PDA

View Full Version : I defeated a WC guy in mortal combat!!!

rogue
06-27-2001, 05:25 AM
Actually we just worked out for around 45 minutes, did some show me yours I'll show you mine, and some light sparring.
Just thought I'd share the highlights, I'll leave out the Microsoft vs Open Source conversation, I'm doing it here to cut down on the ****ing contest that happens on the main forum.

Things I noticed about his fighting, (note: his fighting, not WC):

The good:
1. Fast hands. Much faster than mine.

2. Very good counter-attacker.

3. Good at blocking lowline kicks and good enough at handling roundhouse kicks.

4. Good at locking up my foot. Almost landed on my arse several times from that.

The not so good:
1. Weak on the attack, very predictable. This surprised me. Mostly tried to get me to react by throwing lots of feints. Chain punched for an attack but I caught those on my forearms and we managed to end up in a clinch.

2. Seemed to have trouble changing directions while moving forward.

3. Walked into side kicks several times. After talking to him it's more of a problem of reading my body language than lack of solutions on his part. Also when I was taking WC I had seen a fellow student who was a WTF TKD guy use the same tactics, so I was kind of cheating.

My part(TKD & karate):
The good:
1. Throwing a kick that he knew how to counter, like the roundhouse, usually set him up for a side kick follow-up. TKD kicking combos worked, he just never trained for them.

2. Isshinryu inside techniques worked much the same way and about as well as his did.

3. Karate and TKD pivoting footwork was good at creating angles on him and setting up counter attacks.

The bad:
1. Not retracting my arm quick enough, ouch!!! Climbed my arm like a monkey and got me in an arm lock. Switched from the penetrating TKD punch to Isshinryu verticle punch, much better.

2. Thinking he couldn't handle a roundhouse kick. Made that mistake several times. Doh!!

3. Trying to go center-line to center-line with him. Can you say disaster for Rogue? Knew you could. I got clipped on the chin and did land on my arse doing that.

He said his lineage but I can't remember what it was, I do know it wasn't Francis Fong or Garrick Edwards.

He's got a little over 2 years training under his belt but is currently taking a break due to work.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

Watchman
06-27-2001, 05:57 AM
Sounds like you had some fun, Rogue.

Here's my critique on his approach:

Weak on the attack, very predictable. This surprised me. Mostly tried to get me to react by throwing lots of feints.

Sounds like he needs to devote some serious time to practicing his bridging. No feinting should even have to be done to provoke contact - bridge forward and attack toward the coreline to either disrupt balance, or establish bridge if the opponent covers himself.

He was probably afraid of your d@mn sidekicks and was playing cautious by using feinting tactics to provoke you rather than risk having your foot buried in his belly.

Point #1) Needs to work on his footwork.

Chain punched for an attack but I caught those on my forearms and we managed to end up in a clinch.

Chain punching for initial attack? :confused: Big no-no. What you did was the perfect response to that - absorb with your arms and clinch.

Point #2) Needs to work on his bridge establishing and hand chasing problem.

BTW, were you guys calling it good at the clinch?

Seemed to have trouble changing directions while moving forward.

Point #3) See point #1 above.

Walked into side kicks several times. After talking to him it's more of a problem of reading my body language than lack of solutions on his part.

Your assessment hit the nail on the head. You're talking to a long practiced side-kick eater here as well.

Throwing a kick that he knew how to counter, like the roundhouse, usually set him up for a side kick follow-up. TKD kicking combos worked, he just never trained for them.

I don't understand. Was he just blocking the roundhouse without penetrating forward with his footwork? If he's chasing your legs as well you'll definitely be able to shishkabob him on your foot.

Point #4) See point #1 above.

Karate and TKD pivoting footwork was good at creating angles on him and setting up counter attacks.

How so? Does the pivot footwork put you coming in at a 45 degree angle toward him?

Thinking he couldn't handle a roundhouse kick. Made that mistake several times. Doh!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sounds like a good "friendship exchange" all around!

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

Not to tire of learning is wisdom;
Not to weary of teaching is benevolence.
-- Tzu-kung

IronFist
06-27-2001, 08:23 AM
Isshinryu!!

That was the first style I ever studied, when I was in 2nd grade.

Isshinryu has a vertical fist, like Wing Chun, but the thumb placement is different. I actually respect that style of karate more than most.

Iron

tnwingtsun
06-27-2001, 09:15 AM
Fongs 2 year student?,don't get me wrong,I have trained with Francis and like him,but on the other hand you were judging WT clips,man,if you had problems with that guy,you'd have your hands full with a WT guy,given 2 years training

rogue
06-27-2001, 02:49 PM
This was the guy I met at the gym a couple of weeks back. The guy comes into town from the Jersey / PA area once in the while, works as a consultant for IBM. Nice guy.

"I don't understand. Was he just blocking the roundhouse without penetrating forward with his footwork? If he's chasing your legs as well you'll definitely be able to shishkabob him on your foot."

When he penetrated forward on the roundhouse that's when he'd get me, sometimes I'd throw the kick early and he'd lean back before coming in to let it pass, then when he came in the side kick was on it's way. I still fall for this one myself.

"Chain punching for initial attack? Big no-no. What you did was the perfect response to that - absorb with your arms and clinch."

The time he did this I was in a tight boxers stance with my hands up and in (at least that's what I was trying to do), I think he may have been trying to either open me up or just trying to make something happen, but I'm just guessing.

"BTW, were you guys calling it good at the clinch?"
Darn tootin!!! Both of us have clients to get to this morning and it looks bad showing up with missing teeth and black eyes. We took it easy across the board, keeping it fun. Anyway we were in an empty aerobics studio at the gym, no mats.

"How so? Does the pivot footwork put you coming in at a 45 degree angle toward him?"
Best pivot put me at about 45 and set me up to use a side kick (basically a spinning side kick), but remember that he's also moving in so sometimes that plan changed. He caught on to this after a while and tagged me in the back. Went to the well to many times.

tnwingtsun,
I said he didn't train with either Fong or Edwards. As far as I know he's a closed door student working out in Bruce Lees backyard. His sifus name isn't familiar to me. Also it was friendly, we were just working out, not trying to prove who was the biggest bada$$. Both of us let some good counters go by and we stayed away from eye gouges and neck breaks. :rolleyes:
Was he a better fighter than me, probably. He was better on chaining techniques like the arm lock he got me in, I was better at free fighting. It's a matter of how each trained.

Ironfist, I've noticed some sililarities with Isshinryu and WC. There's a definate CMA influence on the art.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

[This message was edited by rogue on 06-28-01 at 05:57 AM.]

Martial Joe
06-27-2001, 08:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> did some show me yours I'll show you mine [/quote]

Sorry couldnt stop myself :D :D