PDA

View Full Version : Chan CLF: Buddha Fist form

Judge Pen
07-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Is this a form that you Chan practitioners have? I'm looking for some background on this form.

Fu-Pow
07-20-2004, 01:08 PM
I assume you are referencing Dino Salvatera's form called the Buddha Fist.

His lineage of CLF (from Futsan) is quite different than the Chan Family version.

Having looked at that video trailer it looks a lot more like Hung Ga to me, especially in application. I'm not trying to say it IS Hung Ga just saying that it appears to have more of a Hung influence.

Anyways, the Chan Family CLF is quite a bit different. It is a bit more dynamic and for lack of a better term "springy."

The arm techs are much longer and it looks an awful lot more like Northern fist styles.

The Chan Family branch has a set called Fut Jeung or Buddha Palm set.

The thing that you run into with CLF is that it was designed to be taught enmass. It was taught over a large area in Southern China.

The result is that the style is fragmented. Names of forms have changed, forms have been added and modified and depending on where and by whom the art was practiced influences from other martial styles have been brought in.

However, apparently the Chan Family has done a very good job of keeping records through the years. They have manuscripts that detail the names and movements of all the forms in their portion of the system. One must keep in mind though that many of those forms were added and modified thru the years just as what happened in the other branches. It's just that they kept more consistent records of it.

CLF like most styles of kung fu is constantly evolving.

Judge Pen
07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
No, I asked Master Dino about it. The research I've done is that it's a Chan form. I understand that Chan and Hung Sing CLF are somewhat different and that they even have different sets

Fu Pow, do you know this set? If so, what are the guiding principles of this form? What's it's origin?

Fu-Pow
07-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
No, I asked Master Dino about it. The research I've done is that it's a Chan form. I understand that Chan and Hung Sing CLF are somewhat different and that they even have different sets

You asked about the Buddha "Fist" set.

As far as I know there is not a Buddha "Fist" set in Chan Family CLF.

If you want I can send you a list of Chan Family forms.

There is, however, a set called Buddha "Palm" or Fut Jeung.

I didn't learn this set and my teacher doesn't teach it. However, I have a tape of my Sisuk Joe Keit doing the form.

I'm sure it probably looks very different from whatever you learned from Sifu Dino.

Sow Choy
07-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Fu pow,

How you doin? I will be in Seattle, I hope we can hook up while I am there.

Joe

Fu-Pow
07-20-2004, 04:49 PM
That would cool. Are you coming up for our tournament?

Sow Choy
07-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Unfortunately not...

I received info on your tournament too late, I already booked my tickets for Sifu Leongs tournament. Sifu Mak must have planned this one quickly. If I would have known earlier I might have been able to go. Wish he would have planned it at a different time.

If you can email or pm your cell number i will call you when I get there. i saw some of your KF brothers in Vancouver, and we all want to get together and hang out, so hope you will have time.

Joe

Troy Dunwood
07-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Hello, just to clarify this, as some may have seen the listing of sets on our joybotsin website along with my sifu Dino Salvatera video trailer, concerning the form Buddha Fist. This set is passed down from Sifu Choy Siu Ming from Sifu Chan Leung it is not a Futsan Hung Sing Set. Although I doubt if it's an original set, but then again whats original, I doubt very seriously if we have the style as Chan Heung or Hung Sing created them. Chan Leung by the way was a famous Shaw Brothers fight choreographer who worked along with the likes of Lau Gar Leung and others. If you see listed on our site in reference to choy lee fut we have to grand teachers, Dino Salvatera and Choy Siu Ming with the latter being of the Chan Family line and not Futsan.

Troy Dunwood

Judge Pen
07-21-2004, 07:13 AM
I apologize; it seems that I've caused some confusion. I didn't learn this set from Master Dino. I havent' learned anything from Master Dino, but I was fortunate enough to meet him and some of his students and participate in a Lion Dance and demonstration in Atlanta with them. I was asking about a Buddha Fist (or more correclty a Buddha Palm") set in Chan CLF that I heard about and was wanting to learn more about it's origins.

Troy, thank you for your response. That gives me more of an idea about this set.

Fu-Pow
07-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Sow Choy
Unfortunately not...

I received info on your tournament too late, I already booked my tickets for Sifu Leongs tournament. Sifu Mak must have planned this one quickly. If I would have known earlier I might have been able to go. Wish he would have planned it at a different time.

If you can email or pm your cell number i will call you when I get there. i saw some of your KF brothers in Vancouver, and we all want to get together and hang out, so hope you will have time.

Joe

Aww...too bad. Well regardless we'll hook up. I may be competing at Leong's tournament also.

Take care and I'll PM you.

Peace.

yutyeesam
07-21-2004, 09:14 AM
Does Chan Family have a Lo Hon Kune set? Could this be seen as a Buddhist Fist set?

Fu-Pow
07-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
I apologize; it seems that I've caused some confusion. I didn't learn this set from Master Dino. I havent' learned anything from Master Dino, but I was fortunate enough to meet him and some of his students and participate in a Lion Dance and demonstration in Atlanta with them. I was asking about a Buddha Fist (or more correclty a Buddha Palm") set in Chan CLF that I heard about and was wanting to learn more about it's origins.

Troy, thank you for your response. That gives me more of an idea about this set.

Well I can tell you this.

CLF supposedly has some origins in the Shaolin Temple.

The Buddhist monks at Shaolin were supposed to be non-violent but in all practicality it was necessary that they be able to defend themselves. So their two main weapons were the staff (which doubled as a walking stick) and the palm techniques (which looked more innocuous than a fist.)

However, as with most facets of CLF (and other martial styles) the technique probably proceeded the name of the set. That is, the "Buddhist" palming techniques made their way into CLF because they are extremely effective for hitting "hard" targets like the skull and jaw. A fist to the skull will hurt you like it hurts your opponent.

At some point someone compiled all the palming techs into one set and knowing the story about Shaolin concluded a good name for the set would be Buddha Palm.

That's my educated guess. Maybe someone else here has a better idea of it's actual origin.

Eddie
07-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Fu Pow,
I have seen some lists name Fut Jeurng Kuen (Buddha palm fist) and Fut Gar Jeurng (Buddha Palm). Probably the same form, but I was thinking as some time back you did some research on the CLF forms and the different lineages, do you know which lineages call it by which name? Or are they two different forms in some lineages?

Judge pen,
as Fu Pow said, I suggest you buy Master Li Siu Hung and Sifu joe Keit’s video on the Buddha Palm form. If I remember correctly, the video do have some explanation on the style and theory, but basically the techniques speaks for it self. Pretty much a must have for your kung fu video collection.

Sow Choy,
While on the topic of palm styles, I have been meening to ask you this for some time (maybe I have already asked you, but I cant remember). I originally learned that ping kuen was translated as peaceful fist. That’s how we always used to know it. I remember you told me that it was called Level Fist, and most references use that translation. Which one is the correct translation for the correct name, or doesn’t it really matter? Both names could describe the form, so I was just wondering.

Ed

SifuX-HSK
07-21-2004, 12:58 PM
hey,

i'm not sure if we met in san francisco at the last gee tuk association, but it is me frank, and if you don't know i am your sifu's senior classmate and i warn you not to get too caught up on this line. peace!

to fu pow-

our choy lee fut was changed by lau bun to fit the american lifestyle. certain approaches and techniques would not be effective against these larger americans during his time so he changed the usage and applications according to need. that is why we call ourselves american hung sing choy lee fut.

my sifu is a true master in all ways and has an extreme amount of knownledge to share with those who wish to learn. remember the chan family created and developed their clf according to their needs and so did the hung sing branch. not one of the branches look like each other. i am sure that the hung sing branches buddha palm forms would not look much different than yours or any other forms.

the chan family continued to create form after form and only taught it to their own family. jeong yim and tam sam created forms unique to our own family.

regardless, forms (all forms) were not created by the gods and were there since the beginning. chan heung and jeong yim were just MEN, nothing else. they were two human beings who created a fighting style and set the wheels in motion for the next generations to further the style and even modify to work for current times. so who cares what branch has this or that form, if one branch does not have it-create it. if choy lee fut is all you have practiced your whole life then all you do from the way you think, move and react, inside of you is choy lee fut. not fogetting, if the new form is effective or not? it is authentic because you created it.

master salvatera possesses a pure clf mentality, and teaches you to use choy lee fut for self defense. forms is not his main objective. tournaments is not his focus. he wants top quality students who will excell in choy lee fut and become masters themselves.

keep an eye out for more of our dvd's, i am also working on some my self and if you want to know more email me at hungloonghsk@hotmail.com

master salvatera deserves the recognition he is soon about to receive. and the world will get a better look into the oldest existing gung fu school in the united states. a school that has purely practiced and taught lau bun's hung sing choy lee fut throughout 8 decades.

keep a debate with me off of this forum, email me to discuss anything further.

a big whats up to sifu chad meyers and all of his students in georgia, and to my students in Kansas, and texas.

sifu frank mccarthy

Fu-Pow
07-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Frank-

I'm not sure what your point was. It doesn't sound like we are disagreeing but it sounds like you are trying to find something to disagree about.

From what I've seen of "pure" Chan Family CLF vs. "pure" Jeong Hung Sing CLF there are some pretty striking qualitative differences.

Not saying one is better than the other.

Overall I'd say the Jeong Hung Sing stuff looks more "down to earth" and practical while the Chan Family stuff is more athletic and dynamic.

Lee Koon Hung's CLF (my Sigung) was a mix of many different elements including CLF teachers from both Chan and Hung Sing branches. In addition he spent some time with Shek Kin and you see some of that Northern fist influence.

My Sifu (Mak Hin Fai) CLF is different in some ways from Lee Koon Hungs. That's because he spent a good portion of time in Southern Mantis and Hung Gar. And even some Judo.

My CLF is slightly different than my Sifu's because I started in Hung Gar and I've studied Chen Taiji almost as long as I've studied Choy Lay Fut.

Anyways, you get my point. Forms change and evolve over time. Nothing wrong with that. In fact its all a natural part of the process.

Look at the very roots of CLF....3....3.....3 styles in one!:D

Judge Pen
07-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by SifuX-HSK
hey,

i'm not sure if we met in san francisco at the last gee tuk association, but it is me frank, and if you don't know i am your sifu's senior classmate and i warn you not to get too caught up on this line. peace!

Frank,

We've never met. I'm not a Hung Sing CLF student, just an admirer of good gung fu. I worked out with a kung fu brother who is studying Hung Sing with Sifu Myers and had the opportunity to see Master Dino in action. As Fu Pow will tell you I'm a shaolin-do student, and I get out and experience as much from other styles and systems as I can. You can never stop learning from others.

Edit: And I'm not trying to get into any debate on CLF lineage with fu pow (we've had our rounds on other issues, but all in good fun); I was sincerely curious as to the origins of this form. Was it created in the Chan lineage or does it have older origins. If you just do a google search you will see several schools with a Buddha Palm or Buddha Fist set which makes me wonder if it is an old set that many styles lay claim to.

Ben

Sow Choy
07-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Frank,

I saw the trailer of your sifu, Very nice, my compiments to him and your school. Unfortunately we can not all be together more, would be nice to see you guys. Good Luck on the videos and when I go to San Fran Next (not sure when) i definitely would like to meet you & your sifu.

Fu Pow,

Got your pm, I definitely will call you before I go out there!

Eddie,

As far as I Know Ping in Ping Kuen is "peace", which follows the whole list of first names put together to form the saying "Tai, Ping, Tien, Gwok"
"Awn, Cheung, Mahn, Neen"

Loosely translated as "Bring peace to all the countries, prosperous long life of ten thousand years".

I am not into all the history stuff, so I may off a bit, but at times I have heard Ping Kuen also refered to Level Fist too.

About Buddha Palm,

Our Buddha Palms main point is the "oi leem & loi leem sao" inside and outside circle hands. Kinda like a sticky technique. But most Choy Lay Fut forms favor palm in my branch. At shaolin temple, I spent alot of time with one sifu, who knew alot of traditional KF, he recogonise CLF right away as Shaolin.

Ga = Family or style, so I would think like in English, Fut Jeung and Fut Ga jeung may be the same thing.

And hey everyone... Its better we are different, more interesting and more fun, more to learn from each other. No need to worry about others, just do what makes you happy.

Peace, & hope to see some of you in Texas or Seattle

Frank you goin to Seattle?

Joe

SifuX-HSK
07-21-2004, 02:49 PM
is this joe?

hey but thanks, you should see him on the old footage i have of him, he moves as shmoove ass butta!

so how is your sifu?

oh, will you guys be going to fut san this year?
oh yeah i'm trying to go to seattle, we got the package sent to us.

frank

Sow Choy
07-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Frank,

It's me Joe Keit, my email is: leekoonhungkungfu@hotmail.com

I think we are planning a china trip next year. I will be at Sifu Jimmy Wong's Taj Legacy in Texas and at Sifu Leongs tournament on Labor Day in seattle. Let me know if you are going, let's get together and check out Seattle...:cool:

From the other post...

My sifu is doin good, always busy... He trains like a mad man, every Sunday 6 miles in the sand at the beach. he loves to do everything 300 times, Mr. Endurance, he is 48 now.

I am happy for you about your videos and dvd's, I would love too see whatever you do. I just got an apple powerbook and am learning video editing and website stuff on my own. Before we always had help... But they are gone...

See you soon...

Joe

Ben Gash
07-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Toisan Lee Hin CLF has a Fut Gar Kuen as well as Fut Jeung.

Ben Gash
07-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Does anyone know anything about the ten line killing hands and the internal five animals form? (obviously a response from Troy Dunwood would be great here).

Troy Dunwood
07-22-2004, 01:12 AM
Hello, first of all, killing hands ten section is a grouping of ten indiviual techniques that are trained merely for practical fighting, each line works a different scenario for instance one line is devoted to straightline continuous attacking, another line is devoted to attacking and redirect attacking etc. these series of skill are passed down from my sifu Choy Siu Ming. When talking to Sifu Chu Sil Kay also know as Leo Chu, he also explained to me that these series of skills are usually reserved for the more advance students because of the nature of their techniques and hopefully when one learns skills like this they have developed the proper character because this line of choy lee fut skill is the no nonsense get a monkey off your back sort of speaking.

Five animal internal is one of the treasured skills passed down from Great Grand Master Lau and taught by my Sifu dino Salvatera. This set teaches temperance, relaxation etc, with a host of great techniques, originally this set was passed down from Lau Bun's Si-Mo who was a very famous heroine of early generations. If you ever have the chance to See my Sifu perform this set i'm sure you'll be in awe, when Lily Lau saw him perform she had to give it up to him, all she could say was it's so powerful.

troy dunwood