PDA

View Full Version : Monkey vs Bjj/Japanese based ground fighting

Hermes3X
07-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Any monkey boxers out there? How do you think monkey would fare against these grappler fellas all the rage now?

h3x

wiz cool c
07-27-2004, 09:58 AM
I saw a monkey style sifu get pinned and was unable to get out by a student of his who had wrestling experence.

Hermes3X
07-27-2004, 01:46 PM
really? it would seem that a monkey would be a good fighter on the ground, at least as I understand it. What exactly happened? How did the sifu react?

SevenStar
07-27-2004, 06:14 PM
I could be mistaken, but I don't think monkey is a ground grappling system. It's got plenty of striking and kicking from the ground, but that's not the same. On the ground, a grappler would probably maul a monkey stylist.

Starchaser107
07-28-2004, 02:43 PM
what system of monkey kung fu?

i suppose it all depends.
if the monkey stylist trains forms all day and no fighting he's gonna get his ass beat.

it doesn't matter if its monkey or wing chun or bagua or seido or hapkido, there's enough information out there to train to fight against submission guys.

but i suppose one should not go into it blindly, this would be a bad choice.

wiz cool c
07-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Hermes3X
really? it would seem that a monkey would be a good fighter on the ground, at least as I understand it. What exactly happened? How did the sifu react?

It was in the self defence class and they had the mat out and for whatever reason the guy who had wrestled was on all fours. The sifu was doing some rolling type stuff over his back showing off the monkey style ground stuff and the wrestler pined the sifu. He tryed a couple of times to get out and couldn't so he taped his back to let him know to ok you got it. This was before the Gracie,s where well known.

Apostol
07-29-2004, 08:20 PM
In the street, a monkey practitioner would just bite them if they went to the ground.

SevenStar
07-30-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Apostol
In the street, a monkey practitioner would just bite them if they went to the ground.

:rolleyes:

SevenStar
07-30-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107

it doesn't matter if its monkey or wing chun or bagua or seido or hapkido, there's enough information out there to train to fight against submission guys.

that's true, but info alone isn't really enough - If you want to fight a grappler, you can look up some takedown defenses, basic guard passes, simple attacks from guard and sweeps. But, unless you are training them against someone with experience in grappling, then you really aren't training against the techniques the way that a grappler does them. If I fight san shou, my muay thai training helps, but can't fully cover everything, as you can't throw in muay thai. It would behoove me to do some training with san shou guys.

but i suppose one should not go into it blindly, this would be a bad choice.

indeed.

LittleTiger
08-03-2004, 01:38 PM
I only know the monkey moves I learned in hung gar and none of them is meant to fight on the ground in jjb or wrestling style or any competition imo.
Monkey in hung gar is a small and fragile tree hugging animal, fast and nimble that avoids all direct contact with dirty tricks.

Monkey taught this way is made for street fight and aggressions outdoors. Monkey spirit is basically to act like a coward in front of the opponent to take him off guard and hit when he doesn't expect it anymore (mostly coconuts grabbing aka smash the balls while you fall on the ground your hands over your head yelling "please don't hurt me").
I strongly believe that without the monkey vice, it's close to impossible to do any of the moves efficiently. Monkey is a fight opener for me but surely not a finisher nor a mid-fight style.

Hermes3X
08-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Little Tiger can you tell me More about monkey In your hung gar system? who are you training under? What's the lineage? I'm very curious as I am a hung gar man myself and the little bit of monkey I know also comes from our hung gar curriculum where it is used treacherously as well

pest
08-03-2004, 06:52 PM
I would like to know more about monkey aswell, if you feel more comfortible send me a PM but here is fine too :D

~Pest

Vash
08-03-2004, 07:38 PM
I prefer doggystyle. :eek:

Starchaser107
08-04-2004, 12:22 PM
giving or recieving?

Dark Knight
08-13-2004, 08:18 AM
I know there are a few resources for monkey out there, but check Sifu John Allen at Green Dragon. He advertises in KF Magazine. He has a nice tape with techniques on monkey.

As far as Monkey vs BJJ or any style vs BJJ........

Situations and fighters will make a difference.

The gracies win for two reasons, training and the fighter.

Let a monkey guy bite poke or whatever and he will not change a fight against a grappler. If he couldn’t beat him without biting, he wont with it. The grapplers take that into consideration, and remember breaking an arm takes a second.

If a monkey guy trained full contact and with resisting partners, then he will increase his chances. If he knows the techniques the grappler uses he can develop counters.

I have met guys who fool themselves and students by mimicking a move and developing a counter. Don’t do it that way, find a grappler and learn the techniques so you know how to counter a proper one.

Keep in mind that there is no ultimate style that works for everyone. Not everyone can grapple effectivly, thats why you see many different styles, they were developed based on what worked for the origionator.

Today in NHB we see that BJJ is not dominating anymore, now you have to cross train and have skills in other areas. But for the majority of us, fighting in the street means we must work on our strengths.

Unless you are going to UFC, dont worry about it, train hard and realistically.