PDA

View Full Version : In honor of

Da_Moose
07-14-2004, 05:59 PM
This is posted by the VTM on behalf of the Chi Sim Family in the U.S. and Grandmaster Hoffman

The VTM Website and the Chi Sim website will soon have memorial running to visit and offer your condolences.
__________________________________________________ __

In Honor of, and respect for, Grand Master Wai Yan, we dedicate this page.

With heavy heart the Chi Sim Weng Chun Kung Fu family informs the martial arts community that Grand Master Wai Yan has passed away. He departed this world in early 2004 at over 90 years of age. Grand Master Wai Yan lived in Mei Foo Sun Chuen, Lai Chi Kok, Kowloon in Hong Kong and is survived by four sons and one daughter.

His life celebrated Weng Chun with a brilliance and humility rarely seen in the martial arts world of today. Grand Master Wai Yan gave a home to Weng Chun when he established Dai Duk Lan by bringing together three Grand Masters of Weng Chun, Lo Chiu Woon, Chu Chong Man and Tang Yick. With these three Grand Masters passing their knowledge to him, while simultaneously living and training for over 20 years with Chu Chong Man, the late Wai Yan worked for unity in the Weng Chun kung fu system. Grand Master Wai Yan became the first practitioner of Chi Sim Weng Chun to unite the three major families in one person.

Ever modest and mindful of the debt he owed to past generations, he organized a yearly celebration of Damo's (Bodhidharma) birthday in the Dai Duk Lan as a reminder of the Shaolin roots of Chi Sim Weng Chun. He shared his passion and joy for Weng Chun through his ability to show us the nature of Mind by using the reality of combat, keeping with the traditions of Shaolin kung fu. While preserving the ancient Shaolin teaching methods of the system, his teaching was also scientific and contemporary in approach.
The key to his teaching was always found in his heart-to-heart transmission, a treasure of Shaolin martial arts, showing his students the nature of their heart with humor and compassion.

Grand Master Wai Yan's dedication to training and experiencing energies enabled him to develop great skill over his lifetime. Whenever students came to visit (especially students from great distances), regardless of what the Grand Master was wearing or the time of day, he would immediately want to play Kiu Sau to test the student's skill and development while away.

Grand Master, the words "Thank You" cannot even scratch the surface of the debt we owe you. It is our sincerest hope that we can share our art with the passion, dedication, and character that you showed in your life.

Energy comes, energy plays, and energy goes. Even as this energy goes on to a new form, its impact will always stay in our lives. It will live on in the hearts and minds of the people who experienced the man, the Sifu, and the Master, known as Wai Yan. We miss you. Your spirit will live with us, always as Weng Chun - an eternal season of rebirth - in our hearts.

-- Grand Master Andreas Hoffman

kj
07-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Thank you and Andreas for sharing this thoughtful epitaph. I was not familiar with Grand Master Wai Yan prior to this writing. My sympathies to his family, friends, students and others who may suffer in such a loss.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Vajramusti
07-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Please add my sincere condolences to that of KJ.

Joy Chaudhuri

azwingchun
07-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Any time there is a loss to a family such as this, it is nothing less than a tragedy.....I send my condolences as well.

VingDragon
07-14-2004, 07:52 PM
...rest in peace...

Ultimatewingchun
07-14-2004, 07:57 PM
My condolences to all who cared for him...and may he rest blissfully.

David Peterson
07-14-2004, 09:43 PM
It is very sad to note the passing of yet another of the "Grand Old Men" of the martial arts. We all owe them a great debt for we we are today in our own training. May He Rest in Peace
DMP

anerlich
07-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Condolences to those who knew him. RIP.

Jim Roselando
07-15-2004, 12:53 AM
My condolences to GM Wai Yan's family, friends and Weng Chun Pai! Rest in peace!

PaulH
07-15-2004, 12:41 PM
It's grievous to bear the passing away of your loved one ... To GM Wai Yan who unites his three families during his humble life, I share this poem in the hope that it may comfort his people as they mourn his death:

"Then loudly cried the bold Sir Bedivere,
"Ah! my Lord Arthur, whither shall I go?
Where shall I hide my forehead and my eyes?
For now I see the true old times are dead,
When every morning brought a noble chance,
And every chance brought out a noble knight.
Such times have been not since the light that led
The holy Elders with the gift of myrrh.
But now the whole Round Table is dissolved
Which was an image of the mighty world;
And I, the last, go forth companionless,
And the days darken round me and the years,
Among new men, strange faces, other minds."

And slowly answer'd Arthur from the barge:
"The old order changeth, yielding place to new,
And God fulfils Himself in many ways,
Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.
Comfort thyself: what comfort is in me?
I have lived my life, and that which I have done
May He within Himself make pure! but thou,
If thou shouldst never see my face again,
Pray for my soul. More things are wrought by prayer
Than this world dreams of. Wherefore, let thy voice
Rise like a fountain for me night and day.
For what are men better than sheep or goats
That nourish a blind life within the brain,
If, knowing God, they lift not hands of prayer
Both for themselves and those who call them friend?
For so the whole round earth is every way
Bound by gold chains about the feet of God.
But now farewell. I am going a long way
With these thou seest - if indeed I go -
(For all my mind is clouded with a doubt)
To the island-valley of Avilion;
Where falls not hail, or rain, or any snow,
Nor ever wind blows loudly; but it lies
Deep-meadow'd happy, fair with orchard-lawns
And bowery hollows crown'd with summer sea,
Where I will heal me of my grievous wound."

Sihing73
07-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Hello,

I too was unfamiliar with Grand Master Wai Yan prior to reading this post. However, it is always a sad event when one who is cared for deeply passes on. I wish to extend my condolences and wishes for peace to his family and loved ones. Be confident that his memory will be kept in a place of honor by those who knew him and whose lives he touched.

Peace,

Dave

planetwc
07-15-2004, 09:30 PM
It is always a sad time when friends and loved ones pass on.
No doubt his legacy lives on through his disciples and students.

My Condolences to the Weng Chun community.

Chango
07-16-2004, 03:04 AM
My condolences go out to all who had the honor and pleasure of being touched by Grand Master wai Yan's energy. I can only say that his time here on this earth has helped many people world over. His time here will continue to help many people for generations to come.

Hendrik
07-19-2004, 11:11 AM
My condolences to GM Wai Yan's family, friends and Weng Chun.

May the Amida Buddha lead him to the western pureland.

Vajramusti
07-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Amitabha is indeed a true and caring friend.
Again-Best wishes for the journey.

Joy