PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please!

BeiKongHui
06-27-2001, 03:09 PM
Of course we'd all prefer a wooden one but what about this as a substitute for the economically challenged Wing Chun man/woman?

PVC Dummy (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1158561487)

"Gong Sao Mo Gong Ching Sao"
- When you talk with the hands,
best not to speak of polite hands.

studentsifu
06-27-2001, 03:24 PM
Go for it!
I had a PVC dummy for years and I actually love the feel of pvc as opposed to wood. Buy some good wooden arms, and make a leg for it, and your good to go.
I wrapped thin rope around my pvc dummy for toughening my knuckles, you could do something similar.
My Sifu has a wooden one and I practice on it now, but I still like to work on my old pvc dummy once and awhile.
-Tathagata

[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 06-28-01 at 06:36 AM.]

Sharky
06-27-2001, 03:41 PM
My old teacher used to tell the more advanced students that u gotta get a wooden one cos plastic don't absorb ur chi etc. I dunno, when i need to get one, i will probably try n save up for the wooden one. The pvc ones still aren't cheap man, you may as well save up. They won't split/crack tho. Are you lucky enough to have a shop near you to where you can try them both?

Edd

My anus is superiorâ„¢

Sharky
06-27-2001, 03:43 PM
lol, i just noticed

"[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 06-28-01 at 06:36 AM.]"

Quality. Maybe you could teach kung lek a trick or two?? :D

My anus is superiorâ„¢

BeiKongHui
06-27-2001, 03:53 PM
I use a Wooden dummy at my kwoon but I've never used a PVC dummy so I've wondered about the feel. I've also heard there is a guy around here who makes them out of metal so I might check that out too. I would really prefer a wooden dummy and plan to get one down the road but I'm looking for a less expensive option for the short term.

Tag-
How was your dummy mounted?

Starbuck
06-27-2001, 04:15 PM
We have both wooden and PVC dummies at my school and the PVC dummy works well. Dummies with PVC bodies are fine, but you really don't want the PVC arms and legs. The arms don't taper at the end like wooden ones and have that cap on the end of them. The leg isn't one solid piece but 3 connected together. I could see that getting loose after a few hundred stomps. Also the body should be at least 8 preferably 9 inches in diameter; 7 inches is too small.

If you plan on using it for a long time, you might as well wait until you can afford a higher quality dummy. I'm saving for one with a PVC body, but wooden arms and legs. A cheaper option is to buy the arms and legs separate make the body yourself out of 8-9 inch PVC pipe. All you would need is a jigsaw. I recommend Asheville Woodcrafters (www.wooddummy.com) for PVC dummies and/or wood arms and legs.

<HR>"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform." - Mark Twain

studentsifu
06-27-2001, 05:57 PM
Sharky,
Yes, Sihing73 seems a bit ****phobic. Even my rainbow triangle is threatening to him.
Oh, well. Someday he will have to realize that there are those of us who are different than him, and we are proud of who we are.

-Tathagata

Sorry to disappoint you Tathagata but I could care less about your sexual orientation. I do not find you threatening but I do wish to give everyone the same amount of respect. Your "flag" is nothing more than an attempt to force others to acknowledge your views. Just as I would not have someone post a swastiki I can see no benefit in your flag. If you can relate your "flag" to Wing Chun then I would be glad to include it.

Also, since I have better things to do then to clean up after you I will give you notice now that if you choose to continue in this manner I will restrict you from posting on this forum. If you want to discuss Wing Chun fine. If you want to promote your "preferences" please do it eleswhere. Perhaps your need to express yourself is a sympton of your own insecurity ;)

[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 06-28-01 at 09:17 AM.]

dzu
06-27-2001, 06:50 PM
A wood dummy will be much heavier than a PVC dummy. It's important that the dummy have some amount of mass so that good structure and rooting are required to move it. A PVC dummy may be too light. A possible work around this is to fill the PVC with sand, rocks, rice, beans, etc. to increase the mass so you can measure your ability to generate power.

If you mount the dummy on a wall, make sure that the slats running through the dummy attaching it to the wall frame are flexible enough for some movement when you hit it. Wood is probabaly better for this and it should be relatively in expensive.

If you choose to use a free standing dummy, the frame should be wide enough and stable enough so that you don't push it all over the place. Lumber for the frame shouldn't be too expensive if you have the space for it. I have a free standing dummy because I don't want to knock holes in my walls or drill into my garage floor. We weight it down in the back, and brace it on the sides so that it doesn't sway. Pulling motions cause it to tilt forward. One solution to this would be to attach a plywood base at the bottom so that you are standing on it as you do your dummy form. That way your own weight helps to keep it down.

If you can't get a dummy, a good alternative is to pull out the movements in the form and apply them on a partner in san sau. This works your timing and positioning even though you can't use full power.

regards,

Dzu

BeiKongHui
06-27-2001, 07:17 PM
Dzu-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you can't get a dummy, a good alternative is to pull out the movements in the form and apply them on a partner in san sau. This works your timing and positioning even though you can't use full power.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the wife has limited patience for such things! ;)

I've been looking at Great Lion (http://www.woodendummy.net/) and will probably eventually order from them. What do you think of the Red Cendar Corner Stand (http://www.woodendummy.net/stands.html)?

Thanks