PDA

View Full Version : Spm Defense against a boxers Jab?

TheBlackDragons
07-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Over all I know THe Boxers jab Is hard to Defend against
I know the classic defense is just to slap them away or just evade them

Is there any good spm Techniques that block /counter
Jabs ,, They are very anoying when you are sparring
a boxer and he keeps throwing those pesky jabs

Andrew
07-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Bi Jong

David Jamieson
07-18-2004, 01:43 PM
I don't know about spm as I don't practice it, but, a ridge hand block is a good destruction against a jab, as well as a centre line jab deflects a jab.

pak sao also works, but you gotta be quick to get it. As does a bong sao, a weave, a retreat, a duck or an oblique absorption.

Come to think of it, it is not all too difficult, with a little practice to kill the power in a jab. Step in and cut it off is another way, but stepping in cuts the power on most forward thrown strikes with the exception of an uppercut which is difficult to cut off because it is launched inside to begin with.

X-Warrior
07-18-2004, 08:48 PM
With the basic stance of the mantis you hold both of your open palms in front of you, away from the body and on your body's imaginary center line. If you are in the left lead, your left hand is slightly forward from your right and it is held at about shoulder hight. It is not very easy to throw a jab with your opponent already covering the center line. From this position the mantis practitioner can easily take that slight move and redirect the jabbing hand's power. After the jabbing fist passes the guard the blocking mantis hand touches the arm - usually by the elbow - and just before the fist would land on it's target, the entire arm is pushed aside and most likely causes loss of balance for the jabber.

Of course you are as good as your skill is. A good boxer can defeat the hands of a bad mantis practitioner and vice versa. I have seen both. The outcome of a fight is way too complex to be restricted to the style or particular techniques only. Techniques are only tools and how effective your tool is mainly depeds on you, the user.

-X-