PDA

View Full Version : looking for good school/sifu in Seattle

putz30
07-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Does anyone know of a good school or instructor in Seattle? I've been doing Oom Yung Doe for a couple of years and am looking to get into a more "valid" kung Fu style. OYD has a VERY money based training doctrine, meaning the more you pay and do extra seminars, the faster you get to your black belt. So, there's a lot of rich but unskilled black belts, and I don't want to be a part of that.

I actually work and train very hard and consistently, too, but I have been passed by people of lesser skill because I won't pay money up front, nor do I partake in extra $450 seminars that are only 2 hour classes. The thing is, I actually love the training and much of what is taught is good and helpful, but I think overall the school is pretty suspect. I've read a lot of bad history on the school, and although I think it's somewhat reformed now, they still seemed very geared towards making Master Kim a rich man.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm looking for something where I can study long forms, tai chi... not really interested in "kick-ass" mentality training. I'm still recovering from a car accident where my pelvis and femur were crushed and SI bone fractured, so that also needs to be taken into account.

Fu-Pow
07-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Get out of Oom Yung Doe....now!!! It's a frickn' cult.

Check out....

www.makskungfu.com

Fast paced, younger crowd. More strenuous workout.

$85/ month, train as much as you want.

www.taoiststudiesinstitute.org

Chen Taiji, BaGua and Xing Yi. Slower paced, older crowd. Very good for you if you are recovering from an accident.

Ongoing Class Fees
Monthly class fees:

Classes / Week
1 $50
2 $80
3 $95
4 $120
5 or more $145

I'll tell you some schools to avoid if you PM me.

Take care!

phoenix-eye
07-19-2004, 04:47 PM
How's about traditional Hung Gar?

http://willn34.home.mindspring.com/kungfu/kungfu.html

Cheers

Paul

putz30
07-19-2004, 04:58 PM
I've looked at both styles but I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I do have a friend who likes the Seattle Kung Fu Club, but I also got a recommendation for the WA Kung Fu Club as well.

How to know which to choose? I'm a little gunshy due to my current OYD experience...

CLFNole
07-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Go and watch the classes. Both are southern styles and will have some similarities, however the pace and feel of the styles is what differs.

Decide what is best for you and go for it. You can't lose with either style. As a CLF person I would push CLF, however I have some hung gar friends and it is an equally good style.

Whatever suits you and where you feel most comfortable is #1.

Peace and good luck.

Fu-Pow
07-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by putz30
I've looked at both styles but I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I do have a friend who likes the Seattle Kung Fu Club, but I also got a recommendation for the WA Kung Fu Club as well.

How to know which to choose? I'm a little gunshy due to my current OYD experience...

My suggestion is that you stop by several schools. Check them out, meet the teachers and students. Try to get an overall "vibe" of the schools. See where you might think you'd fit in the best.

If someone tries to corral you into long term contract or something just tell them you only want to go month to month.

If they won't go for that then I suggest you find another place to train.

Places that insist on long term contracts usually count on you not finishing your training through the term contract. However, you are still on the hook for the bill.

putz30
07-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks, I'll look into both and hopefully I'll find one or the other will be a good fit. Both look promising from what I've read on their websites...

Golden Arms
07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Also depends on what you want out of it...I know of a couple good Bagua and Hsing-I teachers here, as well as some others including a good instructor in Russian Martial Art...you looking for fighting ability, forms, a mix of both, health....what?

putz30
07-20-2004, 04:22 PM
I'd like to find something that has a good combination of elements, but mostly a style that will work well with my size. I'm a 5'5" and relatively small woman, but I'm flexible and, well, I used to be fast. (Metal in your bones can slow one down for a while). I mostly want to train for health (both mind and body!), and I like doing long forms more than anything else. I also love weapons, particularly the tai chi and double tai chi swords.

The thing that drew me to OYD is that I could learn a myriad of styles in one school. I do Bagwa walking, Tai Chi, long form and short forms and weapons. Now, granted, it sounds more and more like what I'm learning may be a load of bunk, but I've worked pretty hard at doing the bunk as well as I am capable.

So, my dilemna? I want to do them ALL at the same time, heh heh. Would Bagwa and Hsing-I would be good to futher my rehab and really get my leg back? Where is the Hsing-I teacher working out of?

Fu-Pow
07-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by putz30
I'd like to find something that has a good combination of elements, but mostly a style that will work well with my size. I'm a 5'5" and relatively small woman, but I'm flexible and, well, I used to be fast. (Metal in your bones can slow one down for a while). I mostly want to train for health (both mind and body!), and I like doing long forms more than anything else. I also love weapons, particularly the tai chi and double tai chi swords.

I think you would really like the Taoist Studies Institute. They teach Chi Gung, Chen and Yang Tai Chi, Tai Chi Sword, Push Hands, Ba Gua and Xing Yi.

And unlike OYD its all authentic.

putz30
07-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys, I'll look into them all!

PaiLumDreamer
07-21-2004, 12:52 PM
What about any schools around sequim/port angeles? Im stuck up here for 3 weeks, and nobody to spar with. Boo.

rubthebuddha
07-22-2004, 04:42 PM
And unlike OYD its all authentic. and fu-pow, for all his faults, has yet to claim he can safely sidekick of a seven-story building, nor does he stalk you when you miss a class or two. ;)

he's right -- get out of oyd. enough people have had bad experiences with it, and the cultish nature of it is bad enough. add that with the financial obligations, etc., and you're pretty much screwed. try fu's suggestions out -- even if it turns out to not be exactly what you want, at least you won't hand over your freedom and $15,000 in the first month. :)

pld -- you gonna be in bellingham at all?

PaiLumDreamer
07-23-2004, 06:21 PM
bellingham is far away. :( I dont think im going to get any sparring at all while im up here. Lol.