PDA

View Full Version : Mabu: Quality Or Quantity?

One Finger Zen
07-19-2004, 11:02 AM
hey everyone,

Just thought I'd post this thread to enquire about what everyone else thinks on this issue.
I used to do mabu for about 20-25 minutes each day until very recently. Nowadays I usually do 10-15 minutes and rarely go beyond 20 minutes. The question is this; quality or quantity?

In my humble opinion, quality is the key factor here. If you do say, 20 minutes mabu, you may endure it but ask yourself this; did the mabu feel rooted? Because if the answer is no, then it just diminished into a simple exercise and it is then far from its true meaning. The true meaning of mabu, i think, is to build up qi and attain a strong root. The 'internal dynamo' or dan tien should be kept in mind when doing mabu. For example, the other day I did 10 minutes mabu and felt incredibly rooted.

Hung Gar, like any other southern chinese martial art, cannot emphasise enough on the mabu.

I'd love to hear everyone elses opinion on this matter, conflicting or contrasting :D.

Peace OFZ ;)

P.S. Anyone else noticed after mabu, the legs feel really refreshed and energised? Amazing!!

Ben Gash
07-20-2004, 04:34 AM
Also though, ten minutes of quality Mabu is much better exercise than thirty minutes of bad Mabu. Indeed three minutes of really hardcore, pole across the thighs Mabu is probably better.
Not to mention more time efficient.

blooming lotus
07-20-2004, 05:13 PM
agree.....

also for a variation and to increase muscular endurance over better range, I like to do sets of 50 - 100 x??? don't come all the way up, but do go all the way down, and get that butt pointing at the wall :D :D

PaiLumDreamer
07-20-2004, 08:30 PM
I think it should be both. Hold a good one for as long as you can, and try to increase that. Currently my focus is to build leg strength with my horse stance. Whenever I train my stance, I do it as best as I can. I usually say "Im going to do this for so and so amount of time." I try to build myself up, because they eventually start timing how long I can hold it for rank testing. Im not able to "build up qi" yet, since im still weak. I cant focus on anything other than my legs.

I bet thats just because I dont practice enough. Hm.

blooming lotus
07-20-2004, 08:45 PM
if you can get your stances moving you get strength over rom...........your general leg strength 'll increase rapidly and measurably......I think there's somthing to be said for stretches in this instance as well.........

there aremany ways to build qi and dong it while you exert physical energy is not neccessary..........you can do sitting meditations or even whilst laying down........just concetrate on your danten and as you breath in know that the energy ( qi) goes first ( as your main "burner / heater" visioned as an orange flame???) to heat your bellows below your lungs filling your lungs with steam that on your ehale permeats and cleanses your entire body through each microcell......this is a good begginner exercise.......creative visualisation is also a good to tool to incorperate if you can manage ;)

PaiLumDreamer
07-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the tip BL, but I was talking about specifically in a horse stance. I used to meditate a while back...that was great. I stopped, though.

Now I do Chi Gung everyday. Or at least I try to, sometimes I just get busy/lazy.

Eddie
07-21-2004, 12:38 AM
P.S. Anyone else noticed after mabu, the legs feel really refreshed and energised? Amazing!!

I read once in a bodybuilding magazine, that your body releases testosterone when you exercise. According to the article, if you lack energy on a day, start doing leg exercises (squads etc). Your leg muscles are the larger muscles in your body, and by doing some squads, your body will release more testosterone, which will result in you having more energy.

Im not to sure on what this research was based, but I have also noticed that after a good leg work out session I have more energy.

Personally, I don’t think one need to do extra stance training outside your normal forms training. If you practice forms correctly (with low, deep stances) I think it should be sufficient. You will have the necessary ‘spring’ in your legs and your muscle will be more flexible than if you only do static stance training.

In Lee Koon Hung’s Book the Dynamic Art of fighting, GM Lee Koon Hung actually says that one should not keep your stances so long (Its all about muscle memory).

PaiLumDreamer
07-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Holding it steady and holding it well in forms. Both are very good, and both are needed. If you can do one, and not the other, than something is lacking. I say, work on what you dont have.

One Finger Zen
07-21-2004, 04:50 AM
Some good stuff here guys and gals.

Just as an insight, what is everyones top time for mabu (longest time should I say)?

Just wondered.....

Peace, OFZ