PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chuns Pactitioners in San antonio

txwingchun
07-01-2001, 08:44 PM
Hello i'm new to the board. I've been in and out of MA since i was 10(thanks to my dad!) i've pracitced a few different styles and have been trying to get back into it. For the past five years i've been attempting to start Wing Chun with not much luck, just haven't had time. So as a temp solution i've been using the Randy williams books to at least practice a little,i hate using books but i'm desperate! I've been considereing to schools i've found in San Antonio. I would like some opinions from you that are serious practitioners. I want a school thats top quality, i've had the problems of schools i went to and devoted myself to for a few years only to have them shutdown on me and after a while i got burned out on them. on is on austin hwy(i can't remember the name) and the other is on vance jackson,and if i remember correctly that school doesn't bother with a belt/sash. I prefer that since i don't put much stock in belt rank anyway. You help is much appreciated

wongfeilung809
07-02-2001, 08:01 AM
both are good, ive have been two the one on austin hwy, but it depends what you want, i go to the one on vance jackon and he teaches muay tai and kali as well, you should go see them both and choose your self...

txwingchun
07-02-2001, 05:40 PM
That's helpful i just wanted to make sure that both were legit i'll look into them. Thanks for the help.

Vankuen
07-06-2001, 07:51 AM
Who the hell is on Vance Jackson?! Is that the Gary Leal guy who does wing chun "concepts"?

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

wongfeilung809
07-06-2001, 09:09 AM
its gilbert leal, and the concepts guy is on 36 street i believe, that richard sanchez

wongfeilung809
07-06-2001, 04:07 PM
hey ironfoot,what made you get burned out on the other schools you went to ?

mikey
07-06-2001, 08:22 PM
doesn't Dave Meadows teach in San Antonio?
I have heard good things about him.

wongfeilung809
07-06-2001, 10:00 PM
i dont know, i heard theres another wing chun guy down here, havent been able to find him, maybe thats him....

Vankuen
07-07-2001, 01:29 AM
My question is, who is the best to train with in SA for wing chun. The only real commercial school for a true lineage is the William Parker school of the leung ting (yip man) lineage. Ive heard some not so good things about their school, and the teacher.

Then theres Richard Sanchez. All I have to say about that is "wing chun concepts" to me sounds like "I dont really know all of, and dont teach wing chun" Sound to me like he would have like a years experience in real wing chun and then took off to teach the bare minimum. But then again...dont know much about him either.

Gilbert Leal I have heard some good things about.....but where is he and how does one get in contact with him? Does he know the entire wing chun system to teach it?

Dave Meadows....never heard the name, didnt know he was in san antonio, and if he is......how do we contact him?!

What about you Simpleangles, who are you training under now? didnt you learn under parker for a while?

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

wongfeilung809
07-07-2001, 10:05 AM
well let me try to clear this mess up, as best as i know...in the begining..lol, lueng ting had a student and his name was gilbert leal...that was in the early 80s, now parker and jeff webb, used to be students under leal, untill 89,90 when my sifu leftthe org., he,gilbert leal, doesnt know all of the wing chun system, nor do parker or webb, i heard they just got to 3 rd primary , which leal has had for about 15 years now...now where does richard fit into all of this, well, along with parker and webb, richard was a student of leals, my older kung fu brother,he learned as much as he thought nessary and then went to train for a couple of years with parker, he got his instructor certificate under parker, but since he broke off form the org. WT, he cant use the name, wing tsun, so he called it "wing chun concepts"...last time i talked to him, he was really into grappling and kali, like parkers school, but he was getting it from somewhere else. i havent talked to him in over a year.. does that help a little, its 3 in the morning, and i think i forgot the rest of the question(s).
simpleangles

txwingchun
07-07-2001, 04:01 PM
ii've joined up with gilbert leal. he's a good instructor and did train with leung ting.
simple angles to answer your question- i got burned out because every school i went to closed down on me as i was getting to them more advanced level of the class. i don't regret it too much since it was only Tae kwon do anyway. Because when i study it becomes more of a way of life for me i take it very seriously i don't just show up for a class once to twice a week for a little aerobics like alot of people do. I always devoted my self fully to the school and instructor and when they keep shutting down on me i got tired of spending my money on them. Thats why i like this board everybody he is a true practitioner(well accept for the occasional troll). i know if i need worthwhile opinions i can post comments here.

wongfeilung809
07-08-2001, 11:20 PM
what days do you go to "class" ironfoot.

El_CLap
07-08-2001, 11:30 PM
Dave Meadows teaches out of Virginia I believe.

txwingchun
07-09-2001, 01:27 AM
wed and sat