PDA

View Full Version : Naval vs. Tan Tien

brody
07-26-2004, 09:03 AM
I had learned a Gung Fu form from my Sifu a while ago, but due a language barrier he could only physically show me (and not explain in english) that the palm of my hand should be lined up with my Naval (Belly Button) when pushing away. Does anyone know the significance of the Naval in TCM? I know that the Tan Tien is just below it, but does the Naval serve a purpose in developing Chi?

woliveri
07-26-2004, 02:33 PM
In Qi Gong, the navel is a reference point for finding Ming Men on the back. Ming Men should be located directly behind the navel on the back.

This guy was either giving you a reference point for the dan tien because of his limited english or perhaps he determined that the navel was the center of gravity. Not sure but

1. The navel has no function in basic Qi Gong as far as I know in developing or Storing Qi. In higher levels there may be some value.

2. If you are meaning to say he wanted your hands that low when pushing away, I think that's a bit low to have your hands unless I'm not understanding you correctly.

brody
07-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Woliveri,

Thanks for the reply. So the Navel may not have any significance in Qi Gong, but do you know if it has significance in TCM? How about in Buddist or Taoist thought?

woliveri
07-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Ok, you're making me get out my books :D which is ok. Good for me too.

The navel is CV-8 Shen Que (Spirit Tower Gate).

The spirit enters and leaves through CV-8, the spirit gate. The navel is said to be the residence of Supreme Unity (tai yi), the source of life. For this reason, this point name could be rendered as Spirit Palace.

Originally, the name of CV-8 was Qi Abode, which may have been choosen on the basis of the statement in the Taoist Storehouse that "the qi of later heaven (i.e. postnatal qi) resides in the navel".

This point is contraindicated for acupuncture but moxibustion can be applied.

Functions: Warms the frees the original yang; opens the portals and restores consciousness; moves gastrointestinal qi; transforms cold damp accumulating stagnations.

I was not able to find anything on the web relating this point to Taoist or Buddhist thought. You can fire up your search engine and give it a try.

HTH,

idoesnotexist
07-30-2004, 08:40 AM
I would like to point out that the Navel is extremely significant in the Chakra system, which overlaps the DanTien Area. The Chakra system is most important to Indian and Chinese Buddhist alike. They are different energy Subsystems that have different functions. The Navel is an access to the cental channel more frequently used by the Tibetans and in India. It is a large energy center that encompasses tha dan tien. In Mantak Chia's first book on Daoist Meditation, focus is on the navel and not the Dan Tien area. Food for thought.

Pakmei
08-02-2004, 04:35 AM
From a TCM point of view, CV8 is also deemed that the foetus receives both the pre-heaven and post heavenly qi, due to the direct connection of the umbillical cord to the Mother.

In Tui Na, CV8 it is looked at as one of the major gateways for expelling pathogens (using the empty cupping method) that affects the abdominal and gynae regions.

Just another thought on the matter!

Tracy Lin
08-20-2004, 11:18 AM
If a train leaves your navel moving south at 20mph and an another train leaves your dan tien moving north at 30 mph will it effect my bellie button ring?

Tracy

GeneChing
08-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Now that's gotta mess with your qi and chakras. I remember one of my friends with a nose piercing complained about when her nose was runny.

Tracy Lin, not to get too personal, but do you ever poke your finger around in your navel? You can feel it trigger all sorts of sympathic nerve sensations in your abdomen. Did the belly ring piercing affect any of that?

woliveri
08-20-2004, 06:28 PM
I would wonder how she handled sucking all the juice out of that snake (see sig)

:D :D :D :D

GeneChing
08-23-2004, 10:00 AM
As long as Tracy doesn't have lip piercings. We wouldn't want that juice to spurt out. :eek:

Tak
08-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Tracy gets my nomination for most original first post.

GeneChing
08-23-2004, 02:49 PM
We been getting some women on the board here, but we've been scaring them off, so let's try and be civil and keep this one, guys. Look what happened with Tammy Lee (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=31650&perpage=15&pagenumber=7).

I don't want to see any more Shaolinlueb-like transvestitism, even if it's just digital. :mad:

Tracy Lin
08-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Well thanks for the complement.

Scare me off, you guys would have to try real hard for that. I have brothers.:p

Tracy