PDA

View Full Version : Gladiator School

YinYangDagger
07-25-2004, 01:35 AM
I know this has come up in the past, but here's a link to learn Gladiator style :D

http://www.gladiatorschool.tv/gladiatorschool.htm

old jong
07-25-2004, 03:35 AM
Are they subjected to the rule of thumb? ;)

GeneChing
07-26-2004, 09:45 AM
...I just read a story on a gladiator school near by the Colesium. It was in one of those airline magazines - I took a flight on Continental last weekend. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of any contact info - I remember that the name was "Scuola" something which I believe is Italian for 'school'. It was a good story too.

David Jamieson
07-26-2004, 10:06 AM
saw a thing on discovery channel about the dude who runs the school in italy.

it is a revival movement. They are exploring the ancient weapons and gladiatorial practices.

looks pretty cool but it looks like it has a lot of potential for heavy duty danger as well. But then, what weapons sparring doesn't have that exciting little element to it? :D

THere seems to be a lot of revivalism of classical martial practices these days. Medeival knights, Gladiators,... it's all good.

cheers

The Willow Sword
07-26-2004, 03:43 PM
http://www.romegiftshop.com/venusvictrix.html

The REN FEST GEEKS ARE COMING THE REN FEST GEEKS ARE COMING THE REN FEST GEEKS ARE COMING,,,,,OUT OF THE WOODWORKS THEY COME.

Ren fest geek 1:"ha HAAAAA i got you,,3 minute time out"

Ren Fest Geek 2: I think not ,,this piece of yellow yarn hanging off my tie dye shirt means i have +3 Armour,,so Nyaaaa:p "

Ren Fest Geek 1: "awww darnit,,,,then im off to go act like a fool in front of that hot chick that i will never sleep with and will have to wank to later in my canvas makeshift hut at the campgrounds"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
07-26-2004, 06:56 PM
actually, these gladiators don't fall into the renfest category so much as they fall in the -wtf...are you crazy with the net and trident or what???" category.

GeneChing
07-27-2004, 09:45 AM
The Italian gladitorial stuff didn't remind me of Renn Faire people (and I used to make western swords, remember? I know Renn Faire people...) It reminded me more of Schlager. Maybe the American version of gladitors is a bit more Renn Faire-like, but I might argue that the European Renn Faires are more interesting - American Renn Faires seem like more of an aberation. America was born after the gun, so we do Civil War re-enactments better, IMO.

FatherDog
07-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword
[url]
Ren Fest Geek 1: "awww darnit,,,,then im off to go act like a fool in front of that hot chick that i will never sleep with

You've clearly never been to a Renfaire. Even red5angel can get laid at one of those places.

GeneChing
07-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Well, that's true, assuming you don't mind waking up next to a huge dirty sow of a wench. Or maybe a lad. :eek: But then again, renn fairer and beggars can't be choosers. :p

David Jamieson
07-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Well, that's true, assuming you don't mind waking up next to a huge dirty sow of a wench. Or maybe a lad.

Oh man, memories of the prom.... good times. :D

Volcano Admim
07-29-2004, 09:39 AM
let the kids put on funny clothes and play if they wanna play
as long as they realise what they are doing is kinda funny for most of us

Shaolinlueb
07-29-2004, 09:44 AM
that looks too violent. ill jsut be the guy in purple robes that points his thumb up or down :D

Chang Style Novice
07-29-2004, 09:47 AM
If you think you're safer in the Emperor's box than in the arena, you don't know much about Roman History.

That I've been watching "I, Claudius" on DVD for a week is probably just a coincidence. And yes, I know it's lousy history. But still, the real thing isn't much less treacherous and grisly.

Shaolinlueb
07-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
If you think you're safer in the Emperor's box than in the arena, you don't know much about Roman History.

That I've been watching "I, Claudius" on DVD for a week is probably just a coincidence. And yes, I know it's lousy history. But still, the real thing isn't much less treacherous and grisly.

hey as long as im sitting on mu butt getting fed grapes by hot b*tches and drinking wine and water from led pipes im alls et. :D