PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition article and question....

Samurai Jack
07-24-2004, 08:42 PM
I stumbled across the following article in my local paper.

"DEAR DR. DONOHUE: I am into bodybuilding in a big way and have made progress, but not enough to satisfy me. I spend long hours in the gym, and I love every minute of it. I can't figure out what I might be doing wrong. How about nutrition? I haven't paid much attention to it. Does it have much impact on bodybuilding? -- R.R.

ANSWER: Nutrition has as big a role in building muscle size and strength as lifting weights has.

Your question inspired me to search for information on the subject. I found an excellent article written by Jeff Volek from the University of Connecticut. It's in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, volume 36, No. 4, April 2004, pp. 689-696. Maybe your local library can get a copy for you.

The gist of the article is that what you eat and when you eat it greatly influences muscle growth and the production of hormones that influence muscle growth. Those hormones include insulin, testosterone, growth hormone and insulinlike growth factor, a hormone that promotes growth of all body tissues.

Lifting weights has two effects. It stimulates protein synthesis and also leads to protein breakdown. Muscles grow when synthesis exceeds breakdown.

When amino acids and carbohydrates are taken within three hours after a weightlifting session, protein synthesis greatly increases. Amino acids are the basic units of proteins, and proteins are the stuff of which muscles are made. The amino acids most important for achieving this effect are ones called essential amino acids (amino acids the body cannot manufacture on its own) and branched-chained amino acids, ones that have a special chemical configuration. Let me end it by naming them: histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine. You can take them in powder form (from a health food store). All that is needed is 6 grams (.21 ounces) of the powder. The carbohydrate requirement can be met with 35 grams (1.2 ounces) of table sugar.

A well-balanced meal within three hours of exercise provides the same stimulus if it has protein and carbohydrates. Good protein sources are eggs, milk, meat, fish and poultry. Fruits, grains and vegetables provide the carbohydrates. Not only do carbs influence protein synthesis, they also restore muscle glycogen -- muscle sugar that provides energy for muscle contraction."

Did I read that right? 6 grams of protein and 35 grams of carbs following exercise is enough stimulate muscle growth? That's a rounded teaspoon of whey protein (for example) and five teaspoons of sugar mixed in water.

Is anyone able to check his source? Is this even believable?

IronFist
07-24-2004, 10:26 PM
wtf, if that guy has his own column then I should totally have one.

FooFighter
07-25-2004, 04:09 AM
When I was into bodybuilding, I remember that "post workout"
drinks which were higher in carbs than protein. EAS was the first to make this kind of supplement. The research was correct and the simple reason behind it was insulin level is increase after you drink carbs after an intense workout which helps muscles to recover faster and faster recovery means quicker gains.

Ford Prefect
07-25-2004, 05:15 AM
Yeah. I wouldn't go as low as 6g, but most post workout drinks are around 10-15g protein and 25-30g carbs. You are supposed to eat a large meal 45 minutes after though.

FooFighter
07-25-2004, 08:14 AM
Back in the days when I was poor college student trying to pump my pec, I recalled I ate a small portion of cottage cheese and a large ratio of blueberries and grapes after my workouts. The gym at the time was kind of enough to allow me to store my food in their ice box. This is a cheap man's post workout meal. High in carbs and low in protein.

IronFist
07-25-2004, 09:44 AM
6g of protein is a good after workout meal...

... for a small dog, maybe :)

mickey
07-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Greetings,

The belief that you need a lot of protein is a commercial myth that can have negative consequences. High amounts of protein can cause kidney damage.

When it came to protein powders in the past, purity was important. The athlete adjusted the amount according to his needs; but it was never to excess like it is today.

Weight training was done to augment performance and improve health. The sport of bodybuilding gradually moved away from this, steered by money hungry supplement companies.

mickey

Toby
07-25-2004, 09:20 PM
I take about 35g of protein powder, some diet chocolate syrup and about 1/2L of milk. So about 55-60g protein and minimal carbohydrates. I follow up with a strong coffee, and there's my breakfast :D. Oh yeah, and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil first, plus a multivitamin both followed closely by my shake. But I'm trying to cut at the moment. Carbs should be high GI. Maltodextrin and dextrose are popular for muscle building (and cheap).

Serpent
07-25-2004, 11:36 PM
You can't grow muscles on protein alone, you need the carbs too. Unless you're trying to get really ripped (and why would you do that?!) then don't forsake the carbs, speshly at breakfast.

Toby
07-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
You can't grow muscles on protein alone ...I'm not trying to :p. I'm trying to lose fat. Lots of protein will hopefully just minimise muscle catabolism. My workout regime doesn't really cater to muscle growth anyway.