PDA

View Full Version : Fa Jing

PaiLumDreamer
07-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I just really started on the internal side of kung fu. When I read other peoples posts, or in videos on the net/etc I keep hearing about "Fa Jing".

What is it?

I did a search and I saw something that referred to it as "release of qi". Is this correct?

First I want to find out what it is, then I have some more questions :P.

twocircles
07-20-2004, 01:42 AM
Hi P.

"Fa" means to send out, or issue. "Jin" is generally energy, or strength, but many people limit this definition to properly generated internal energy. "Fajin" is often associated with explosive releases of energy.

In my training, however, "fajin" is considered any time you release energy or send out strength that will affect your opponent. With this defintion, there are many types of fajin and many techniques that use fajin. Explosive releases are just one kind.

I guess, I should clarify what I mean by energy. When talking about martial arts, we are usually talking about mechanical energy.

Do we release "qi"? Probably, it is certainly involved. But "qi" is such a foreign concept and way of thinking that most people's understanding of "qi" is so vague or misdirected that it not helpful in learning Taijiquan or other internal martial arts.

FWIW.

good luck,

Richard Johnson

RAF
07-20-2004, 04:38 AM
http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/index.html

Articles-->scroll to bottom for article on fa jin(g).
Sorry, no direct link.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck.

scotty1
07-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by twocircles
Hi P.

"Fa" means to send out, or issue. "Jin" is generally energy, or strength, but many people limit this definition to properly generated internal energy. "Fajin" is often associated with explosive releases of energy.

In my training, however, "fajin" is considered any time you release energy or send out strength that will affect your opponent. With this defintion, there are many types of fajin and many techniques that use fajin. Explosive releases are just one kind.

Do we release "qi"? Probably, it is certainly involved. But "qi" is such a foreign concept and way of thinking that most people's understanding of "qi" is so vague or misdirected that it not helpful in learning Taijiquan or other internal martial arts.

That's pretty much how my instructor explained fajing to me.

And interesting thoughts about qi too.

Although I do wonder sometimes if I get a simplified explanation of some things eg. fajing because I lack the experience to put a more complex explanation into context.

SPJ
07-20-2004, 07:36 AM
There are 2 good topics: Jin and Qi.

Each takes books to explain.

Tai Ji moves are preparatory moves (storing your Jin, Shi Jin), you may release the Jin at any moment (Fa Jin).

When you do straight punch and kick, it is stretching your limbs. You have to retract them then reuse them. Sort of go, stop, come back and go.

Tai Ji moves are constantly Shi Jin and may release Jin any moment. When you do a spiraling move, you are drawing a circle. In the inner half, you have upward, inward and then outward Jin. In the outer half of the circle, you have outward, downward and inward Jin.

The direction of Jin in the circle is constantly changing. This way you may use a circle Jin to merge into the opponent's linear Jin.

When you Fa Jin, it is still directional to 4 corners (Si Zhen) and 4 crosscorners (Si Yu).

Which means upward, downward, leftward, or rightward, forward, backward. And the directions in between.

Store your Jin like extending a bow. Release it like an arrow.
(Shi Jin Lu Zhang Gong, Fa Jin Si Fan Jian).

:cool:

PaiLumDreamer
07-20-2004, 12:50 PM
So from what I read, I understand this:

Fa Jing (Fa Jin) is a way to generate power through movement, not especially "qi", though (but I bet that goes along with it, later on). Would an example of this be how a martial artist would unbalance you, just by a light touch, or if you were to touch their shoulder? (Not just standing still of course.) IE: You touch their shoulder, they move a certain way, and the power generated causes some effect to you.

Is that basically Fa Jing?

SPJ
07-20-2004, 07:15 PM
This is a difficult topic to explain.

Let me use the straight punch as an example.

Your eyes see the abdomen is open. You get close by moving your left front foot forward, you have your right fist at waist. Your left forearm deflects the opponent's right forearm. These are preparatory moves. Your are storing Jin. You then extend your arm and punch the abdomen. The punch is Fa Jin. Anything before that is preparing or Shi Jin.

When the opponent punches his right fist to your chest, you move to his right and you use your right forearm to contact and stick (Zhan Nien).

You are balanced in your new position and you are close to his center of gravity. If the opponent tries to retract his right arm, you push. If the opponent does not stop his punch and continue forward, you pull or push him away from you.

The opponent's arm is extending/expanding already or almost stretched straight. Your arm is arched or still contracted. You have room to manuever your arm or extend/expand.

Your maneuver to a new position is why you have advantage.

You are close to his center of gravity, you may push or pull any direction he is going.

You may see you do not need a lot of Jin and you borrow the opponent's Jin for the most part.

The idea of Tai Ji is to use a small force to defeat a bigger one.

:)

twocircles
07-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by SPJ
There are 2 good topics: Jin and Qi.

Each takes books to explain.

...and a few seconds to demonstrate.

Richard Johnson

SPJ
07-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Qi practice or Qi Gong is necessary.

The first level is breathing exercise.

When you practice Tai Ji, you have to be relaxed and flexible.

You practice your will (Yi) to move and not to tense your muscle at all.

You then practice Qi or breathing exercise.

Use your will to guide your Qi flow. Use your Qi to move your limbs.

How and why need books to explain.

Tai Ji moves are circular. The main Jin is from the back and the waist. If your Qi flow is not smooth in your Tai Ji move, you injure yourself more than anything else.

Your attacking Jin is always a sudden acceleration in the circle of the waist or suddenly moving forward or backward.

If your moves are wrong or not balance, and your Qi flow is obstructed, you try to Fa Jin, you may permanently injure yourself and not thing more.

So to Shi Jin is a balance move. To Fa Jin is a balance move, too.

:)

twocircles
07-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by PaiLumDreamer
So from what I read, I understand this:

Fa Jing (Fa Jin) is a way to generate power through movement, not especially "qi", though (but I bet that goes along with it, later on). Would an example of this be how a martial artist would unbalance you, just by a light touch, or if you were to touch their shoulder? (Not just standing still of course.) IE: You touch their shoulder, they move a certain way, and the power generated causes some effect to you.

Is that basically Fa Jing?

"Qi" is there, you just don't have to worry about it, and most people, when they start trying to control "qi," change the "qi" and usually mess it up.

In most martial arts, the artist generates his own power to overwhelm or strategically attack his opponent. Taiji can do that too.

What makes Taiji different from most martial arts is that the Taiji artist can use the opponent's force to return her attack to her. This is the basic Taiji skill. Until you can do this, you are not yet doing Taijiquan. Other skills are variations on this skill.

So, the essential Taiji skill is not developing tremendous stores of energy. It is developing the coordination and structure within you to know how to handle force regardless of its source.

Once again releasing the opponent's force back into them is a type of fajin. Releasing the excess force into space is called neutralization.

Richard (gender unbiased) Johnson

PaiLumDreamer
07-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the info. It helped a bunch.

TaiChiBob
07-21-2004, 05:34 AM
Greetings..

It is my understanding that there is only one Jin.. expressed many ways (ie: Fa, Shi, etc.. ), and Jin is an aspect of Qi.. that, ultimately, we draw from our Qi (life-force) for all matters physical.. However, the Internal Arts seem to combine structural alignment ( a seriously deep subject), detailed balances, efficient energies (muscular), breath-work, and a unique awareness of consciousness into an effect they refer to as Qi.. since, by definition, Qi is the foundation of all matters pertaining to living, i try to refer to the Taiji concept of Qi as the "Qi effect".. the harmony of body, mind and spirit (hence the name of the school "Three Harmony")..

Adherence to the Eastern concept of Qi or the western science model, is irrelevent in the training of Taiji.. because whichever you choose, the "effect" is the same.. a superior control of yourself and the situations you are connected to..

And.. just for giggles.. i am considering modifying the school name to..

Three Harmony Taiji Association
and, Sanctuary for Wayward Taoists

How does it sound? i mean, to the degree that we stray from the "way" of nature aren't we all "wayward Taoists"?

Anyway, be well..

SPJ
07-21-2004, 06:21 AM
TCB;

It is a very cool name.

However, for most Chinese, they would think you mean in harmony with the heaven, earth, and people. (Tien Di Ren)

And yes Jing Qi Shen are also San He.

:D

SPJ
07-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Every school of Wushu has its own practice of Jin methods (Fa).

For Eagle claw, you have to practice the pinching Jin of your hand and develop your upper arm strength to enhance your gripping hand.

For Tai Ji Quan.

The method of generating Jin may be different. They are still categoried by directions.

Basic Jin's:

Ti (upward, move your both arms to shoulder level)
Anh (downward, lower your both arms to the abdomen or waist level and bend your knee)

Ti is coupled with moving your Qi to Bai Huei acupuncture point on top of your skull.

Anh is coupled with sinking your Qi to Dan Tien a couple of inches below your navel.

8 Jin's: Peng Lui Jih Anh Tsai Lei Zhou Kao.

Tang Do Jin: sudden jerking.

When you practice Fa Jin with Tai Ji form, it is called Jin Jia (frame/form).