PDA

View Full Version : Master Chen Xiaowang Seminar In Chicago

apl
07-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that Master Chen will be conducting a seminar in Chicago this September. Details below.

Rockford Taijiquan and Hyde Park Taijiquan are pleased to announce that
Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang will be coming to Chicago, Illinois to conduct a
weekend seminar covering the Silk Reeling Exercises and Standing Practice
of the Chen family Taijiquan system.

Don't miss this opportunity to study with the 19th generation principal
representative of the Chen family Taijiquan system during his first trip to teach in Chicago.

Early registration is recommended and is now being accepted. Details are below.

Instructor:
Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang

Topic:
Silk Reeling Exercises and Standing Practice of the Chen family Taijiquan system.

When:
Saturday and Sunday, September 11 + 12, 2004
9:00am - 4:30pm

Where:
University of Chicago
Ida Noyes Hall, 3rd floor theater
1212 East 59th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637

Please feel free to contact us via email or phone for more information,
directions, or any questions.

Best regards,

Jim Criscimagna
Rockford Taijiquan
815-636-0530 (Rockford, Illinois - school year number)
619-460-9634 (La Mesa, California - summer number)
jimangcris@netzero.net

Andy Loria
Hyde Park Taijiquan
773-960-2305
aloria@uchicago.edu

SPJ
07-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Love to go. But I am tied up with my work.

I attended the Vet School at Iowa State.

I have many classmates working in Chicago.

The weather would be nice this time of the year.

Can't deal with the snow in the winter. I am in So Cal now.

:mad:

count
07-14-2004, 07:51 AM
apl,

Welcome to the forum. I grew up in Hyde Park but I'm living in California now. This workshop sounds like a great opportunity. I'll be in Chicago next month, unfortunately I won't be staying long enough to attend your workshop. Any chance I could visit your classes while I'm there? If I can't get a chance to meet you folks, pass regards to Master Chen from Sifu Jason Tsou and his students in Monterey Park, CA.

apl
07-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Hello Jason,

Good to hear from a fellow Hyde Park-er and thank you for the welcome. Where did you live in Hyde Park? You are definitely welcome to come by class and/or meet outside of class. Call or email me to let me know when you will be in the area.

Too bad you won't be around for the seminar but Master Chen will be in a number of areas in California. I will be doing the San Diego "city camp" at Bill Helm's Taoist Sanctuary at the beginning of August.

This will be Master Chen's first seminar in Chicago but has been been coming to Rockford and Madison for a number of years before. The seminar location will be quite nice as it is in an old Gothic style theater on the University of Chicago Campus.

Look forward to meeting you.

Andy Loria
(773)960-2305
aloria@uchicago.edu

count
07-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Actually Andy,

Jason is my teacher, my name is Jeff. Jason translated an article/interview last year for Inside Kung Fu Magazine since he knows Master Chen, speaks Mandrin and English, and also understands Chen Tai Chi. In other words, they speak the same language. LOL

I graduated from Kenwood Academy back in the '70's and lived all over but mostly around 53rd and Hyde Park Blvd across the street from The Del Prado Hotel. I still get cravings for Ribs & Bibs to this day. :p

I've also been to the Taoist Center in San Diego and met Bill at the time. Too bad, the beginning of August is when I will be in Chicago. If you are still on the coast after the 8th, maybe you would like to drive up here to LA. I know where the good Chen style and Baguazhang is here. If you'll be in Chicago the first week of August, also let me know. Send a PM or e-mail your schedule. Or does your school have a website where I could see the class schedule?
Jeff "count" Kabaker

apl
07-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Jeff,

My aplogies for the misunderstanding. Concering Hyde Park, I know the 53rd st. area well as do most folks who live here. But I lived on the corner of 53rd and Kimbark (across from Kimbark plaza) and know live on 54th and Woodlawn which is much more peaceful. I used to eat at Ribs-N-Bibs all the time. Haven't in a while for some reason.
I will indeed be in San Diego from July 29th until August 9th. Bad timing eh? Well, give me a ring or email the next time you are in town. Always enjoy meeting new people with similar interests.

apl

apl
07-27-2004, 08:56 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that there is some inexpensive rooms available very close to the venue where Master Chen will be conducting the seminar.

The rooms are ~$50/night but are in limited quantity due to some renovations. There are plenty of other choices as well.

If you have any questions about the seminar please feel free to call or email me directly.

Warm wishes to everyone,

Andy
Hyde Park Taijiquan
(773) 960-2305
aloria@uchicago.edu