PDA

View Full Version : JKD Questions from a newbie

AdrianUK
07-26-2004, 12:33 AM
Hi All

I am thinking of stepping in to the JKD world from Wing Chun, this may seem like a stupid question but is/should JKD be Wing Chun based ? A lot of the promo shots I see from JKD schools show boxing style stances, is there a strong Wing Chun influence in modern JKD ?

Thanks
Adrian

yenhoi
07-26-2004, 05:11 AM
Depends on the teacher. Most JKD instructors have very little to do with Wing Chun.

So... no and no.

:D

AdrianUK
07-26-2004, 07:28 AM
Thanks Yenhoi

I wondered having seem shots of JKD Dummy sets and the trapping, if there not WC are they from Kali ?

Regards,
Adrian

yenhoi
07-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Well some JKD guys are also WCK guys so what they teach will have a WCK spin on it. Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto and others since them have created many many different "JKD" "Dummy sets."

Some JKD instructors have a heavy WCK influence, others have none, and some of the rest fall in the middle... having only second or third hand wing chun expierence.

My teacher trained Wing Chun, Boxing,Muay Thai, American Kempo, and Knife (Leo Gaje's system) and other systes before he ever met Dan Inosanto and others and became a "JKD" guy. His teaching reflects his exp.

Depends entirely on the actual individual instructor. Even Instructors under the same teacher will have wildly different emphasis in their training.

;)

yenhoi
07-26-2004, 09:08 AM
I havent seen anything that really matches with dummy training from kali. Tire training comes close (hitting tires with sticks and knives) and Ive seen some systems that have elaborate stick dummys, noothing like wing chun really. Nearly all of Kali stuff will be in sensitivity drills and training in the "laboratory" aka "alive" training.

:eek:

AdrianUK
07-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks !

Shaolinlueb
07-27-2004, 12:25 PM
according from a very reliable and intelligent source. if you look at Jeet Kun Do, you will see a lot of fencing techniques.