PDA

View Full Version : Jet Li trained in Shaolin?

Brad
07-27-2004, 07:03 AM
I say no, BL says yes telling me to read Gene Ching's article in 2003 Shaolin special as proof(I don't see it though). Got any details on this Gene?

Shaolinlueb
07-27-2004, 08:37 AM
I just read his site and all he talks about is Wushu. Even when he did the movie "Shaolin Temple" he did wushu. Sure he might respect Shaolin and everything, but I doubt he trained at it. The monks at the temple are not A level atheletes like he is. And back then there wasnt a real shaolin curriculum because the temple laid in ruins for so many years. From what I read the Songshan forms had to be researched to be brought back. The highest they are are probably B. If you want to look pretty you dont go to a shaolin school, you go to wushu, if you want to learn about chi, energy and application you got to a shaolin school. If there is a good monk at the temple often he'll be pulled out of the temple to develop his skill by a professional wushu team.

So you say, he learned shaolin forms. I learned shaolin forms, does that mean I trained at the temple or with a monk? :D At his caliber it wouldnt be hard for him to learn a songshan form. Master Hu Jianqing (played along jet li in shaolin temple, shaolin kids, and shaolin north andd south.) Was asked back to the temple to train some of the monks after the movie. Maybe Jet li was done the same.

thats my input
/end being serious

Brad
07-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Well, I know Jet Li trained traditional(with teachers hired by the Beijing team though... like Ma Xian Da). But the temple was in a pretty poor state when he was there, and none of the monks there seemed to know kungfu(acording to what Jet said on his website).

He came back a few years latter though(to film another movie)... maybe he learned a form or something from someone in the area while he was there? I didn't see anything like that in the article though. I was kind of speed reading, so maybe I missed something? :confused:

I know his skill certainly didn't come from at the Shaolin Temple(unless he's a time traveller), so I think it would be pretty misleading if someone wrote that he was "trained at Shaolin"(like some of the B.S. documentaries I have :p).

mickey
07-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Greetings,

Jet Li was a member of the Beijing Wushu Team. I remember seeing in a documentary that he had a fondness for Fanzi boxing. I suspect that he learned that from Ma XianDa.

When Jet Li was learning the Shaolin Temple was not active.

mickey

Shaolin Dude
07-27-2004, 09:46 PM
there are wushu fanziquan. heck, there's almost everything

Brad
07-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Jet's Fanzi Quan was learned from Ma Xianda, a traditional Fanzi Quan master though. Jet Li says that he learned the techniques in a more traditional manner first, unlike his Chang Quan. The sport wasn't as specialized and developed like it is now, so they learned a heck of a lot more back then. And yes, everything is wushu :D

Anyway, I read through the magazine, and Gene doesn't seem to be spreading rumors :D BL probably just got a couple articles confused and mixed up :)

GeneChing
07-28-2004, 10:44 AM
There might have been some sort of martial arts exchange between Jet and the locals when he was fiilming, but then Jet claims that there was no one there at the temple when they were filming, despite the fact that you can find some monks and former monks who worked on Shaolin Temple (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd40021.html). Clearly, you can see that Yu Hai's mantis form (http://store.martialartsmart.net/vidtradpraym.html) was left at Shaolin, probably during the filming of the second movie since it is showcased in that one. Many Shaolin practictioners still demo that mantis form. But I wouldn't say that Jet trained at Shaolin. You can't beleive everything BL says about me, as much as I wish you could...;)

Starchaser107
07-28-2004, 11:01 AM
own3d