PDA

View Full Version : Summer Fighting...

Martial Joe
06-25-2001, 09:43 PM
Hello my fello compodres...
...It is now summer and school is out.I plan on training alot.I think that this summer will be fun.I dont know if I should fight people along with my training.What do you guys think.I mean it is so easy to get into a fight when you are 14 years of age.I may get into maybe 2...
This hole post may seem very stupid but I think every marial artist that wants to be good should fight atleast everyonce and a while,and I think this summer is a good oprotunity for me to get out there and get beaten up...

Joe Kavey

oldwolf
06-25-2001, 10:56 PM
"Never seek out the dark side young skywalker" it will find you fast enough.

"And the crowd called out for more"

mikey
06-26-2001, 01:30 AM
I think it's a bad idea,young brother.
If you MUST fight,why not look into full contact sparring?believe me,you can get all the bruises you want and more,without your opponent's family
finding out you are a trained martial artist,and sicking the cops and their family lawyer on you and your family.Get the picture?
It doesn't matter if you started it or not,YOU will be the bad guy for not walking away,and your parents will get stuck with the medical and legal bills.If you don't think that people are really
that anal,recall the person who sued McDonalds because they spilled hot coffee on their own lap,
AND WON!people are lawsuit HAPPY these days,and your being 14 years old doesn't make your parents immune.In the eyes of the law,a trained martial artist is the same as someone carrying a gun.outside of training and competition,it should only be used in the gravest of circumstances.
Please do your best to reflect credit on your art
and live up to the higher standard that is expected of you as a martial artist, and remember why you started training in the first place.
You seem like a pretty smart guy,and I would hate to hear of you getting yourself into trouble you could have avoided.

Sharky
06-26-2001, 01:42 AM
this used to happen in china a lot - guys wanna test their skills. But i mean it isn't worth it man. Especially not in america. You might think it's school punch up - guys can come back with their dads glock cos u made em look stupid in front of their mates/girl.

I went thru this man. I won't say i WANTED a fight, but if one came up, i would want in. I think everyone goes thru this phase in the first two years (or something :D ). Anyway i, somehow, was lucky enough to be ok. But it was probably luck man. They could have knives etc. Most of the time when people have knives and are genuinely gonna stab u, it's concealed till the last second. So act like they all got knives, all the time. Dunno what ur area is like, but there are some areas, u do NOT want a fight in.

The choice, however, is up to you. Stay safe joey mate.

(Sorry this is a really bad reply - i'm in a hurry :( )

Edd

My anus is superior™

[This message was edited by Sharky on 06-26-01 at 04:48 PM.]

CanadianBadAss
06-26-2001, 02:01 AM
I'd be more then happy to beat u up. I’m 15 so the age difference isn’t that bad. Only problem is that I think u live like half a continent away. But if you're ever going to Vancouver for some reason, email me and we should get to gether. I think my dad might be going down their for a business trip next year though... but I'm not sure about that, ill email if I can go with him.

P.L.

Martial Joe
06-26-2001, 03:13 AM
I'd like that...And thanks for the replied me maties...

Hey bad ass,how long have you been in kung fu,and what style.

Martial Joe
06-26-2001, 03:15 AM
Might I add there isnt any full contact compititions for people my age around here that I know of...

TomB
06-26-2001, 02:04 PM
He buddy, I'm sorry to disapoint you, but you can better avoid the fights. I feel like a fight to sometimes, but it is never neccesary, because I always walk away. That's the best thing you can do, and it is a fact that all martial artists who reached a decent level never have to fight again. It may sound stupid to you, but you will experience it sometimes.
And why doesn't he fight? It's simple, with your WC training not only the body is trained, but especially the mind!! As you come along the road you will see that the guys to fight against are actually no match for you, and you will understand more of life itself.
A tru martial artst seeks for perfection, of the body an mind, not of compitition to proof himself, because your don't have to proof anything, and you will be the one who gets the problems, eventually.
So take my advise, and be a wise man, and do not try to prove yourself!!

Greetz,
Tom

Know what water is by drinking it.

Sihing73
06-26-2001, 03:05 PM
Hi Martial Joe,

While I can understand your desire to test yourself to an extent I would suggest not doing so. As others have pointed out there are too many negative possibilities which could result. While there are no "full contact competitions" available to you right now you may be able to establish soem friendships outside of your school and have some friendly matches. The only thing is to be careful as egos have a way of getting bruised.

I would caution you about fighting unless you have to for another reason. You could injure someone and then have to live with the knowledge that you hurt them. Or you could be injured. I am not a "bad a**" but have had my share of fights. Some from my old job as a cop. Although I can still do everything I used to I have quite a few scars to remind me of days I should have walked away. The pinkie finger of my left hand was almost severed and the tendon was cut requiring surgery. I can still use it but it will never be 100% making my punching with that hand kind of, interesting. I have been stabbed in my left arm several times. I know have a lingering pain in that arm particularily in the left bicep area. Again, I can still do everything but the pain, though minor, is there to remind me that fighting, even when you win ;), can have long lasting consequences. I have six children, 1 boy and five girls. I teach my children not to fight unless they have too. IMHO, fighting should be the last resort and only entered into if ones life is in danger or the life of someone else. If you really feel the need to test yoruself then try to find some like minded people whether of your style or others and try to to arrange a friendly exchange.

Peace,

Dave

studentsifu
06-26-2001, 03:28 PM
Martial Joe,
If you really want to test yourself, I suggest doing some full-contact sparring with your Wing Chun brothers.
Mine and I get together once every two weeks outside of class and do some roughhousing. We use those NHB gloves that have open fingers and a mouthpiece and just go at it.
It helps us see what works in a phasic, real environment.

-Tathagata

[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 06-27-01 at 09:06 AM.]

Abstract
06-26-2001, 03:46 PM
just to echo what's been said, specially by Sharky, I don't know what Pittsfield, MA is like, BUT I can tell you one example from my personal exp growin up...these 2 cats got into a fight & it was 'fair'--1 on 1, nobody jumped in, but one dude got stomped pretty bad....so a week or so after the fight he(the guy who lost)comes back and puts a few bullets in the cat who beat him up while he's sittin on the front steps of his brownstone. That is trife, but sometimes people are like that. If you wanna fight, don't go lookin for trouble, it'll find you soon enough. Fight full contact w/some pads w/the heads from your school who are down to do so, and keep it an exchange of 'friendly' comp.

Spark
06-26-2001, 04:28 PM
why don't you run by your *brilliant* idea by your sifu? I'm sure he'd be extremely proud.

Martial Joe
06-26-2001, 06:56 PM
Actually he wouldnt smartass...

Guys I only have one "wing chun brother".
He is also a middle aged man.
I dont think I could go to his house and spar with him...

CanadianBadAss
06-26-2001, 08:48 PM
I've been doing wing chun for about a year.

Theres this guy who teachs karate out of his house that just lives down the block from me. I think i might walk down there and see if he has any students that want to spar with me. But im not sure if its rude or not to do that. what do u guys think?

Martial Joe
06-26-2001, 09:00 PM
People say its rude now a days to go chalange people at there schools.But I dont see how you would be doing that.You just want some harmless sparring right? so i guess it is just the way you introduce yourself.I was thinking to do the same thing but I still dont know...

mikey
06-26-2001, 11:35 PM
I'm sure that if you approached the instructor of the other school,and explained to him that you are interested in a positive learning experience,
they might be receptive to the idea. As long as you present your idea in a respectful manner,I don't see why they would get upset at the idea of a little friendly inter-scholastic sparring! ;)
here's another idea-
try taking out an ad in the paper! there may be other people in your area that are looking for the same thing.A little initiative can go a long way.

Troy
06-27-2001, 12:46 PM
You say you know what water is by drinking it- so how are you ever gonna know what your fighting (wing chun) is like without ever fighting.

Also i dont beleive joe is trying to prove himself to anybody but himself..

ALso spark? was your statement about your sifu being pleased serious or sarcastic?

-The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war-

Sharky
06-27-2001, 03:38 PM
I think i can speak for him when i say it was a good example of sarcasm.

Are you saying that joe should go out and start fights for no reason?

You lot need to live in the areas where you really do have to fight for your lives. It will change your outlook on... everything.

Ed

My anus is superior™

Spark
06-27-2001, 06:54 PM
I know I came across as a dick, but I was being sarcastic.

I was just messin' with joe. He's a dark, gothic individual and probably didn't see that :D :D

Martial Joe
06-27-2001, 08:16 PM
I am not goth as I said before...
...Ok well lets say this if I am goth you are the cop from the village people:D

Troy~Did you fight?

Sharky~ Are those **** gipsys still bothering you?

I wrote this in another post about what I think about wing chun and fighting and it is competition wise but street couldnt hurt...

Personaly I think wing chun was made for fighting and it should stay that way.Durring the 50's all those guys fought in hong kong against everything and were very succesful.This art was made to fight and we should see some real wing chun guys fighting out there in those tournaments.I would like to see some one with real good wing chun to go in there and show his stuff.I know there is a girl who learned under wong sheun long and I am pretty sure she fights against all arts but I know that she is the champion.And that is just one lady fighting that is in wing chun and shes the champ.We should get some men who are good at this to go out there and win...

:cool: Joe Kavey :cool:

Sharky
06-28-2001, 02:43 AM
yes they are joe. Not directly, they have learnt that we are not scared. But we are moving on monday (no removal people, me and my bro will do it ourselves, as per usual - we move around a lot), and seeing as they just sit outside their house all the time n we will be in n out all the time loading the van up, it will be a miricle if we move without confrontation. I will keep u posted.

It's 1:41am and i can hear them shouting outside. Someone needs to school them hardcore. Stupid drunk ****ers.

Thanks man

Edd

My anus is superior™

Martial Joe
06-28-2001, 03:26 AM
Well Edd...I am sure further in life you will look back and be glad life wasnt so easy...it may sound funny coming from a 14 year old but my mom and dad split up and whole family used to sleep in one room and I lived on one of the worse and busiest streets in my city.I was basicaly poor.Welfare food stams you name it.And now I live in a "huge"/"pretty" house...And I am actualy really glad my life wasnt so great.I seem to know more about everything then most people my age that I know of.So just think of those drunk ****ers as experience in real life...

Joe...

Troy
06-28-2001, 01:48 PM
im not saying joe should go picking fights for no reasons...many ppl say try to talk your way out of it and avoid it. That doesnt work, if someone wants to fight you, no talking can convince them otherwise... im saying if the oppurtunity arsise smack them dont have a conversation with them.

i have been in a couple of fights most of them were before i trained but i havnt realy had any fights while training. I have hit a couple of people after i starrted training but i wouldnt call them fights

-The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war-

Martial Joe
06-28-2001, 09:35 PM
Troy put it the way it is ladies and gentalmen...
thanks man...

Sharky
06-28-2001, 09:41 PM
"whole family used to sleep in one room and I lived on one of the worse and busiest streets in my city"

Been there two man. Glad things got better.

Peace man.

My anus is superior™

Martial Joe
07-02-2001, 10:20 PM
I was sitting here readin stuff and a friend asked me if I would help him and his friends fight these kids from another highschool.
I said just keep me notified and il maybe go...
What do you think...
This one came to me so I have a choice...I may take it.

wingchunwsl
07-03-2001, 03:05 AM
didn't wong shun leung and william cheung challenge other fighters in hong kong though? i don't think getting into real fights are good but friendly contests i think would be ok. just my opinion.

Martial Joe
07-03-2001, 03:23 AM
Yeah I feel almost the same.I think if some one wants to fight you and there is no serious danger besides getting beaten up by that person then you should go for it.But this is all coming from a 14 year old kid who wants to be a fighter...
...Not everyone wants to be a fighter and thinks like I do...

Spark
07-03-2001, 03:00 PM
Maybe you should weight out the reason your buddies are getting in this fight. If your friends just looked at them the wrong way and now they want to fight, I wouldn't bother. But if they punched out someone's girlfriend, then I'd probably be there.

Just don't do it in haste.

edward
07-03-2001, 04:48 PM
I'm not saying to do this or not... but if i was talking to myself... i'd say.. go fight, get your ass kicked, and then get it out of your system.

Kristoffer
07-03-2001, 05:13 PM
Joe, you are more stupid than I first thought.

Being a martial artist means that u have to train your MIND aswell as your body. stupid kid.

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

Martial Joe
07-03-2001, 07:50 PM
Your a retard man...
So you are saying if you fight some one it is bad for you.If some one wants to grow up to be a half way decent fighter they are going to train realisticly.I make fighting part of my training for later on in life when I am old enough to fight full grown men in full contact competitions,I will have some experience....
I dont see how I am stupid by wanting to train realisticly.

wingchunwsl
07-03-2001, 08:12 PM
what happened between ur friends and the other guys? what made them want to go fight each other anyway?

Martial Joe
07-03-2001, 09:04 PM
I havent found out yet.I never told you that because of dicksoffer...I kinda got cought up in what he said.But I dont know yet.Ill tell you when I find out...

Kristoffer
07-08-2001, 10:50 AM
*sigh*
How is getting beaten up going to get u experience? LoL, u amuse me..

What would u think if some loco Kung Fu ***** jumped u on the street and beat the hell out of u? :D I dont think u would be all that happy? Oh, but before he leaves he says "dont worry, it was all a 'reality-test" I guess u feel better now huh? What if someone jumped your dad, oryour mom /sister or brother..? You dont have to ACT like a 3 years old baby boy just becouse u are one.

Grow up.
im outta here

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"