PDA

View Full Version : XingYi in Central Florida?

SCFalken
07-24-2004, 06:24 AM
Question for the gurus:

I'm headed to the University of Florida, in the Spring. Is there a good/reputable Xingyi instructor within driving distance?

UF has good Martial Arts clubs, but they are mostly Karate/Judo. The Shotokan group is particularly good, but I've been studying Shotokan for 6 years now, and would like to experience something different.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

BigRedMountain
07-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Mike,
Thank you for posting your inquiry. I am always so pleased to encounter fellow Internal Artists in Central Florida.
There are several excellent Xingyi instructors in our area. A few of those instructors, also still train, under a Xingyi / Tai Chi Master named Huan Fan Wang.

Master Wang’s class is in the downtown Orlando area on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, from about 6:30 until everyone is ready to go home. The students interested in Tai Chi meet first and the Xingyi students start to gather around 8:00ish. A few who are interested in one art, soon find themselves attending both sessions.

This is not a particularly fancy class, with everyone in matching uniforms that have extravagant logos, not that there’s anything wrong with that.
What you WILL find there are some of the most dedicated Internal Artists in the area. Some of his students have over 20 years of experience in their respective arts. I am aware of 2 students that travel over 50 miles to attend his classes.

Please, feel free to treat yourself to a visit.
But don’t put it off for very long. He will only be in this area for another couple of years before returning to China.

I will be happy to give you directions or answer any further questions you may have.
You can E-mail me at cad@cfl.rr.com

~Peace~

BigRedMountain
07-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Mike,
I also have to tell you that there is an amazing school located less than 5 miles from the UCF campus named “Extreme Harmony Marshal Arts Academy”.
They have several Marshal Arts instructors who are highly skilled in a variety of Arts.
If you are interested in “experiencing something different” I recommend a visit to them as well. You won’t be disappointed.
Check out the curriculum on their website at http://www.extremeharmony.biz/.

~Peace~

Tak
07-28-2004, 06:36 AM
UCF is a long way from UF.

BigRedMountain
07-28-2004, 06:55 AM
My bad.
(Note to self: READ post before replying.)

Thanks Tak!

SCFalken
07-28-2004, 06:48 PM
BRMountain,
Thanks for the info. As I said, I'll be transferring out to UF in the Spring. Driving down to Orlando once a week will not be much of a problem. I'll certainly make sure to seek out Master Wang.
You said there were other instructors in the area, as well. Do any have websites, and/or teach on weekends? Thanks again.

Mike

Supervillain
09-20-2004, 09:29 AM
I live in Gainesville also, but I practice Pong Lai northern praying mantis in Tampa(when I can make it down there). I have been looking for a local Ba Gua or Xing Yi teacher but haven't come up with much. I am curious to find out if you have found anyone in the area. A tai chi lady told me about a guy who is "proficient" in Xing Yi here in Gainesville...I will let you know if he is teaching after I track him down.

Peace
Derrick