to rely on it. It's always good to have strong sharp strikes, which is what a heavy bag will do. Of course you need the accuracy developed by things like pad/mitt drills and sparring.

If you're using your 7* techniques, and each one hits with a lot of power, you'll have a better chance of ending the confrontation quicker :)

Jaguar Wong

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2001, 09:59 PM
how do you train knockout power????

what do you think that $2 sl ut you call your wife is for??????

where's my beer?

JWTAYLOR
10-16-2001, 10:07 PM
GDA,
Exactly. When I said "heavy bag" I was talking about your wife.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

MaFuYee
10-16-2001, 10:07 PM
gda;
i dunna undastand.
r u suggesting, beating up your sl*t wife, (brazilian style) or are you suggesing beating up the men and women that your sl*t wife is sleeping with?

Why would you say that I am insane? I wouldn't say that I've lost my mind simply because I've heard the voices and seen the godless things moving in the woods. If anything, I think more clearly now than ever before. - Ash

Johnny Hot Shot
10-16-2001, 10:08 PM
What about the Makiwara boys? Smack that baby a feww hundred times a day and tell me if you don't develop KO power.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

JWTAYLOR
10-16-2001, 10:14 PM
I like a Makiwara for hand conditioning, and I like it if it's set up on a post that gives a bit. But I still think nothing is better than a heavy bag for developing real punishing power. With the exeption of an unwitting volunteer (which is what GDA is talking about, I think.)

Oh, and I mean HEAVY bag. Nothing under 150lbs is a heavy bag.

JWT

LEGEND
10-16-2001, 10:18 PM
After u learn technique u can work on your power...but I think there is a limit! Certain people at certain sizes cannot develop KO power...KO power comes from either 1 punch or more likely a combo of punches. But this is one of the reason why I picked up grappling more than striking...I don't have KO power.

A

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2001, 10:32 PM
actually she weighed 105 before i made her lose some weight.

i thought she looked fat and i't didnt make me feel quite as good to knock that skanky ho only half way accross the room. now that diry sl ut goes flying into the wall.

sure maybe some of the weight was dropped from all the teeth she lost, but i'm sure that the crack i got her hooked on has helped to.

where's my beer?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2001, 10:35 PM
MaFuYee . .. what's not to understand .. beat the ho and charge the men she's sleeping with.

why would i chase away paying customers?

where's my beer?

Braden
10-16-2001, 10:37 PM
Learn where to hit, learn when to hit, learn how to set up your hits. This is how you knock someone out - not simply by being able to hit like a truck. But of course, that doesn't hurt, so simultaneously put effort into your styles power generation exercises.

JWTAYLOR
10-16-2001, 10:43 PM
Well, that is true. Knockouts themselves have allot more to do with accuracy than power, imho. But even if you miss a sweet spot, it's nice to crack a skull anyway.

JWT

Jaguar Wong
10-16-2001, 11:26 PM
JWT, lol. It's also good to see that look on their face when they try to cushion that lead leg roundhouse not expecting it to pack so much sting in it (cause it's a lead leg and all). Ya gotta move in and follow with the hands after that ;)

Or better yet, plant a good sharp lead leg roundhouse to the thigh, and see a look of near relief in their eyes as they ponder how much they thought it was going to hurt, not realizing there are two more fully chambered ones coming in. After the third kick, the opponent usually puts some distance between us real quick :). Maybe I should just use two, and then move in with the mitts.

Legend, there's a 140 pounder that spars with us, and I really don't like taking his punches. We're not even going full contact, but he has a lot of "person" behind his shots. He's really light, and easy to sweep, or lift, but if you give him an opening, he'll blast you with a combo of stingers. That last hook as he fades out has almost knocked me on my 200+ butt more than once. :) Trust me, little guys can have KO power, as long as they listen to what Braden and JWT mentioned. "Power + Speed + Accuracy = KO/UFC Champ" ;)

Jaguar Wong

LEGEND
10-16-2001, 11:52 PM
jaguar...i'm sure they're exceptions...like JEN PULVER. But for the most...little guys have trouble ko bigger guys...best for them to grapple and eye gouged hard.

A

SevenStar
10-17-2001, 07:33 AM
Combine jaguar, braden and JWT's posts, and you have a pretty good idea.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair