PDA

View Full Version : Is 70lbs heavy enough for a heavy bag?

IronFist
07-24-2004, 11:20 PM
So my gym finally told me they're not getting a punching bag after 3 months of telling me "we're working on it." So I guess I have to hang one in my apartment. So is 70lbs heavy enough? I don't want to hang something too heavy from the stud in the ceiling. 70lbs is like the standard weight, right? Will that be ok or will it be weak and girly?

Vash
07-24-2004, 11:28 PM
I generally like the eighty pounders, but I guess 70 doesn't suxors.

IronFist
07-24-2004, 11:42 PM
What if I attach the bottom ring to a weight on the floor or whatever. Will that give the effect of a slightly heavier back?

Where do you get an 80lb bag? I just saw 50s, 70s, and 100 was the next step up.

SevenStar
07-25-2004, 12:09 AM
I think ours is well over 100. it's a bananna bag though. the weight of the bag will depend on you. I can rock a 70 lb bag with ease, so I don't like them, unless someone is holding it.

Shooter
07-25-2004, 12:41 AM
70lb is too light...double it :D

David Jamieson
07-25-2004, 05:23 AM
70 lbs is the wieght of a standard boxing heavy bag.

why do people have it in their head that more is better?

It's not always the case. Super heavy bags are used when you dont have a partner to hold the bag and give you more resistance, but they are not really popular simply because they are a hassle to move around, hang up etc etc.

yenhoi
07-25-2004, 09:06 AM
70 lbs gets easy very fast. 100lbs is better all around.

why do people have it in their head that less is better?

:confused:

yenhoi
07-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Do any companies even sell bags heavier then 100lbs?

Ive "inherited" a couple 250lb bags but they were custom made like 15 years ago.

FatherDog
07-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
Super heavy bags are used when you dont have a partner to hold the bag and give you more resistance

And IF doesn't have a partner to hold the bag and give him more resistance. Thus, we're advising him to get a heavier bag.

IronFist
07-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Yeah, but it's going to be hanging in my freaking apartment ceiling so I don't want to go too heavy. I still need to find out if this is going to work. Stupid ass gym not buying a fvcking heavy bag.

SifuAbel
07-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by yenhoi
Do any companies even sell bags heavier then 100lbs?

Ive "inherited" a couple 250lb bags but they were custom made like 15 years ago.

If you "double bag" you can get about 200 pounds of corn in there.

parts:

2 everlast canvas bags(they're cheap but please use bag gloves) , unfilled.

200 pounds of dry corn. Any feed store will have this. Also cheap.

start with about 170 pounds of it, then as it crushes go ahead and fill little by little.

Use both bags eye buckles and hooks so you have 8 total clipping on to a heavy gauge chain witha heavy gauge ring.
Place the inner bag hooks closer to the middle.

The length of the chain to the ceiling will determine if the bag moves or not. Carefull if its close, it will be like hitting a wall.

Hanging this is only recommended on heavy duty beam, steel preferred.

Use at your own risk, I assume NO responsibilty of injury.

SifuAbel
07-25-2004, 11:57 AM
A heavy bag in an apartment is not recomended. It will be super noisy. It will shake the floor of your neighbor. Not to mention the repair costs involved later if you move.

IronFist
07-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Yeah I just found out I probably can't have one.

wtf? Why does my gym suck?

Abstract
07-25-2004, 12:32 PM
professional boxers use heavy bags, very very heavy bags

when the everlast factory was closing in the Bronx, Mike Tyson was one of the last ppl to place an order with them. It was for a 300lb bag & some hand wraps & gloves...

it all depends on how hard you punch i guess.

see here: http://www.balazsboxing.com/gear/equipment/bagshvybagpro.htm

just work your way up...personally speaking anything under 125lbs is sort of light for me

SifuAbel
07-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Yeah I just found out I probably can't have one.

wtf? Why does my gym suck?

If, and only if, you live on the ground floor, you can still get a powerline or xxl wavemaster. Another alternative is to work speed.

You can get a cobra flex from rinside. They come in 8' and heavy bag configurations. the "deluxe" is keen.

http://www.ringside.com/store/products_punchingbags.asp?dept=14&pagenumber=3

Look at the next pages too.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-25-2004, 01:54 PM
could always build yourself something like this (http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1799_33699436)

Royal Dragon
07-25-2004, 04:51 PM
I have an 80 pounder, and one that is just short of 500 pounds.

Neither are hung up though :(

SifuAbel
07-25-2004, 08:09 PM
The only thing you'll ever use that monster for is to counter balance an engine install.

cerebus
07-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Or hide behind it in case of a nuclear attack!:D

Well RD no one can ever say you don't have a big sack!:D

Royal Dragon
07-25-2004, 08:32 PM
LOL!!!

Actually, it's too heavy to punc really, but it is great for kicks.

Last time I hung it we broke the chain due to the weight. It took Comealong to get it up.

cerebus
07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, I guess having a big sack doesn't do ya' much good if you can't get it up! :D :D ROFLMAO!!! (Couldn't resist! :D ).

Shaolinlueb
07-25-2004, 08:39 PM
if you plan on hitting like a grandma, then 70lbs is fine. but im not the first to call you a meow*

:D

idk go 160 jsut so you dont have to buy another bag after the 100 one. do it right the first time, f the upgrading to different bags.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-25-2004, 09:26 PM
you guys are all pussies. just hit a concrete wall like i do.

cerebus
07-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Phah! Concrete's too soft! I just use the Pan Qingfu method! Thick iron plates baby! :D :D

IronFist
07-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Yeah, it's not going to be hung. I guess my only option is to get one of those corner hanger things. But how will I explain that to guests when they come over? :)

Stupid gym not having a punching bag.

IronFist
07-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Oh dude you guys, what about something like this (http://store.titleboxing.com/hbhdw.html)? Can that be mounted to studs???

Toby
07-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
But how will I explain that to guests when they come over? :)When people complain in Iron's house, Iron hangs them from the meathooks in the frame :mad: Fear Iron!

IronFist
07-25-2004, 11:11 PM
here (http://www.olympiasports.net/product/index.jsp?productId=1837262)'s another kind. what do you think?

Toby
07-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Well, it's not your house so you don't care. But if I were your neighbours I'd probably be ****ed off at thumping in the frame. If it were my house I'd also be worried about something heavy attached to the frame (wall or roof) that was continually jolting about. I'd prefer a purpose built frame or something cheap to fix, but I have a yard. When/if I get a heavy bag I'll probably weld one myself like all those free-standing ones.

IronFist
07-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Or what about this (http://www.ambersports.com/woodtbeamhea.html)? Would this let you hang one by a ceiling stud?

http://www.ambersports.com/images/I/ambersports_1525_5729190.gif

Easily screws into any Wood beam.

Will handle any size heavybag.

Toby
07-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Are you allowed to drill large holes in walls/ceilings? If not I'd be worried come rent inspection day. What's above your apartment? I'd still go with a heavy-duty welded frame. Make it yourself or get a friend to weld it up. Or talk to a machine shop. Doesn't have to be "nice", just some cheap steel cut to size and stuck together. Paint it up and away you go. Maybe stick some strips of rubber underneath to absorb shock.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-26-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Toby
If it were my house I'd also be worried about something heavy attached to the frame (wall or roof) that was continually jolting about.

well it wasn't my house, but for about 2 and a half years i had a 70lb bag hanging from an x support between two floor boards in the basement. i only had one break and it was a night that i was upset about something going on at work. i just moved it over to the next x support and never had another problem. my point is that if an x support handled the abuse some studs or what not should be fine. a bigger bag might make a difference, but if anything i figure it would be less abuse since it wouldnt jolt around as much as a lighter one.

we should be moving into our new house in the next two weeks, and while i wont get to use it for about a year, my 100lb bag is going to be hung in the garage. the old 70lb one will get hung up somewhere for satan ... he likes to attack it.

David Jamieson
07-26-2004, 06:00 AM
man :rolleyes:

some of the comments I am readin here tell me that few of you have actually got much experience with actually "hitting" anything. lol.

Unless of course you're all super mech robots of incredible strength and I've spent 10 years just working out with 4 year old girls....which I am doubtful of.

I train with guys now that I swear some of them eat nails, and you guys are talking smack according to what I know to be true.

dude, a 70 lb bag is a good bag to train with, heck, a 40 lb bag is ok. use bag gloves though, not so much for your hands as to keep the bag in good shape.

at the very least use wraps.

Shaolinlueb
07-26-2004, 06:16 AM
dude, jsut find a bum on bum fights and practice hitting him. nothing compares to the real thing ;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-26-2004, 05:31 PM
i hear what your saying to a degree kl, but my bag was all over the place when i worked it. and no i wasn't pushing it. at least not most of the time. i didn't really see it as a bad thing as i worked my stepping as well while chasing the bag around.

then again, the x supports the bag was attached to were on a 12 foot cealing so the bag was hanging by around 8 feet of bungie so that might have had something to do with it. with a real chain and setup it wouldnt have been moving nearly as much.

David Jamieson
07-26-2004, 06:42 PM
If your bag is on a swivel and chain it shouldn't move to much...that is if you aren't pushing the bag too much and are folding it instead with your strikes.

It will move a bit at 70, I mean hey, it is seventy pounds, but that is plenty of resistance.

Move around the bag and use a variety of punches, stop the bag from swaying now and again.

Bungee chords add movement. Heavy springs, will not add too much but will deaden sound a little.

In an apartment, a heavy bag will only bring you neighbourly or landlordly grief...

less you can hang it in the sound proof laundry room or sumpin...

Royal Dragon
07-26-2004, 07:51 PM
My 80 pounder is good all around, but I think it would be better full of sand, or the corn like Sifu Abel sugjests. I can't imagine working wiht anything lighter than the 80 though. I had access to a 70 once, and it was ok, but it was still too light. My 80 is a bit on the light side too for that matter. My almost 500 pounder is really to heavy for anything other than high powered side kicks.

A freind has a sand filled bag we guestimated to be around 150. That was about perfect for me. It was a bit on the hard side, so I like to use an Iron hand Jow when I punched it. Russ on the other hand hit it raw and rocked the stuffing out of it. Those Marines grow em strong for sure.