PDA

View Full Version : a friendly challenge to shanghai

daohong
07-26-2004, 08:07 AM
greetings,

There has been a great deal of discussion lately about the clips posted on this forum. Our friends in shanghai have offered some very helpful , and at times harsh, criticisms regarding those same clips. AS a result there has been a little sarcasm exchanged as well as caustic requests for clips from shanghai. I would like to make a solution available. My teacher in the United states would like to arrange the News media In Tainan, Taiwan to cover a friendly , challenge exchange between Master Kai Uwe Pel of Shanghai and himself. Master John Scolaro , who is often out of the USA , and therefore rarely posts, has made it clear to me that because he is making the request, he will travel to taiwan again next month (this way both teacher can compromise in the distance they travel for this event) and would like to arrange for Master Kai to make the short trip down to Taiwan at that time for a friendly exchange. In Taiwan, there is no issue of liability, and a friendly challenge is welcome. In addition, Students may come and pair up with other students from taiwan ,as hopefully will be the case with Mr. Kai Uwe Pel and Mr. Scolaro. Because this is a good opportunity to learn , Mr. Scolaro is very serious about the meeting as well as having it recorded. This challenge should not be devisive, but a good chance to see two master use mantis gongfu in a fighting situation. In addition, There will be no rules except for the exlusion of weapons. NO weapons will be allowed, but other facets of mantis will be allowed, including chokes, groin hits, etc. Please Thoughtfully consider this offer; we would be very happy to have this take place as it would be a good opportunity for everyone who posts here. The fight could be posted on this forum if all are willing.

Hua Lin Laoshi
07-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Maybe, if it happens, it could be the start of a yearly Mantis event where practitioners from around the world can gather to test their skills in a friendly manor and exchange ideas and knowledge with others. Like a real tournament.

Good luck to all parties involved.

bung bo
07-26-2004, 11:22 AM
good idea. i would like to see this happen. i want to see the shanghai guys' stuff.

daohong
07-26-2004, 11:38 AM
yes, John Scolaro was thinking along those lines also... maybe a yearly event to engage each other and try our skills. It sounds like an interesting option, don't you think? It is exciting, and maybe it is time for such a thing... it could bring unity at that.

daohong
07-26-2004, 11:50 AM
PLEASE NOTE:

It seems that since I posted this in a public forum, I should be willing to explain the arrangments to everyone publicly. I have been given a PM by a student of Master Kai Uwe Pel (as well as other people who do not appreciate him ). He informed me that anyone is invited to come to their Shanghai school and challenge master Kai. We are thankful for that invitation. However, since their school is so far from Master Scolaro's home he has offered to meet in Taiwan. IT seems that this is still a problem for Master Kai and his students, however I was notified that we may contact Master Kai if we are insistent about arranging this challenge. For this reason I want to note on this forum that

MASTER SCOLARO IS MAKING THE OPEN OFFER TO BUY MASTER KAI A ROUND-TRIP AIRLINE TICKET FROM CHINA TO TAIWAN TO CHINA.
... of course, there are no direct flights and flight must be through HK. This is all in order to help make such an event possible for all those who practice mantis gongfu.

Furthermore, in a PM one of Master Kai's students has made it clear that such a challenge will be the kind that would include police and hospitals were it conducted in the united states. Master Scolaro is aware of this and finds it all the more reason to be willing to provide airfare for Master Kai to accept. This is a wonderful opportunity in the modern world were traditional gongfu seems to be fading.

I ask that everyone please note that this is not a public criticism or show of animosity. It is understood that Master Kai as well as his students are diligent practicioners of Mantis gongfu and they deserve respect. We are thankful for the chance to make such a public challenge that could turn into a companionship. We will contact Master Kai uwe Pel privately, but the above information should be made public along. Thanks...

Hua Lin Laoshi
07-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Fair enough. In the defense of the Shanghai school it's up to the challenger to meet with the challenged and Taiwan is not exactly neutral territory (since Pong lai is based there).

Maybe a few deep pockets out there would like to chip in for the extra mileage.

There has been talk in the past about a yearly Mantis event. Would be nice to see it happen.

sayloc
07-26-2004, 01:49 PM
How could something short of a fight to the death bring unity?

How could these type of matches with mantis against mantis do anything for the mantis style?

I think the mantis guys shoud get together and find the right mantis guy to represent them in the k1 or ultimate style matches. That Would be great for the mantis styles.

That is great if these guys want to settle their dispute once and for all. It will be a joy to watch.

Looks like the shaghai kid may have gotten his teacher in some deep stuff though.

Metal Mantis
07-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Man, I wish that I did not have to leave Tainan in the next week. Sounds like I may miss some fun. It will be interesting none the less to see if and how this developes.

Hope all are well, I've got to catch trains and planes.........

Laviathan
07-27-2004, 02:01 AM
Although I sincerely believe that the reasons for Master Scolaro and Daohong to arrange this match are to promote mutual understanding and exchange of knowledge between Mantis schools, I personally do not think it is a good thing to do. Challenges and fights will only create more animosity and rivalry... it is certainly not beneficial to the martial arts community in the long-run.

There's a Chinese saying: "In the literary arts there's no Number One, in the martial arts there's no Number Two." So if there are any personal issues or school rivalry, you can settle it by fighting. No problem.

But if exchange of knowledge and unity are your goals, then challenging someone is definitely not a good idea.

I would like to see a Yearly Mantis Tournament being organised, but this is not the way to do it.

BeiTangLang
07-27-2004, 03:56 AM
I gave both parties their opportunities. Now it up to them personaly. All we will be getting is another thread in a few months with results or lack of.

Closed.