PDA

View Full Version : Crappy deadlift carryover

Toby
07-14-2004, 08:09 PM
I had a tired lower back this morning from approaching the end of my DL cycle. I DL shoulder width stance. So I thought I'd try some sumo DL's because it seems to use less lower back. Anyway, I didn't try to learn the movement or anything, but I did try (foolishly) to DL 335 sumo style. Nothing. So I tried again. Nothing. I dropped it to 320. Nothing. Now I was ****ed off so I dropped it to 220 and did it, but it was a totally different action to shoulder width and it wasn't as easy as 220 should be. Dunno if it's worth learning sumo or not. It's like starting all over again.

Just wanted to share my crappy morning.

Serpent
07-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Well, if you want to give up like a little pu$$y b!tch, don't bother learning sumo DL. Of course, if you want a good all-round functional strength.....

Toby
07-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Lol! So shoulder width DL isn't as good as sumo? 'Cause I thought sumo would be easier. The reason I stuck with shoulder width is because I squat wide so I wanted to mix up the stances a bit.

IronFist
07-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Sumo = more glute involvement (from what I hear). I tried it a few times but I didn't like it as much.

Toby
07-14-2004, 10:50 PM
You know what it really hit? My hamstrings, exactly 1/2way between my butt and knees. It almost felt like an isolation exercise for hamstrings. I might try a cycle of it next time, in a fortnight ;) or so.

Vash
07-15-2004, 05:46 AM
Serpent has taken the correct and Clean and Jerked the b.tch.

Ford Prefect
07-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Sumo and conventional is really a matter of preference and how your built. Short, stocky guys tend to like sumo because it feels better with their short levers. I wouldn't worry about doing both. You are doing plenty with conventional dl'ing and squatting to stimulate those muscle groups.

fa_jing
07-15-2004, 11:02 AM
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/videoclips.htm

Even some big, tall guys are using the sumo stance it seems. I downloaded the 125Kilo class clip and the two heaviest lifts are made using sumo style.

Personally, I don't like it as much.
BTW, I pulled 345 the other day twice with no belt. Felt great.

Ford Prefect
07-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Yeah. It's a preference thing. It's just most short guys say the sumo feels better than conventional. Not only that, but you don't have to move the weight nearly as far to lockout. PL'ers like to cheat like that. ;)

Samurai Jack
07-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Funny this thread's up since I just hit a new PR with sumo deads yesterday (military press too, doin' the PTP thang). I like the sumo deads since they perfectly mimic the leg motion of an iaido exercise we do for cutting practice. I find sumo's hit the muscles around the hip sockets like no other lift.

Toby
07-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Crap :mad:. I did 275 today, sumo-style. It definitely doesn't hit my back as much as conventional, because (like Ford says) it's cheating and I only go down 1/2 as far. But my back was good this morning so I should've gone conventional. I just wanted to experiment a bit further with sumo. 275 wasn't easy sumo style. It wasn't hard, but harder than it should be. I usually start my PTP cycles with 290 conventional :mad:. I might do a few cycles sumo-style to see how they go. But I'm tall so it probably isn't the best style for me.

Samurai Jack, what you say is interesting. I had a killer MA class two nights ago. We worked the legs heavily. Anyway, last night and this morning I had obvious fatigue in the front of my upper thigh, right at the bottom of the suprailiac. I thought it was due to the MA workout, but I'd be interested if it was from the sumo lifts, especially with the light weight lifted.

Samurai Jack
07-16-2004, 12:58 PM
The soreness I feel is usually where the hip socket inserts into the pelvis. I often get sore in the area of the quadriceps closest to the knee and along the iliotibial band on the outside of the thigh as well.

Anyway Sumo's work for me. Although I enjoy conventional deads Sumo's more closely match certain martial movements I regularly perform. Even though I'm lifting for power, it's easier to endure long sessions with nothing heavier than my katana now that I've taken up Sumo's. It just dosen't feel like it's as much work.