PDA

View Full Version : how do you mix your protein powder?

rubthebuddha
07-22-2004, 11:06 AM
i'm going through a bit of a dilemmer on my protein. i used to take a high-protein meal-replacement shake (http://www.bioplexnutrition.com/bp/bp_nutrition_shake.html) once or twice per day, but it started to make me nauseous at the taste. so i switched to a unflavored pure whey protein isolate (http://www.bioplexnutrition.com/bp/bp_pure_wpi.html) so i can mix it with juice (tried lemony juice and cran-grape so far) and i'm still having the same feelings of nausea. the products aren't bad -- several people i know are using them. it's just a personal reaction to the taste.

so anyhoo, how do you all mix your protein, particularly when you do it without a blender? mine's in storage, so i'm currently stuck with those glorified martini shakers with the mesh at the top.

suggestions? :confused:

Ford Prefect
07-22-2004, 11:24 AM
I use water or skim milk. I throw it in a shaker bottle and just manually do it.

You get used to the taste. Just suck it up and pound the stuff. Getting used to nasty tasting shakes and pounding them has added a lot to my beer drinking ability.

rubthebuddha
07-22-2004, 11:36 AM
i've been doing protein for a few years -- the nausea has only happened in the past couple weeks. note that i haven't yarfed in about 10-15 years, so any time i get nauseous, my curiosity is quite piqued.

besides, beer-drinking ability isn't one of my priorities, even though i'm moving to texas soon. i'll be an outcast, but at least i'll have nice pipes. :D

the good news? margaritas are where it's at, and i think even the gas stations and post offices in houston will blend you one while you're waiting.

mickey
07-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi rubthebuddha,

When I used protein powder I would put the amount of powder in the glass first. Add a little liquid at a time while stirring to eliminate lumps. By the time you have about half a glass, the powder should be well mixed. Add the rest of your liquid, stir and enjoy.

Also consider these factors:

1- You may be developing an allergy. Switch brands or change your protein source.

2- The powder may contain an impurity. Record batch # and contact the company.

3- Your shake may be too thick. Add more liquid.

I hope this helps,

mickey

Toby
07-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
... so i can mix it with juice (tried lemony juice and cran-grape so far) and i'm still having the same feelings of nausea.Bleah! There's your problem. Once I tried mixing my powder with a tropical juice blend. Oh man, it was tough. It just seems to suit skim milk naturally. I've tried with water, but that's pretty sick too. So yeah, milk, milk, milk, rubby. I throw in some diet chocolate flavouring sometimes to change it up a bit. When I make a strong mix it has the consistency of cream, but the flavour's alright. I use the same stuff you're describing, a WPI and a calcium caseinate and they're 90% and 80% protein respectively with no added flavourings. I use a Bamix and have only had it at home so no mixing probs. During the day it's cans of tuna and biltong for my protein fix.

rubthebuddha
07-22-2004, 09:10 PM
ok ok, i'll do the milk thing. i just don't drink it very much. i save it for special occasions -- like cereal. mmmmmmmmcereal.

IronFist
07-22-2004, 09:57 PM
16oz water.

3 scoops N-Large Vanilla flavor.

6 frozen strawberrys.

Blend it up in that order.

Mmmmmm :)

Oh wait that's an MRP, not just a protein shake.

Make sure you guys check the sodium levels on your protein shakes. Some have a LOT of sodium. You don't want a protein shake to be like eating a bag of pretzels.

Some shakes suck to mix and you have to use a blender.

Meat Shake
07-23-2004, 01:46 PM
First of all...
"how do you all mix your protein,"
If you want to move to texas, thats gotta be fixed.
Yall.
;)

Designer strawberry whey is unquestionably the best tasting protein on the market. Any designer whey actually tastes pretty **** good.
Depends on how much time I have, what Ive eaten as to waht I mix it with. I drink 3 a day, 3 scoops w/17.5 grams per scoop. Usually I just do 2 skim milk, 1 1% milk, or 2 water, 1 1% milk... or sometimes I use the blender and mix...
3 scoops, about a cup of milk, 6 ice cubes or so, frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and a couple scoops of rainbow sherbert. I promise you wont even know youre drinking protein.

Oh yeah, and after workouts, I always add honey to my shakes for the insulin and eat a banana for the extra potassium... Some study I read said that the 2 together do something really good for you, but I forgot and dont care because I like bananas and honey anyways. :)

Edit: For non smoothie style whey, I bought something called a "power shaker" from the local health store. Just a cup with a sealable lid and meshy type things to break the whey up.

FooFighter
07-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Rub

I personally used "NiroTech" but I would not say it is the best but it works for me. I shake it in a plastic shaker container which I brought from the GNC. I usually drink one NiroTech after a cardio workout and one "MesoTech" after strength conditioning practice. I used plain water and sometimes at home I mix with milk. I keep it simple and low maintance.

My personal view is go with what your body tells you and if that doesnt work, get some real steroids. Kidding, mmm? Maybe whey protein is not good for your body and you should try another source of protien? Moreover, I think whole organic food is better for a healthy lifestyle than what supplement companies are marketing to the masses of muscle seeking newbies and I believe performance enhancing supplements should be "secondary" to a well balance diet. Your supplements should evolve around a balance, sound, personalized, healthy diet and not your diet evolving round supplements.

rubthebuddha
07-23-2004, 03:00 PM
mrp or just protein, i don't care.

i want lots of protein in an easy to prepare and ingest fashion. i'm not taking up fellatio, so rule that out. protein bars give me stale ****s like there's no tomorrow. drinks are an easy answer, but my blender is in storage. i have two of those shakers (the plastic ones with meshy stuff inside to sift/mix better) and they work fine.

methinks i'm just gonna have to do that "milk" thing. :o

i gots to say -- the best-tasting protein smoothie ever is the zone zinger (retarded name, i know) from emerald city smoothie. strawberries, papaya, lemon and cranberry juice, flax seed oil, lecithin and about 30 grams of whey. mmmmmmmmmmm. so very super good. anyone who's in the PNW has to hit up emerald city smoothie.

foo -- my diet is decent already and getting better every week. however, to get the amount of protein i want, i'd have to double my meat intake, and that's not happening any time soon. i'm going to be married soon, and i don't want to scare my wife out of bed.

but you are right. look at the definition of supplement (noun). it means in addition to. it should supplement (verb) what is already there, and for health, what is already there should be quality. :)

Toby
07-23-2004, 07:26 PM
methinks i'm just gonna have to do that "milk" thing.The other bonus is the high % of protein in milk too. Lately I've been drinking about 2L a day, some with protein powder, some without.

blooming lotus
07-23-2004, 07:51 PM
i'm going through a bit of a dilemmer on my protein. i used to take a high-protein meal-replacement shake (http://www.bioplexnutrition.com/bp/bp_nutrition_shake.html) once or twice per day, but it started to make me nauseous at the taste. so i switched to a unflavored pure whey protein isolate (http://www.bioplexnutrition.com/bp/bp_pure_wpi.html) so i can mix it with juice (tried lemony juice and cran-grape so far) and i'm still having the same feelings of nausea. the products aren't bad -- several people i know are using them. it's just a personal reaction to the taste.

so anyhoo, how do you all mix your protein, particularly when you do it without a blender? mine's in storage, so i'm currently stuck with those glorified martini shakers with the mesh at the top.

suggestions? :confused:

mmmm...feeling ya there...........protein in China ( if you can find itr at all tastes putrid)..............generally I'll go water, or no fat milk and maybe for sake of viscous, 2 birds one stone etc..........I'll throw in some goats milk ( all praise idione) and if I'm really soreabout the taste do some nesquick or coffee...............

I go way too high on protein intake personally ., but followinh up with lemon juice in or without sodawater or a shot of high % wine usually cuts it nicely.................

Ps......watermelon and a body cleanser is also a nice addition...........

cheers .

Toby
07-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
I go way too high on protein intake personally ., but followinh up with lemon juice in or without sodawater or a shot of high % wine usually cuts it nicely...How does lemon juice or wine cut the protein?

Originally posted by blooming lotus
Ps......watermelon and a body cleanser is also a nice addition...Not sure about the body cleanser, but mmmm, watermelon.

blooming lotus
07-23-2004, 08:04 PM
body cleanser = laxative............high water/ sugar to activate.....

wine has a specific effect and lemon juice is a close second.............check it out and you'll undeeeesttand my meaning........ps...lemn isalso good ( promting digestive assistance and all) for a carb overload.......Ie......when that burger/pizza/ sandwich was looking all too tempting...........a persons' gotta eat right ;)

blooming lotus
07-23-2004, 08:06 PM
probably not so clear.......lemon deals with sugars, oils and helps digestion.check the whites of your eyes post and compare pre.....health is obvious............red wine causes a unique detox ( in small regular amounts ) and has a special propery that breaks down protein and other excesses......

frequent use of both leads to better health regardlesss of whatelse you do..............

cerebus
07-23-2004, 08:23 PM
There are two answers to any problems you may have with the taste of ANY food, depending on what you're eating.

1) Wasabi!

2) Chocolate syrup!

I'm guessing you might wanna try #2 on this one. :D :D