Tzu Jan Mustapha
10-16-2001, 10:59 PM
my kicks suck (relatively speaking)!

how do i make them stronger and better?

HELP!

TJM

JWTAYLOR
10-16-2001, 11:02 PM
Break apart each part of the kick. Make sure you have a clear chamber, extention, rechamber and plant for every single kick. Make sure you have your balance, make sure that your heel goes all the way around when it should. Make sure you have good foot position. Make sure your guard is where it should be. Make sure you are rotating or thrusting through with your hips. Make sure you shoulders have propper alignment. Then, once you've got all of this right, and you can do it slow. Go get a heavy bag or a partner with a kicking pad and throw a couple of hundred a day.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

KC Elbows
10-16-2001, 11:03 PM
Practice them a lot, determine if you have specific questions about them and ask your teacher those questions, watch the movements of really good kickers and see how they do things differently than you, and lots and lots of practice.

KC Elbows
10-16-2001, 11:04 PM
I defer to JWT.

Shaolin36
10-16-2001, 11:20 PM
First, what kind of kicks are you having trouble with. Each has its own principals.
If all of them, start with the easiest?

Shaolin36

Johnny Hot Shot
10-17-2001, 12:01 AM
Like JWT said focus on the techniques. And practice ,pracitce, practice. Seriously a few hundred kicks a day is not a over estimate.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

kwokfist
10-17-2001, 02:10 AM
practice WITH GOOD FORM. practicing 100 times a day with crappy form won't do you any good. In fact, it will do you bad.

Ask your instructor to show you the kicks you are having trouble with with proper form. do them at home, do them in steps, do them slowly and do them with deliberation. Once you get good, then you can break some of the rules. but not now

Stumblefist
10-17-2001, 07:11 AM
Do all the other stuff and periodically...
go on a country road in the afternoon kicking instead of walking with periods: kick, breathing exercise, stretch, kicking, breathing exercise, stretch. 2-3 hours no resting. do 750 to a 1000, not too any kinds 3 or 4 kinds of kicks, make one a stretch kick, after each kick step into bow stance. Make each movement precise with hand patterns and feet.

"This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me"

Stumblefist
10-17-2001, 08:47 AM
And more in walking/kicking:
Go slowly methodically, concentrate on breathing, pause between each kick and relax and then concentrate on sudden movement with the leg muscles. Whole body should kick with whole body weight, shoulders, hips bottom foot everything. Most common bad form you see is the kicking foot move and then the suuport foot shift afterwards, this should happen simultaneously.
On about 2 to 500 out of 1000 don't return the leg to the ground immediately, retract it to knee-high, balance then advance to forward bow.
Involve the hands in a kick to hand or kick to palm or cross the palm(s) or in blocking patterns.

"This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me"

Shaolin
10-17-2001, 09:28 AM
Incase you haven't figured it out yet and to reiterete what everyone else is saying, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. ;)

Attack me and I'll kill you.