PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion...

David Jamieson
07-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Roughly speaking according to the above poll.

What do you consider the Universe to be?

roughly speaking.

red5angel
07-21-2004, 09:55 AM
I just consider it to be.

Vash
07-21-2004, 09:59 AM
It is.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-21-2004, 10:10 AM
this thread is above me.

or maybe beneath me ... i haven't decided yet.

Starchaser107
07-21-2004, 12:08 PM
i cannot formulate a judgement on something i cannot understand. (the universe not the post)

Kristoffer
07-21-2004, 12:21 PM
The universe is mass, energy and time. I, am a formation of substance on a rock. So are you

Chang Style Novice
07-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Universe is an eight letter noun.

Starchaser107
07-21-2004, 12:54 PM
are letters subjects or objects?

rubthebuddha
07-21-2004, 02:37 PM
universe's etymology is uni (one) verse (full turn). literally, it's everything. figuratively, everything is in a big, hypothetical ball (shape is regardless). the universe isn't the ball, it is merely all that is contained within the ball.

then again, if i'm wrong and the universe is the ball itself, then my guess is that it's the left one, cause lefty always seems to be the one that gets hit.

Starchaser107
07-21-2004, 02:45 PM
could be one of those uniball types

David Jamieson
07-21-2004, 02:49 PM
i thought it was more of a bubble / string / sheets of mylar thing going on?

anyway, the ball idea went the way of galileo.

all the universe can be found on the @ss hair of a mosquito...apparently

Kristoffer
07-21-2004, 02:56 PM
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/universes/html/univ.html

David Jamieson
07-21-2004, 04:47 PM
you know, the one thing that ticks me off about Hawking is that he's always going on about an ever expanding universe, but when you ask him a simple question like:

"what is the universe expanding into?"

he clams up and pretends to be sleeping.

stupid intellectuals:mad:

The Willow Sword
07-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Roughly speaking according to the above poll.
What do you consider the Universe to be?roughly speaking.

People arent wearing enough hats;)

Peace,,TWS

David Jamieson
07-21-2004, 08:56 PM
no, they're not are they.

I think it's because people use all the tinfoil for other stuff. Like Bar-b-Q and freezing bananas for later.

The world needs more hats and the universe is getting fat!

When will it all end?

Chang Style Novice
07-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Hawking's really on a tear lately. Some sh!t about effects preceding causes at the edges of black holes or something like that. It's been in the news this week, but whenever I try to understand what the hell his latest jibberjabber is about my head starts throbbing.

No, not that head. And in a bad way.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-21-2004, 09:02 PM
stephen hawking makes csn's head throb.

Chang Style Novice
07-21-2004, 09:07 PM
It's not just his rugged good looks. It's also his dreamy voice!

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-21-2004, 09:07 PM
haha ... i just got owned.

David Jamieson
07-21-2004, 09:24 PM
OOOh, the black holes, always with the black holes and the quantum singularities and event horizons and possibilities of time travel...

Hawking is a blabbermouth and the insect overlords will reclaim his brain again one day....one day....soon

Becca
07-22-2004, 03:12 AM
You're just jealous 'cause you don't get to use one of those cool talking boxes to blabber for you.:mad:

:p

TaiChiBob
07-22-2004, 04:37 AM
Greetings..

The universe is a name we have assigned to all that we can observe, all that we can theorize and all that is or is not.. the name or word simply says, "there's a bunch of stuff out there, most of which is an educated guess"..

Laughably, we forget that we have only our Limited senses with which to observe this Universe.. there may exist multitudes more that are simply outside our ability to observe.. our eyes only see a limited band-width of the spectrum, our tools of observation are based on our senses.. suppose there are limitless other objects that move at speeds exceeding light-speed.. we wouldnt see them, they wouldn't see us, or they would see us as stationary..

In short, i sense that the universe is a single living entity, of which we are all inter-related parts.. we, as humans, are like the sensory input systems of our own bodies.. we experience and observe the universe and provide feedback to it, help it know what it is..

It is great mental masturbation to dwell on these issues ( i mean, the thinking can sometimes almost get you off..).. but, it is great living to simply have full life experiences in real-time.. to live each moment with gusto and spontaneous sincerity.. to "be all that you can be"..

Be well...

David Jamieson
07-22-2004, 05:07 AM
In short, i sense that the universe is a single living entity, of which we are all inter-related parts..

so, a communion of subjects then.

FatherDog
07-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
stephen hawking makes csn's head throb.

Hey, his current wife left her (able-bodied) husband to be with him. The dude evidently has something goin' for him.

Banjos_dad
07-22-2004, 10:14 AM
universe = someone's crazy dream

MasterKiller
07-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by FatherDog
Hey, his current wife left her (able-bodied) husband to be with him. The dude evidently has something goin' for him. Florence Nightingale syndrome is a beyotch.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Banjos_dad
universe = someone's crazy dream

there was a kid i knew in highschool who believed it was his crazy dream. he didn't get stoned one night and say wouldnt it be cool if all of this was really in my head, he really believed it. he believed that he was a higher being existing in a different plane somewhere and all of this was his creation. he believed that anything outside of his direct observation did not really exist. thus this forum has never been.

i hated that kid.

Banjos_dad
07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Oh man--it's a stoner's dream. That explains all the unexplainable sheeyot.

I don't really believe it's someone's dream, it just seems like it.

Okay. My straight answer is that I think the universe is a limitless expanse of nothingness with isolated denser spots.

If it stops, what contains it?
If it's like a ball, what is on the outside of the ball (more space)?

I can't remember the names of these philosphers...but anyway, one used to claim that the universe was just a mental construct. His adversary pointed out a large boulder on the ground & said:
"Is that boulder also a product of your mind? Because if that is so, I don't know how you can lift your head up."

I guess if I told a monk that the universe was a mental construct, he'd hit me with a stick & make me do stance training.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-22-2004, 11:45 AM
I guess if I told a monk that the universe was a mental construct, he'd hit me with a stick & make me do stance training.

perception of reality is not reality itself, but it sure as hell feels real perceptively.

Banjos_dad
07-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Perception & reality are close enough so that, it hurts to receive a stick blow, even if your not 100% certain of the true nature of the stick, & the true nature of your head/ribs/ass or wherever...
:D

rubthebuddha
07-22-2004, 02:41 PM
and perception will be further anchored back to reality every time you squat to pick something up due to your dead thighs, or you accidentally hit that big, purple bruise on your arm. :D

No_Know
07-22-2004, 05:26 PM
The universe could be a communion of subjects in a collection of objects.

My generalization was that it is God trying to figure God's self out.

With one called TaiChBob's mention I'm thinking not just Human's. On my own I thought tath we might be God figuring out God's Self...as with each generation the childer seem to learn as much Knowledge as the parents and add at least to the level if not the quantity. with enough generations of Human's there will be one being--God with all issues resolved and ~at peace.-ish.

Somehow after reading one called TaiChiBob's mention Human's might be only one in this super computer~God theory of mine related to the universe(/multiverse). And that other forms of life might be working out God think unresolved--a reference to Life off of Earth, but that should not exclude life in, on , within, above Earth.

very good

Aside: God is not male nor your oppostion to male of female. If you claim/state that there is one God, and that God is male you claim/state that God has a male reproductive organ.

male is designed for female. If God exists and is male there was another of God's like that was Female wich suggests God being not the only one unless God can die which is what happened to the female of the being.

God is the fourth pronoun in the English language. Thank you.

I No_Know

David Jamieson
07-22-2004, 10:25 PM
What if Space is infinite and in that space there is dark matter.

Somehow, movement occured, dark matter struck dark matter, explosions took place from the friction and heat.

A chain reaction took place and everywhere where there was dark matter in the infinite space, explosions and births of gallaxies occured from the new changed matter seperated from dark mass from the explosions.

If dark matter is combinations of all possible elements, then some of these elements will react when they come in contact with each other.

In this scenario, Space is assumed to be infinite. Dark matter is assumed to also be infinite.

It also notes that it is not necessarily all happening at a single point in space and time and in fact, there are examples of so called "star nurseries" as observable by orbital telescope tech and from the ground.

So the big bang theory turns more into a whole lotta bangs all over the place and still happening, but as to when the absolute first explosion of dark matter that caused the original chain reaction between the two which in turn resulted in space, dark matter, movement and the result of that movement, which is the ten thousand things. ( taoist cosmic concept comparison

the space needed the matter, the matter need the space.

I think it is both communion and collection. Communion when living, collection when not.

It's past my bedtime

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-23-2004, 10:23 AM
what is dark matter?

No_Know
07-23-2004, 11:34 AM
a bit about dark matter (http://astron.berkeley.edu/~mwhite/darkmatter/essay.html) What a galaxy halo is+ (http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/milkyway/components.html)

"What if Space is infinite and in that space there is dark matter."

I'd like to make something-up and pretend, what-if... is what the above might be.

In the Kung Lek presentation for the universe to be infinite with or without dark matter we need no big bang because the speculation begins with a universe.

For the dark matter to spread because of results of collision, there would be something for the dark matter in which to spread. This seems to infer three parts: matter, dark matter and Space. It was a comprehension that dark matter was a suggestion that there is dark matter Instead of space.

Thank you.
I No_Know

cerebus
07-23-2004, 06:53 PM
All is one. All is Tao.;)