PDA

View Full Version : salt and sweat

stubbs
07-25-2004, 05:51 AM
how much salt am i loosing after about an hour/hour and a half of fairly intense kung fu? should you replace the salt after your workout or take a little more just before?

its something i've always neglected but i think i'll start paying attention to it. im going to start making my own sports type drinks. if i had 50/50 water and fruit juice with a little salt does that mean its an isotonic sports drink? i read a 'make your own' type article some time ago but can't remember it exactly.
________
Legal marijuana dispensary (http://dispensaries.org/)

FooFighter
07-25-2004, 08:06 AM
Stubb:

Dont get things so complex that it will confuse yourself and your goals. A simple and practical solution is simply prevention. I would simply make sure that I drink a gallon of water a day throughout
the day if I was that active as you are now. Like wrote before, supplements should evolve around a sound and healthy diet and lifestyle and never should our diet and lifestyle be centered around supplementation.

If you are not drinking a gallon of water a day, then why mess with supplements? For example, if you are not at least eating three servings of high quality lean meat, then why go nutts over protein powder supplements. Personally this is not a personal attack on you or your choice of supplementation, it is only my personalized point of view.

I drink half a gallon of water usually because I gave up soft drinks, except diet sodas on the weekends or when I eat out in restaurants with my dates. I do 30 min cardio work four times a week, usually interval training on the treadmill or bike. I drink only a Nitro tech whey drink right after my cardio practice and then a bottle of water when I leave the gym. This works for me which might work for you?

stubbs
07-25-2004, 11:10 AM
errr ok, but what about the salt? im drinking plenty and i always drink about 1.5 litres over the 1.5-2 hour workout but i wondered how much salt we loose through sweating. i know when you dehydrate there's a lot of salt in those emergency rehydration packs.
________
Bong (http://glassbongs.org/)

IronFist
07-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by FooFighter
I drink only a Nitro tech whey drink right after my cardio practice and then a bottle of water when I leave the gym. This works for me which might work for you?

Do you find that it is 859174.5829375% better than regular whey?

:D

Toby
07-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by FooFighter
For example, if you are not at least eating three servings of high quality lean meat, then why go nutts over protein powder supplements.Because high quality lean meat is way more expensive for the protein content than protein powder? And because meat contains saturated fat? I love meat, especially lean meat, but here in Oz it's getting god**** expensive and we've got a ****load of cows. I would think NYC would be even worse pricewise. Powder is the cheapest form of protein for me, by a long shot. I'd much rather sit down to a nice 1lb steak 4 times a day, but that's big dollars.

stubbs
07-26-2004, 11:35 AM
...plus its easier and quicker to digest. even though protein powders still pretty expensive over here, its still cheaper than any kind of meat. i think tuna's the next cheapest big protein source but i don't want to have too much of that.

so...does anyone know how much salt you need to replace after a workout?
________
Teen Amateur (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1016/amateur/videos/1)

Ford Prefect
07-26-2004, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless you start feeling run down. Then just get some electrolyte supplement or pick up a gatorade...

stubbs
07-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I wouldn't worry about it unless you start feeling run down. Then just get some electrolyte supplement or pick up a gatorade...

thats what got me thinking because i have been feeling a little run down. i've been doing a hell of alot of cardio recently and my diets ok so i thought maybe salt/mineral loss during all the cardio loss might explain it.
________
Oxygen Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/oxygen-vaporizer.html)

Ford Prefect
07-26-2004, 03:56 PM
That it could. A gatorade and a banana post workout may do you well.