PDA

View Full Version : Comics

Kristoffer
07-21-2004, 12:41 PM
I know some people here are readers so I thought I'd drop a comics thread.
After seeing Spider-Man 2 three times I have found my old love for the books. I've read through alot and was thinkin about picking up something new. Problem is I have no idea what's going on these days and I've basically havn't read anything since the horrible clone saga. I picked up a Wizard but I'm still kinda clueless. I know Marvel have a MAX series and that they seem to do all books in the Ultimate format..
And there's been a new Secret Wars?

Basically, what's up? And is their anything you wanna recomend? (could b anything)

Brad
07-21-2004, 01:32 PM
There's so many kick ass comics being made now, I'm not entirely sure where to begin :D

As for Spiderman and other mainstream stuff, I'd check out Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate X-men and The Ultimates(kind of like the avengers). The Ultimate line basically starts everything over from the begining and makes the story lines less convulted.

Non-mainstream stuff I'd recomend:
Mark Millar's The Unfunnies. It's a cartoon world where everything gets all twisted and f'ed up for some reason. It's kind of funny and disturbing at the same time.
The new Connan series is really good too.
My personal favorites are Fables and Y:The Last Man
Fables is about all these fairy tale critters that are driven away from their homelands and have are putting together a life in the real world.
Y: The Last Man is about the last man left on earth(all men were wiped out by some mysterious virous or something.

You should also check out these kungfu comics: http://www.comicsone.com/kungfu.html

Vash
07-21-2004, 01:39 PM
In all honesty, I've kind of fallen out of buying comics for the most part. I mean, I still pick up Batman, but that's the only mainstream thing I can get local.

Right now, with my being in school, I'm trying to focus on finishing off some of my old series, like Preacher, the Batman: Knightfall storyline (and associated books), and just stuff I'd not generally see.

Here's an old one that really stood out at my: Teknophage. It's a 65 million year old telepathic dinosaur that controls an entire world. The first storyline was entertaining, the art was fitting. The second, though, wasn't as out there as the first. You should check it out.

Oh yeah, related to Teknophage, Mr. Hero, the Newmatic *that's not a typo) Man.

Kristoffer
07-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Guess I'll take a look on some ultimate lines.. they sund pretty good.
I'm a big fan of Frank Millar, that sounds cool. Brad you ever read anything from the Cliffhanger like Battle Chasers? You know if Madureira is doin anything now?

V - I know u like Conan, u like the new or the old ones best? :)

I guess there's a ton of questions in my head now but I wont nag them on ya. I'll start out slow and pick up something evantually. thx for the responses though

Vash
07-21-2004, 02:37 PM
I haven't seen the new Conan books yet. From what I've heard, though, there pretty good.

Oh, there's a new Swamp THing that came out a few months ago, featuring John Constantine. Looking forward to getting that.

Starchaser107
07-21-2004, 03:57 PM
http://www.topcow.com/site/

Vash
07-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Anyone remember Dale Keown's Pitt?

Starchaser107
07-21-2004, 04:35 PM
mnhmnn

@PLUGO
07-21-2004, 04:45 PM
I loved Dale Keown's Hulk artwork way back when... but could never get into PITT... I preferred MAXX.

As for Spiderman... AMAZING SPIDERMAN just started a new storyline that's promising. it's written by the guy who wrote/produced the tv series BABYLON 5. it's pretty mainstream Marvel but not bad.

The Ultimate Spiderman is not bad either and is easily available in hardcover book format of various sizes. It's taken from the context that peter Parker is a high school kid today rather than in the 60's.

There's a MARVEL KNIGHTS version of Spiderman that also quite good. It's only up to issue 4 so getting the previous issues isn't to tough. IT's some what rated R in a sence... here's a web version of the latest issue. (http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook/marvel/mkspidey4/)

WANTED is a decent Superhero turnaround. All the Villians got together and distroyed the superheroes (who where outnumbered 10 to 1) and now the world is as such & is also written by Mark Millar (as is the MK Spiderman as well as ULTIMATES which makes a nice collected series)

he's also writting CHOSEN a what if the second comming happened in suberbia sometime in the 80's

Also by Darkhorse is the very excellent HELLBOY!!! and spin-off B.P.R.D.

The "new" Swamp thing is pretty lame IMO... lots of retreading of the same stuff. John Constantine's own HELLBLAZER remains a darkly enjoyable read.

Other GREAT (non-superhero)reads include HUMAN TARGET, 100 BULLETS & yes...Y the Last Man.

the current BATMAN series is allright. they've gotten smart and are doing specific creator driven runs...

ALSO check out SEAGUY for very smart and silly superheroics

MasterKiller
07-22-2004, 06:15 AM
As a side note, any of you guys know how I could sale my Savage Sword of Conan collection? I have like 80 issues from the late 80s. They aren't mint because I read the hell out of them, but they're in good shape. They've been bagged for about 15 years and kept in a dry box in my closet.

Ebay (shipping would suck)? Local comic shop? Garage sale?

What's the best way?

Chang Style Novice
07-22-2004, 07:20 AM
pretty decent Alan Moore interview on the cover of Salon Magazine today.

http://www.salon.com

You have to watch a lame Best Buy ad to read the whole thing, though.

MK - you'll get tremendously ripped off if you sell them as a lot at a comic store. I'd suggest ebay, although as you note shipping would be lame-as-fu(k, or maybe taking them to a convention (although having to be at a geek convention would be lame as fu(k - or a lot like Taiji Legacy, maybe.)

Kristoffer
07-22-2004, 12:38 PM
I agree try selling through someone you know or something. I remember all the shops ripping me off everytime I tryed to trade or sell to them.

**** comics are expensive I gotta decide what to buy first b4 I make any stupid buys. I looked around today and there's tons of great stuff out there.

Udon comics publishes Street Fighter, in manga-esque style. I hafta have those. Flipped through one of the Ultimate Spider-Man volumes, that's also right up my ally. Savage Dragon, Hellboy, Greyshirt...

wow

Vash
07-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
As a side note, any of you guys know how I could sale my Savage Sword of Conan collection? I have like 80 issues from the late 80s. They aren't mint because I read the hell out of them, but they're in good shape. They've been bagged for about 15 years and kept in a dry box in my closet.

Ebay (shipping would suck)? Local comic shop? Garage sale?

What's the best way?

You might hook a brother up ;)

Seriously, if you could get the issue numbers, and an average condition description, I'll look around see what a fair price would be. I'm always in the market for the good stuff.

Starchaser107
07-22-2004, 01:49 PM
once upon a time collecting comics were inexpensive entertainment

might as well do drugs nowadays if you're gonna be collecting a few titles a month

Nick Forrer
07-22-2004, 02:53 PM
everyone should check out

1) Palestine and safe area gorzade by Joe Sacco

2) Maus By Art Spiegelmen

and

3) everything by Alan Moore but particularly
From Hell, V for Vendetta and Watchmen

Vash
07-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Nick Forrer
Maus By Art Spiegelmen

Chang Style Novice
07-22-2004, 08:54 PM
All great stuff, but just the tip of the iceberg.

Ghost World by Dan Clowes

Jimmy Corrigan, Smartest Kid on Earth and Quimby the Mouse by Chris Ware

Blankets by Craig Thompson

The Cowboy Wally Show, You Are Here and Why I Hate Saturn by Kyle Baker

Frank by Jim Woodring

Berlin by Jason Lutes

Palomar by Gilbert Hernandez

plenty more where those came from, too...

Shaolinlueb
07-23-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Vash
Anyone remember Dale Keown's Pitt?

the original pitt was aweomse. i was actually reading those the other day. im a modern old school collector. i collected a lot in the early-mid 90's. i have issues of 232+ of xmen. which is about 200 or so, all the gen x and x force series. i heard x force is ocming back with liefield drawing!!!!! :dreamy: i love comics, but too much story line these days and not enough action.

Shaolinlueb
07-23-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
once upon a time collecting comics were inexpensive entertainment

might as well do drugs nowadays if you're gonna be collecting a few titles a month

yeah i know. i remember when xforce was a dollerr and a doller twnety five. now your luckt to get a comic for 2 bucks :wtf: cause everyone uses special paper and special ink nowadays :rolleyes:
newspaper paper owns all.

Starchaser107
07-23-2004, 07:29 AM
rob liefeld isn't one of my favourite artist's , but i know he has his fans.
his style doesn't appeal to me , just something about it i find
irritating.

plus i'm angry at him for pulling ***** moves over at image back in the day.

Chang Style Novice
07-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Rob Liefeld is one of the worst comics artists ever. He doesn't distort anatomy. He draws like he's never even heard of the concept of anatomy. And his layouts are even worse.

The guy should be sealed in a barrel of kimchee and shot into the sun.

@PLUGO
07-23-2004, 09:25 AM
I prefer the Milligan Allred version of X-force.. now known as X-Statix... HILARIOUS read!!! I've meet Liefield (who claims to know a bit of kungfu by-the-way) unimpressed.

Grant Morrison's New X-Men was rocking and is available in an assortment of trade paperback or hardcovers.

Also you should check out his book THE FILTH.

Just picked up AGE OF BRONZE with is a very thorough adaptation of the trojan war.

Other interesting reads include PLANETARY, and of course anything by JOE SACCO.

Kristoffer
07-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Isn't Alan Moore the creator of those 'Americas greatest comics' or something like that? Those look great.. I'll do a search on him later

I'll have to agree with some of u about Liefeld. I was never a fan either. I remember wondering why everyone was so psyched about him doing X-men way back before.

I've desided to not pick up any monthly's, I'll just stick to getting the trade paperbacks/ hardcover / collected volumes..
I tend to enjoy reading a whole storyline rather than short short comics.

Vash
07-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Alan Moore created and maintains the ABC line, yes ;)

Starchaser107
07-23-2004, 11:57 AM
what blew my mind was jim lee doing batman.

Starchaser107
07-23-2004, 12:00 PM
i suppose that move was done to draw the attention of people like me who are prejudiced against the d.c. line

oddly enough my first comic ever was batman, i remember the day i bought it , just cause. i was maybe 5 or 6... ok my mom bought it ...but i asked her to...
it changed my life

one of those pivotal moments....

thank you batman, i guess i'll always have a soft spot for you.

then i realized what marvel was.

Vash
07-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Jim Lee's art on Batman was some of his greatest stuff to date. And it really did the entire lot of characters, heroes and villains, justice.

But the fukking end was just so fugging anticlimactic.

I have to admit though, the sparring session with Batman and Robin II/Clayface is one of my favorite scenes in comics.

Just finished up reading the New X-Men. Went really well, I though. Don't think I'll be picking up the title anymore, though. It feels like a decent place to stop worrying about it.

I wanna finish my Preacher collection (if a Christian tells you this kinda thing is good, believe it), the rest of the Teknophage's tie-in books, and I'm just gonna stick to the TPBs after that.

Kristoffer
07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
hmm first comic...
I learned how to read by reading Bamse (http://images.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hoganas.net/museum/bamse1.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.hoganas.net/museum/bamse.htm&h=419&w=300&sz=40&tbnid=DhXZJoA3DjYJ:&tbnh=121&tbnw=87&start=11&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBamse%26hl%3Dsv%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG) and Gnutten (http://images.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sib.hb.se/boring/pics/gnuttani.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.sib.hb.se/boring/meny.htm&h=87&w=130&sz=8&tbnid=ax8sm0nYUn4J:&tbnh=56&tbnw=83&start=9&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgnutten%26hl%3Dsv%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN)

I was brought up on Donald Duck, but the first hero book I read was probably a Batman too. First Marvel was The Hulk, then Spiderman.

Vash
07-23-2004, 12:18 PM
My first comic was a Batman or Superman. Can't remember.

I know I taught myself how to read from Hulk.

Kristoffer
07-23-2004, 12:33 PM
I learned english by readin the american Spider-Man :D
b4 I was taught in school

Vash
07-23-2004, 12:47 PM
I wish kids in america would learn some English.

Hey, MK, for reelz, let me know what you've got in those Conan mags. I'm definetely interested.

MasterKiller
07-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Vash
I wish kids in america would learn some English.

Hey, MK, for reelz, let me know what you've got in those Conan mags. I'm definetely interested. I'll pull them out this weekend and take a couple of pics. 80 might have been an over-estimation, but I have a lot of them. They came out once a month, if I remember correctly, and I bought them for a few years straight, only missing one issue somewhere in there.

Vash
07-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Sounds good.

Chang Style Novice
07-23-2004, 08:01 PM
My first comic was so long ago I have no idea. Probably Richie Rich or Archie or something.

I'm not counting Peanuts, of course, because that goes right to the veryiest beginningest and anyway newspapers are totally diffferent.

Kristoffer
07-25-2004, 09:18 AM
yea strips don't count :)

..altough Dilbert is pretty good

Shaolinlueb
07-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Adam is a good comic [evil laugh]

Kristoffer
07-26-2004, 04:03 AM
this is a great site
http://www.newsarama.com/

doug maverick
07-26-2004, 07:44 AM
i love this company!
don't get me wrong i still want my marvel!(and batman)
but know one in the industry can touch the art i see in these books specifically the one drawn by a man named: Andy Seto. his art is some what untouchable, the stuff he did with crouching tiger and story of the tao is amazing. then theres the grand daddy of all kung fu comic book writers/artist tony wong, his four constables is one of the best books i've ever read if you haven't read anything from comics one trust me you should!!!!!!!!

@PLUGO
07-30-2004, 10:16 AM
for those of you who saw BATMAN: deadend here's the sequel
Hi Rez (http://www.jimbowers.biz/CW_images/Worlds_finest_Hi.mov)
Low Rez (http://www.jimbowers.biz/CW_images/Worlds_finest_Lo.mov)

Kristoffer
07-30-2004, 11:34 AM
I liked this one better than deadend

brothernumber9
08-12-2004, 07:37 AM
I think mainstream Marvel and DC comics are at a turning point. The comics are almost entirely tailored to an older audience (older than 13-15 yrs old) and are more story involved than fighting. I still like the corny old one and done issues of a super hero/team vs villain/team. I'll occasionally pick up reprints of old comics like marvel tales and X-men classic and marvel masterpieces. I think marvel recently had a month where they gave away several titles for that month free at comic shops.

I no longer collect comics for monetary value but for classic stories, I don't care if they are reprints. I'll usually look around in the 25cent boxes and find some nuggets, end up pulling several comics for less than 2 dollars. If only I had known when I used to buy comics for 35-50 cents.

Shaolinlueb
08-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by brothernumber9
I think mainstream Marvel and DC comics are at a turning point. The comics are almost entirely tailored to an older audience (older than 13-15 yrs old) and are more story involved than fighting. I still like the corny old one and done issues of a super hero/team vs villain/team. I'll occasionally pick up reprints of old comics like marvel tales and X-men classic and marvel masterpieces. I think marvel recently had a month where they gave away several titles for that month free at comic shops.

I no longer collect comics for monetary value but for classic stories, I don't care if they are reprints. I'll usually look around in the 25cent boxes and find some nuggets, end up pulling several comics for less than 2 dollars. If only I had known when I used to buy comics for 35-50 cents.

i agree brothernumber9. i like the uncanny xmen pre 300 after that it seemed to go downhill. after the age of apocolypse for the first year or so was the last time i remember liking the comics i read and that was 6/7 years ago, maybe more.

Starchaser107
08-13-2004, 07:00 AM
that's why i jumped on the image bus back in the day , mostly the wildstorm and top cow stuff. but nowadays i can't find anything anywhere that piques my interest.

Chang Style Novice
08-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Y'all need to step off from that superhero greasy kidstuff and try the alternatives.

Kristoffer
08-13-2004, 01:50 PM
I've read all the Usagi Yojimbo books, so should y'all

Chang Style Novice
08-20-2004, 10:17 AM
http://fourcolorheroes.home.insightbb.com/watchmenfree.html

A script for a movie version of "Watchmen." It is, at least in part, by Sam Hamm. That ought to speak for itself, but I'll go ahead and warn you explicitly anyway - it sucks. He's removed all of the best stuff and replaced it with retarded garbage.

Shaolinlueb
08-20-2004, 07:18 PM
the super hero stuff is great. if i want to read about depression adn the bad times of life ill jsut look at my life and write a book. hey SC you like cyberforce? i have the whole series minus the last 2 issues and all of weapon zero, two good series.

Starchaser107
08-21-2004, 08:02 AM
i have a fair amount of cyberforce, it was good, I preferred Wild c.a.t.s. , wetworks was okay too.
i really like cybernary with manabat , but my all time fave had to be between gen-13 and wild c.a.t.s. after a while the stories started getting sucky though.

the ones that sucked horribly from inception were youngblood, bloodstrike or bloodforce or whatever ...supreme, all of these had zero story zero artwork and too much gratuitous violence.
the only thing it had going for them was shock value and glossy paper to mirror the words of csn, and of course comuter colorization which was a new concept at the time... but they sucked at it anyway.

Starchaser107
08-21-2004, 08:04 AM
oh and I agree ,
comic books should be about escapism...that's what it is for most people. you can't escape if you're confronted with real problems in the stuff you immerse yourself in...that's masochistic.

Chang Style Novice
08-21-2004, 05:42 PM
There's mindless escapism in all media, though. Why should comics be the one where mindless escapism is the only thing available? That's like saying all films should be romantic comedies or all novels should be domestic drama.

Marshall McLuhan said the medium is the message, but that doesn't mean that form should be content.

Starchaser107
08-21-2004, 10:02 PM
"Why should comics be the one where mindless escapism is the only thing available?"

my bad,
i didnt mean to impose my tastes and fancies upon all.
sorry.
What I should have said , was that comics for me usually involve escapism, i know it's quite a difference from the original statement... my bad truly.

yo each thier own man.:D

Kristoffer
08-22-2004, 05:56 AM
As I've never came around to read Watchmen cover to cover I can't say I'm a fan. But I uderstand how how big a impact it had. If they make it a movie the chance is I'll still like it if they make it more action oriented than it should be.

To me escapism can be reading about depression and simillar. Like, reading about how miserable Peter Parker is, when his whole life is f'd up. I think I've read somewhere that people enjoy seeing other people that are in a worse situation than one self, that it makes one feel better about the own situation etc..

Starchaser107
08-22-2004, 07:43 AM
true,
however, the depression comic book heroes face is different from our own. peter parker has issues you and i will never ever have to contend with, so even if he's going through girl problems , or financial crisis, it's still coupled with whatever superhuman concerns that trouble him.
same with kenshin, we won't know what it is he feels , because none of us are ex-government assassins that are trying to walk away from a life of murder yet our past keeps following us.
the sadness we can identify with , but not the details that make it so.
i'm willing to bet that there's a heck of alot of people out there that don't care or will never care to read a comic book based on how peggy sue's cat ran up a tree and died in the winter unless it died of supernatural reasons or something to make it more interesting.
if mundane is your thing , then fine , more power to you , enjoy .

Kristoffer
08-22-2004, 09:45 AM
"i'm willing to bet that there's a heck of alot of people out there that don't care or will never care to read a comic book based on how peggy sue's cat ran up a tree and died in the winter unless it died of supernatural reasons or something to make it more interesting."

hehe yeah true true

Chang Style Novice
08-22-2004, 05:50 PM
And there are probably at least as many who couldn't give two sh!ts about mutants aliens or samurai. But could probably be tempted to read a murder mystery or religious comic - if they didn't see comics as exclusively the domain of x-men/richie rich/kid's stuff.

Vash
08-22-2004, 06:06 PM
From Hell owns X-Men.

Starchaser107
08-22-2004, 07:50 PM
"And there are probably at least as many"
I seriously doubt it.
the figures speak volumes.

Chang Style Novice
08-22-2004, 07:55 PM
I don't trust the figures because comix are ghettoized as the place where dumb young nerds go for their power fantasies. Serious work that would interest a serious (and possibly much larger) audience in many cases misses its target because it's in a comix medium. This is a problem that movies or novels don't really have.

And Vash has poisoned the correct with laudanum-laced grapes and cut its heart out.

Vash
08-22-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm still wanting to get a copy of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vI and II.

Alan Moore is Genius!

Kristoffer
08-23-2004, 03:47 AM
I swear to ****ing god he ****ing rocks, please I say please let him suck your ****

Shaolinlueb
08-23-2004, 05:03 AM
man i remember all the hype about wetworks and then i could never find any of it. but finally when i did it was on issue 4, i was like wtf mate?? gen 13 i never got into and neither did i wildcats, but i hear wildcats was great. i almost went to youngblood, cause i loved refield(sp?) when he created x-force (have whole series) and drew new mutants. but then i saw youngblood was like jsut a rip off of xforce i never got into it. i collected wetworks for a while, it was pretty good. are gen 13's still worth a lot? i liked a lot of the predator and alien comics created by darkhourse too. solar man of the atom was decent.

Kristoffer
08-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Was Wetworks part of Image?
I didn't read any of the Wildcats, or Youngblood.. But Gen13 was fun, much thank's to Campbells art.

Nick Forrer
08-23-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
And Vash has poisoned the correct with laudanum-laced grapes and cut its heart out.

When I read 'from hell' i have to say it was a strange experience

In the chapter where they go around London and explain the hidden symbolism of the architecture they visit bunhill fields graveyard (literally opposite my office building- where blake and defoe are buried) and essex road (the road that I live on).

Also in LXG 2 the bridge that one of the aliens is killed on is barnes bridge which i used to cross every day to get to college

I guess after years of reading American/new york set comics its weird to see storys set in London especially right where you live

oh and yes vash has initiated the correct into the masonic order with a secret hand shake

Kristoffer
08-23-2004, 06:09 AM
I wish someone would do something like that set in my town

Vash
08-23-2004, 06:33 AM
In reference in the Alien/Predator stories . . .

I'd like to see a predator-sans-humans mini. I was really intrigued by the portrayal of their culture in the first AvP series, and think a total reader immersion therein would be entertaining.

Yeah, From Hell was a real mind-****. And the conspiracies laid out by Moore really hinted at a world larger than most people know.

Speaking of mind-****s, I want the Invisibles. The way Morrison was talking, Matrix was a rip of some of the more important revelations/realities in this series. I've only read one issue, but the man knows how to craft the language. And the art didn't suck, either.

Chang Style Novice
08-23-2004, 09:33 AM
I thought Invisibles was uneven. There were a lot of very different, very talented artists doing the art, and while I sympathize with Moore's anarchistic leanings I find the idea that he takes the Majyckal/mystical stuff apparently very seriously a bit alienating. It makes for cool power fantasies, but I'm not very much into that stuff anymore - dealing with reality as I know it is much more engaging.

Heh - I said "Moore" up there, but I'm talking about Grant Morrison. Well, the same applies anyway.

Vash
08-23-2004, 09:46 AM
JLA: Earth 2 owns you.

On a super hero note, Batman: DKR was awesome. A little gritty, not my taste, but awesome none the less. I've yet to read DK2. I've heard that, since Miller (Sin City, another series of TPBs I hafta get) wanted to shy away from the grim n' gritty first series, this comic suxord. I refuse to believe. Is it true?

Starchaser107
08-23-2004, 10:03 AM
anybody here read the wolverine : origins book?
it's about logan before the experimentation stuff , his roots.
i was gonna get it but changed my mind, it looked okay though.

Vash
08-23-2004, 10:12 AM
If you're into that sorty thing. It was interesting, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Starchaser107
08-23-2004, 10:16 AM
well,
I didn't.

@PLUGO
08-23-2004, 10:41 AM
The wolverine ORIGIN was OK... but with-in the marvel continuity it may actually be a "false memory implant."

The Invisible was great fun but certainly suffered from changing editorial influences and the art was at time Amazing and at other horrid.

Check out THE FILTH with can be considered a distilled and tighter treatment of what the INVISIBLES was er... shoot for. recently collected in on Volume.

FROM HELL rocked... no doubt.

LoEG was also classic, both volumes 1 & 2... eagerly looking forwards to V3... but the back-up text are a must as well.

also worth noting is V for Vendeta which, while dated, still workes very well.

Also a very smart mix of Mature Escapism... SEAGUY. great artwork, funny and creapy... it's a 3 issue miniseries with a collected edition due out by the end of ths year.

Most of the Image team books have sort of flopped. WildC.A.T.s version 3 was very interesting and is just about wrapped up.

I would also suggest some of you check out PLANETARY...

Vash
08-23-2004, 11:00 AM
I've been meaning to pick up Planetary. I read the In Depth (or whatever) article in Wizard about them once. What I saw was exceptional. Looking to get the TPB.

Was looking into the Authority, but read a digital issue (thanks Kazaa) and was turned off. Just not my thing.

Still wanna get the SSoC from MK.

Chang Style Novice
08-23-2004, 11:09 AM
I like LXG okay. It's definitely minor Moore, but it really shows how fun and engaging well-crafted dumb pulp can be. Comparing it to the mass of superhero books quickly shows how those untalented hacks should be working anonymously to avoid reprisals from infuriated fans. However, comparing it to Moore's best work shows how LXG is just him hacking it out on a deadline without putting any real thought or emotion into it.

I'd say the same is true of all the ABC titles, except maybe Promethea, which has a whole diffferent set of problems (and virtues.)

Shaolinlueb
08-23-2004, 11:21 AM
is the wolverine orgin one... that was a 2 issue one right? or am i thinking where fought deathblow?
i liked his weapon x story in MCP.

and the apocolypse orgin was kinda lame, what is apocolypses mutant powers? im still confused. then they did the whole merge cyclops and apocolypse thing which was stupid i think. and it showed what he looked like to be an actual suit and he is some old man :rolleyes:

Starchaser107
08-23-2004, 11:44 AM
it's one of them graphic novels you might mistake for a colouring book.
As far as I know it was a one part story.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0785108661/104-3837844-4279142?v=glance

Chang Style Novice
08-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Paul Jenkins? Suddenly I'm kinda interested.

Starchaser107
08-23-2004, 11:59 AM
:D

Shaolinlueb
08-23-2004, 12:08 PM
60 bucks? :pssshhht:

i remember when that was out. i should have bought them if they were gonna be worth that much.

Starchaser107
08-23-2004, 12:24 PM
dude i saw it in barnes and noble for 14 dollars.

Shaolinlueb
08-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
dude i saw it in barnes and noble for 14 dollars.

phew. im there :)

@PLUGO
08-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Paul Jenkins? Suddenly I'm kinda interested.

Jenkins is a good writer... his charactor driven chops are pretty solid in this story. BUT... it's not that major as hyped secret origins go (and with-in the marvel Universe it's being heavily implied as a false memory). It set's up the sabertooh dynamic and ahhh... Logan's thing for redheads... Kubert's art was Okay... it was mostly about that then "new" digitial colouring style.

Starchaser107
09-07-2004, 03:47 PM
I managed to get a copy Transformers/G.I. Joe Vol 1. by John Ney Rieber and Jae Lee... It's a very good story I recommend it.

Dreamwaveprod.com

Shaolinlueb
09-08-2004, 12:03 PM
i jsut picked up two issues of x-force i was missing 107, 120 to make the series complete with all annuals and variations of number 1. and i picked up xmen 2099 25 and 29 to make that series complete. man the 2099 books. loong forgotten, ravage, doom, spiderman, xmen, hulk, punisher and one more maybe? i cant remember at all. im trying to finish off cyberforce, i gave up on the series with 2 issues left. and im trying to nail down ulitimate xmen 1-5 but i see those are worth soemthing now. lol

Li Kao
09-17-2004, 03:19 AM
First, I have to agree that V for Vendetta was definitely one of the best reads I have ever had... I also enjoyed the Vampire Lestat books.

But the first comic I ever really "collected" was the old Dark Horse versions of Lone Wolf and Cub -- now those were some seriously cool books, although it seemed to just go on forever. Great minimalist artwork though -- definitely my favorite B&W series ever.

@PLUGO
09-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Even though it's somewhat dated, much of what V for Vendetta says as a story still has alot to offer... it's still a great read once you get past the 1st chapter (it's most dated)

Lone wolf and Cub is another Classic. But yes it's an investment to collect that whole sprawling series.

I've just picked up Age of Bronze the story of the Trojan war. Probably the best B/W series coming out these days. Apparently it will consist of 7 2 inch thick graphic novels and detail every aspect of that tail from a full range of historical and mythological texts.
Read an interview with the creator, Eric Shanower (http://www.popcultureshock.com/features.php?id=64)

GeneChing
12-09-2021, 10:45 AM
Original Pink Ranger Writing a Power Rangers Comic (https://www.denofgeek.com/comics/original-pink-ranger-writing-a-power-rangers-comic/)
Amy Jo Johnson is currently writing a comic that will reunite the original Power Rangers!

By Shamus Kelley
|
December 6, 2021
|
https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Power-Rangers-Comic-Kimberly-Amy-Jo-Johnson.jpg?resize=768%2C432
Photo: Hasbro | Boom Studios
Since the Boom Power Rangers line of comics began it’s largely focused on the original Mighty Morphin team of characters. Now it appears that focus is about to go to the next level. Speaking at Emerald City Comic Con this past weekend, original Pink Ranger Amy Jo Johnson (who just directed an episode of Superman & Lois) let slip that she’s working on a comic for the line!
Johnson stated that “I wrote a comic book with my boyfriend and Boom is quite excited about it. We’re sort of in the process of getting it made.” Johnson describes the comic as taking place in the present day of the Power Rangers world, with the original Rangers now in their mid 40s. “A ‘where are they now?’ kind of thing – like a Power Rangers family reunion.”
This isn’t the first time Johnson has worked with Boom, having previously written the foreword for their Power Rangers Pink mini-series, which focused on her character of Kimberly. Johnson says that she’s never written a comic book but her boyfriend is obsessed with them so he’s the one “putting pen to paper” while she and him came up with the story together.
Though Johnson didn’t elaborate how far along in the process the comic is or if any art had been completed, she said she hopes its release coincides with the show’s 30th anniversary in 2023. She also thinks it would be a great idea, “if every one of the original Rangers did their own comic book. Like did their own version of ‘where are they now?’ from that person’s perspective.”
This isn’t the first time Boom has worked with a former Mighty Morphin cast member. Original Green Ranger Jason David Frank was a “Special Consultant” on the original graphic novel Power Rangers: Soul of the Dragon. Johnson however seems to be more involved in the creation of this comic and is taking the story in a different direction than either Soul of the Dragon or the main continuity of the comics.
Most of the Power Rangers comics ostensibly take place in the same continuity of the TV series though transplanted to modern day. If Johnson’s comic follows the Rangers in their mid 40s in present day it would most likely mean the story would be set in its own continuity and not follow the storyline of the comics. This would free her up to tell a more personal story instead of having to worry about whether her plot would conflict with the long running arc’s of the main comic.
We can’t wait to see what Johnson does with the comic, not only because of the unique perspective she’d bring to it as an original cast member, but also because she’s recently written and directed several short films. Stay tuned for more information as it’s released!
Thanks to @johnathancustis on Instagram for alerting us to the story.

Written by
Shamus Kelley | @riderjetfire
For more from Shamus including original TV scripts and podcasts visit www.ShamusKelley.com. He’s been a TV writer since 2009 when he created and executive produced the…
READ MORE FROM SHAMUS KELLEY

threads
Mighty-Morphin-Power-Ranger-news/ (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?38034-Mighty-Morphin-Power-Ranger-news/)
Comics (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?31388-Comics)

@PLUGO
12-14-2021, 03:31 PM
Available on Amazon written and illustrated by Sifu Mark Horton (Hong Ying Sifu 洪英老师) martial artist, champion, author & illustrator.

Check out my exclusive interview and preview pages of the graphic novel CHAN HUENG: MASTER OF KUNG FU. (https://atigerstale.com/master-of-kung-fu-chan-heung/)
#tigertuesday #atigerstale #exclusive #interview #KungFu #graphicnovels #martialarts #martialartist #selfpublishing #comics

GeneChing
07-19-2022, 10:34 AM
Dynamite and Immortal Studios Announce Publishing Partnership Ahead of Comic-Con International

July 18, Mt. Laurel, NJ: Ahead of ComicCon International, Dynamite is announcing a new publishing partnership with Immortal Studios, to bring the Los Angeles-based publisher’s shared universe of Wuxia martial arts-fantasy comic books to the broader marketplace. Through the Kickstarter crowdfunding platform, the Los Angeles-based publisher Immortal Studios has to date successfully funded three comic book series as part of a larger shared universe. Now Dynamite is set to bring these action packed titles to the direct market comic stores, digital vendors, bookstores, and beyond in multiple formats, with more releases and titles to come.

Immortal Studios’ Storyverse is spearheaded by the company’s Founder and CEO Peter Shiao, who is collaborating with a team of comic book storytellers to bring a modern sensibility to the Wuxia genre that has influenced contemporary pop culture, including Marvel's Shang-Chi, Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Matrix, and Star Wars, as well as countless anime and manga like Naruto. Wuxia, pronounced "woo-sha," is a long running genre born from China that depicts the adventures and trials of martial arts heroes, often but not always in historical settings and with fantasy elements. The Immortal Studios’ Storyverse is inspired by the storytelling of one of the foremost authors in the Wuxia genre, Peter Shiao’s father Shiao Yi, whose novels have been adapted into film and television more than thirty times, including films by the Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest.

"I am very excited that with this new partnership with Dynamite, one of the preeminent comic publishers, Immortal has dramatically increased our reach and visibility to fandom," said Shiao. "This is a very important step in our goal to build a multi-pronged distribution footprint to reach different market segments that are important for us. We look forward to sharing these Immortal stories which have already gained initial traction through our growing community to new audiences now available to us through Dynamite’s various distribution channels!"

"At Dynamite, our mission is always bringing diverse and entertaining stories to all kinds of audiences through the art forms that we love," said Nick Barrucci, Dynamite CEO and Publisher. "The relationship I've had with Immortal Studios’ Head of Publishing Hank Kanalz over the years has always been great, and when he presented this opportunity with Immortal Studios, and the ability to work with Peter and his team, I could not be more excited. This partnership is a natural fit with the ethos of our companies and I can't wait for readers to dig into these stories. Whether there are kids and adults craving this kind of representation and storytelling, or someone unfamiliar about to be swept up in something magical, we're looking forward to responses!"

Immortal Studios’ titles include:

· The Adept by writers Tasha Huo, Charlie Stickney, Alison Norrington, and Peter Shiao, artist Yishan Li, and letterer Deron Bennett. The Adept tells the deep and personal story of a young woman on a journey to master an ancient martial art that was thought to be long lost. Filled with action, transformation, and mystery, the key theme is about homecoming and redemption. Two action-packed chapters have been produced to date, featuring kidnapped pop stars, arcade brawls, and more.

· Chronicles of the Immortal Swordsman by writer Peter Shiao, artists Pop Mhan and Jheremy Raapack, colorist Rex Lokus, and letterer Deron Bennett. In this series, protagonist Phil Du escapes his struggles through parkour and online gaming. But when he's suddenly pulled into an ancient order of supernatural warriors amidst a civil war and cataclysm, he will have to step up to his destiny.

· Fa Sheng: Origins is created by Peter Shiao, written by Rylend Grant, illustrated by Dexter Wee, colored by Omi Remalante Jr., and letterred by Deron Bennett. The tale chronicles the humble beginnings of a great Shaolin Master. The series is written by Rylend Grant, a screenwriter, author, and Ringo Award-winning comic book creator who is also an ordained Soto Zen Buddhist monk.The series is recommended for fans of films based on the story of Ip Man, including the eponymous series and The Grandmaster.

· Assassin G by writer Jen Troy and artist He Tao, featuring coloring by Hi-Fi Design and lettering by AndWorld Design. This summer Immortal Studios will launch a Kickstarter campaign for this new series, from the CW’s Supergirl TV series writer Jen Troy, about the deadly saga of vengeance between warring factions in the martial underworld in the early 1980s. The novel that inspired Assassin G by Wuxia master Shiao Yi, 甘 19 妹 (Gan the 19th Sister), is known as one of the preeminent IPs in the Chinese speaking world which has been adapted for television four times, and this new series will mark the story’s first comic book and English language adaptation. The Assassin G Kickstarter pre-launch page for the campaign is now live.

“We plan on continuing to use Kickstarter to crowdfund new concepts and series, including our fourth series, ASSASSIN G,” said Immortal Studios’ Head of Publishing Hank Kanalz. “Kickstarter’s platform allows us to engage with a very active reader base, and take their feedback into consideration, prior to publishing the official, final version of any given series. This publishing partnership with Dynamite allows us to expand into the direct market and bookstores. With their success with THE BOYS and so many top shelf licensed comics, Dynamite brings an expertise that will help in our mission to broaden the wuxia genre in comics to a wider audience. I am thrilled to be working with Nick and crew again.”

Immortal Studios feature a range of variant covers from the likes of Gene Ha, Jim Cheung, Ming Doyle, Gian Gulang, Joyce Chin, and more. Other talents and staff behind the curtains include former longtime DC Comics editor Brian Cunningham and team members with experience at Disney, Warner Bros., Sony, 20th Century Fox, and more.

“Heroes in the wuxia genre are often everyday people who become extraordinary not because of machines or nuclear spills, but their own spirit and initiative,” said Shiao. “Immortal carries on the legacy of the wuxia genre and my father’s work, re-introducing and calibrating these timeless concepts for a modern, global audience who are hungry to connect with stories that are empowering. It is always during times of uncertainty that Wuxia rises, and we are very honored to be carrying its flag.”

More details on release dates, format, and more will be forthcoming from Dynamite and Immortal Studios.

####

About Dynamite Entertainment

Dynamite was founded in 2004 and is home to several best-selling comic book titles and properties, including The Boys, The Shadow, Red Sonja, Warlord of Mars, Bionic Man, A Game of Thrones, and more. Dynamite owns and controls an extensive library with over 3,000 characters (which includes the Harris Comics and Chaos Comics properties), such as Vampirella, Pantha, Evil Ernie, Smiley the Psychotic Button, Chastity, and Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt. In addition to their critically-acclaimed titles and bestselling comics, Dynamite works with some of the most high-profile creators in comics and entertainment, including Gail Simone, Christopher Priest, Leah Moore, Kevin Smith, David Walker, Vita Ayala, Danny Lore, Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis, Darick Robertson, Mark Russell, Brandon Thomas, Amy Chu, Reginald Hudlin, Nancy Collins, David Walker, Steve Orlando, Greg Pak, Jenny Frison, Matt Wagner, and a host of up-and-coming new talent. Dynamite is consistently ranked in the upper tiers of comic book publishers and several of their titles - including Alex Ross and Jim Krueger's Project Superpowers - have debuted in the Top Ten lists produced by Diamond Comics Distributors. In 2005, Diamond awarded the company a GEM award for Best New Publisher and another GEM in 2006 for Comics Publisher of the Year (under 5%) and again in 2011. The company has also been nominated for and won several industry awards, including the prestigious Harvey and Eisner Awards.

About Immortal Studios

Immortal Studios is an independent, comics first, content studio that is building the world’s first interconnected, comics-based Wuxia (martial arts-fantasy) storyverse with the aim to Awaken the Hero in Everyone with its uniquely empowering and elevating “essential Wuxia” ethos where Everyone is the One.

The Company has created its own “radical fan engagement” playbook and is developing, funding, marketing and distributing content in concert with its users.

Comics (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?31388-Comics)
Immortal-Studios-Home-of-Essential-Wuxia-Stories (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72344-Immortal-Studios-Home-of-Essential-Wuxia-Stories)
Comic-Cons (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70242-Comic-Cons)