PDA

View Full Version : Randy Williams Videos R they any good?

r4cy
07-25-2004, 09:12 PM
I started studying Wing Chun and I finished my SLT level, but unfortunately I couldn't continue my training for personal reasons.I want to learn more about the system, and looking at different videos I found that the ones that were made by Randy Williams are the more complete and detailed. Does anybody have any feedback about them? Or anyone can recomend something. I want to learn the complete system. Any comments will be apreciated.

Nick Forrer
07-26-2004, 04:33 AM
If you want to learn the complete system then there really is no alternative but to find a good teacher. Of course you could, if you really wanted, learn all the forms/techniques from videos but your knowledge would be shallow to the point of being worthless.

My teacher has two good seminar vids on SLT and CK if you're interested in WSL wing chun. On Randy Williams videos- I haven't seen them so cant comment but folks who have and are in the know arent very complimentary

The videos can be found here (http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk)

t_niehoff
07-26-2004, 06:12 AM
r4cy wrote:

I started studying Wing Chun and I finished my SLT level,

**A person never finishes the "SNT level", and in fact, there is no such thing as "SNT level" -- the forms don't correspond to levels or grades.

but unfortunately I couldn't continue my training for personal reasons.I want to learn more about the system, and looking at different videos I found that the ones that were made by Randy Williams are the more complete and detailed. Does anybody have any feedback about them?

**It depends on what you are looking for. If all you want is some visual reference of the choreography of the linked sets or some drills, Randy's or just about anyone else's videos are fine. If you want to gain an understanding of the substance that the forms convey, you'll not get it from videos. In that sense, all WCK videos are crap. Would you want to purchase and study a BJJ or boxing video from someone who has never demonstrated that they could use what they are teaching (who has never rolled or boxed against highly skilled opponents)? And, there is really only one way to "get" the substance of the forms -- by *genuine* application. This is what many WCK people don't seem to understand: You don't learn to fight from the forms, you learn the forms (their substance) from fighting.

Or anyone can recomend something. I want to learn the complete system. Any comments will be apreciated.

**In the fighting arts, it is what you can do, not what you think you "know" (you don't really *know* unless you can do it). If you think the "complete system" will serve you when you can't punch your way out of a paper bag, then you are greatly mistaken. Take what you have and develop it to the Nth degree. Begin with step one: the punch from YJKYM -- develop it to the point where you can have a larger person run at you from across the room holding an airshield on his chest and your punch (while standing stationary in YJKYM; no hip rotation, no stepping) will not only stop him, but knock him backwards. Then you'll be ready for step two. Why worry about the last step if you haven't taken the first?

Regards,

Terence

stuartm
07-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Hi,

Videos can be quite good as a training aid, but if they are your primary learning tool then they are pretty useless.

Ive got Sifu Clve Potters tape on SLT and found it quite useful and all the basic information on it seems sound. Alan Gibsons tape 'Wing Chun: In a class of its own' is also good on the basics.

I did see a couple of Randys videos years ago and can remember them being quite lighthearted - as for the detail I cant recall.

Hey Nick - has clive got the Chum Kiu one on VHS, id be interested in getting hold of it. Always good to see other interpretations, really drives the learning process.

Regards, Stu

Nick Forrer
07-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi Stu

Glad you liked the SLT seminar:)

Im not certain but i cant see why clive wouldnt be able to do you a vhs copy of the CK seminar if you email him

Its just easier to make DVD copies as Im sure you know

Haven't seen Alans vid but I might check it out seeing how I started WC with Alan around 6 years ago when I was at UNI

edward
07-26-2004, 07:41 PM
save your money, there's better stuff to invest in

r4cy
07-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Well thanks for your replies and advices. But now, as you se, i deeply understand that theres is no leves. I jus tried to make a point to let you guys understand that I have my certification. Obviously I know that SLT training never ends nor the other forms.I still practice and have the same point of you guys. I live in Puerto Rico and just in case I didn't mentioned it, tehre are no other schools of wing chun here, only the one I belonged to and I cant go back there. I sincerely need to find help. Eventhough I know that videos will never be the same as having a teacher, I still want to learn and to get the most close to the system with the resources I have at hand wich are none, only books and videos, that'w why I'm asking for help and recomendations of videos that can help me grasp the concepts the best I can.Please get in my shoes. Imagine you dont have a teacher, and there is no other one were you live but you still want to learn, what would you do? That's the question to be answered. Thank guys.

Oh if soomeone can get me a copy of those seminars i would apreciate it.

YongChun
07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
If I was in your shoes then I would throw money at the problem by buying every video and book I could get my hands on. Then I would open a small Wing Chun class at some rec centre, church basement or someone's garage just to get some people to train and practice with and to share ideas with. Then I would try to go to some seminars and later to invite some experts over to where I am assuming that I have generated enough interest. If all else failed I would try to take whatever art was available to me in the city where I lived. That's the approach I took. Eventually I was able to find teachers here and there. I found the saying "Seek and you will find" to be very true. It's strange how sometimes experts will pop into your life when you need them. I used to have more than $10,000 worth of tapes and books but later gave most of that away to former students because I no longer felt that stuff was of much use. I think you can learn a lot of stuff from tapes and that it's too much of a generalization to say you can't learn from tapes and books. The main thing is to practice the stuff on the tapes with other people especially people that know something. Not everyone has the luxury to learn from a big (undefeated) master who is also an excellent coach and only has you for a private student.

r4cy
07-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Well said Yong Chun, I understand that your comments are of much value. What you said is exactly what I had in mind. So I know now that I am not crazy for thinking of it hehe.That's exactly what I am going to do. Now if you can help me with thisd I also be thankful for it. I started two handed chi sao but just at the begginers level. Do you know any tapes that could teach good fundamentals for chi sao. Step by step? I happen to be very systematic ebing a teacher myself. I like things to go progresively. That's it for now. Thanks

russellsherry
07-28-2004, 06:36 PM
hi ra4y , randys my sifu , so i am biased, but his sillin tau video is very good , a little different from the hk way of doing thinkgs. also i would recomened, his basics tape as well , try also the golden ribbion boxers tapes buy fong sifu quite good as well . peace russellsherry buythe way randy gave me my tapes for free as well as my wallbag i was very pleased about that peace russellsherry