PDA

View Full Version : Eishunken - Japanese Wing Chun

sticky fingers
06-30-2001, 06:50 PM
The kanji or chinese characters of Wing Chun is pronounced Eishunken in Japanese. I know there are Eishunken schools in Tokyo and Osaka. Has anyone here trained in any of those schools? Is it different to Hong Kong style Wing Chun?

She offered her honour,
I honoured her offer;
so all through the night,
I was honour and offer!!

adepss
07-02-2001, 03:10 PM
Hi I thought you said you'd actually visited that dojo in osaka yourself P!

Why don't you go and check it out and let us know what you find out.

Are you back training at Osaka jo park these days?

sticky fingers
07-03-2001, 10:30 AM
ha ha u got me...I'm too slack.
I've actually been back in Oz for the past 3 weeks, visiting family and attending some WC classes while I have the chance. With 10 months of relative inactivity, my fitness has gone down the drain, not to mention my WC in general. Really noticed it when I went back to class. I've also lost 6kg of good bodyweight, so I intend to join some sort of martial art when I get back to Japan...maybe jujitsu...any recommendations?

She offered her honour,
I honoured her offer;
I was honour and offer!!

adepss
07-03-2001, 03:24 PM
hmmm well how about joining Tipness the local gym?
as for jujutsu, I don't know of any dojos first hand but they should'nt be too hard to locate.

aelward
07-29-2001, 07:14 PM
Hello,

If you can read Japanese, then pick up "Bujutsu" magazine. There is a huge directory in the back, and I saw at least 4 entries for Wing Chun.

I have a si-hing who teaches in Yokohama and Shinjuku, named Qian Yan. I don't have his webpage address on this computer, unfortunately, though I will repost when I get on my Japanese computer.

Also, Kawamura Youzou, who I believe was a student of Wong Sheung Leung, has a pretty large organization based out of Tokyo. The school you mention in Osaka is probably one of his branches. One of my kung fu brothers visited him last year, but he is a cynic, so his opinion really doesn't matter.

I will probably be going to Kyoto this January, and will be looking into Kansai Wing Chun schools if I have time (or, if I can thaw myself out)... we could always hook up and look together if you are interested!

aelward
07-29-2001, 09:31 PM
check out these links if your computer can read Japanese:

http://yokohama.cool.ne.jp/wingchun/
http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/se/~rp017970/Wing-Chun/hw1.html
http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~karatedo/sub3/usyuguide.htm
http://pweb.sophia.ac.jp/~g-fabrot/wingchun.htm
http://members.aol.com/JALbs44

sticky fingers
08-02-2001, 07:10 PM
hey thanks aelward

I thought this thread was dead and buried, lucky I checked page 2 today, I usually don't. I had a Japanese friend ring up a Kawamura Youso branch in Nishinomiya and the reply wasn't encouraging. The guy who answered said it's difficult to train foreigners because of the language barrier and also that their Eishunken was not the same as HK style WC. What did your friend think about it?
Let me know when you are coming, my email is gorotsuki69@yahoo.com I can introduce you to other WC practitioners around Kansai if you're interested.
until then, I'm going to check out a Shodokan Aikido dojo just as soon as I get back from my O-bon holiday in Thailand.

She offered her honour,
I honoured her offer;
I was honour and offer!!

aelward
08-05-2001, 07:56 PM
Hello Stickyfingers,

My sidai has an interesting take on everything, so you always have to take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Apparently, Kawamura refused to touch hands with him (which most Sifu's do, it seems), but he did get to roll with one of his students of nine-years. Said his hands were very soft, maybe to a fault because of a loss of structure. Once again, my sidai has a wierd view on everything, and some people also question his WC.

sticky fingers
08-20-2001, 02:53 PM
which branch did your sidai visit, in Tokyo or Osaka?

She offered her honour,
I honoured her offer;
I was honour and offer!!

aelward
08-21-2001, 06:40 PM
Hello,

He visited the tokyo branch

JK-
"Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

sticky fingers
08-31-2001, 06:36 PM
I managed to get in touch by email with a Mr Takahashi who is the sensei of the branch in Suita (North Osaka). Takahashi-san said that he is busy as he works full-time and teaches part-time and can't accept new students until April next year. He mentioned that his eishunken also involves the more traditional aspects which he says a lot of Western WC doesn't incorporate. He didn't elaborate- so I guess maybe internal exercises? animal forms? i dunno

She offered her honour,
I honoured her offer;
I was honour and offer!!

aelward
09-14-2001, 09:34 AM
> He mentioned that his eishunken also involves
> the more traditional aspects which he says a
> lot of Western WC doesn't incorporate. He
> didn't elaborate- so I guess maybe internal
> exercises? animal forms? i dunno

Yeah, I wonder what he meant. WC is taught so differently from place to place, I don't know how you can generalize what is taught in the West. Or in Asia, for that matter.

As for "traditional", I think we can see from most of the literatur now available that despite the myriad differences in which WC is practiced from lineage to lineage, the principles more or less stay the same. So I would personally be a bit wary if someone tries to sell their style as the most "traditional" or "authentic."

What is this guy's e-mail address? I'd like to write him sometime.

JK-

sticky fingers
09-14-2001, 08:16 PM
his email is in one of the links you gave me. I can forward you his reply if you give me your email address. It's quite lengthy and of course in Japanese.

The difference between unclear war and nuclear war is in the way you use the U.N...

chi-kwai
09-14-2001, 08:25 PM
If its in romaji, i wouldn't mind translating it. I need the practice. I don't read kanji/-kana well though, so don't bother if thats the case.

--
chi kwai

aelward
09-15-2001, 04:04 AM
Please e-mail it to me at: aelward@hotmail.com

I have a computer running Japanese Windows, so I should be able to decode it.

thanks!

JK-

sticky fingers
09-20-2001, 06:06 AM
sorry, it's in kanji. I've forwarded the email to aelward so if you want the translation you can ask him.

The difference between unclear war and nuclear war is in the way you use the U.N...

aelward
09-24-2001, 12:38 AM
After reading this letter, I have to say I am a little dubious. Some points:

1. You have to be able to speak Japanese
2. He won't take new students until April 2002
3. You have to start at the beginning

These I can understand... however, he also adds:

1. Chinese teachers don't teach non-Chinese and Chinese the same way.

2. For example, in Taiwan (Studying in TAiwan, I can tell you that my Sifu taught Chinese and non-Chinese the same way).

3. The way they teach is traditional (whatever that is supposed to mean).

I will probably try to visit this guy in January when I go to Kansai again, so I can get an idea of what he is doing.

JK-