PDA

View Full Version : mantis in shanghai

daohong
07-27-2004, 02:40 PM
there is nothing shameless about putting the information on the thread for everyone to read . The problem that Shanghai kid does not understand is that we are not attmepted to have a traditional "ti guan" whereby the loser closes his school. It seems that this is the only acceptable form of a challenge for our friends in shanghai. Is this right, they will only accept a traditional challenge whereby the challenger goes to their school in shanghai and afterwards the loser ceases teaching? I have been discussing this with Master Scolaro, and he has said that if they refuse after all the politeness and offer of airfare, and insist that we go to Shanghai, we may need to arrange it. However, that is less friendly than we originally intended , although not something that has never been done.

additionally, why is it necessary to close this thread? There has been a great deal of writing by our friends in shanghai in criticism of posters here. It is important to notice what happens when someone reaches out and gives them more than an opportunity to to show us what they are talking about.

Yan Qing
07-27-2004, 09:32 PM
So finally its time for Master Pel to put up or shut up.....lets see what he is going to choose:D

Peace

yu shan
07-27-2004, 09:36 PM
It might be better not to use "challenge" it seems Bei Tang Lang has a problem with this. And this mod has a recent history of pulling the plug on threads that to me and many others are perfectly OK. So keep those baby gloves on gentlemen... or else!:rolleyes:

cerebus
07-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Perhaps the term should be "friendly crossing of hands" or just "sparring match"?

Personally I don't see why master Pel would insist on any match being an angry, kill or be killed streetfight. Just use standard Southeast Asian full-contact rules, light gloves, cups & mouthpieces.

No reason this has to engender bad feeling unless the people involved have very fragile egos.

BeiTangLang
07-28-2004, 04:19 AM
YS, just trying to keep the trolling down;..Like Oh,..."So finally its time for Master Pel to put up or shut up.....lets see what he is going to choose".

Daohong seems to think everyone needs to be updated on "He-said/She-said" so to speak of this "friendly challenge" when its really no ones buisness except Sifus scarloto & pell.

Speaking to the "additionally, why is it necessary to close this thread? There has been a great deal of writing by our friends in shanghai in criticism of posters here. It is important to notice what happens when someone reaches out and gives them more than an opportunity to to show us what they are talking about."

Because they were mantis discussions about mantis; not a verbal challenge between 2 men that may or may not take place. up untill a confrontation, everything is just lip-service.
After the video is done(if it is); we will have much mantis to talk about.

Clear as mud?? :)

BTW,..this thread is still open.

18elders
07-28-2004, 05:10 AM
my shrfu and also tainan mantis have had friendly challanges in taiwan as they would train in the park and many people would come to test their skills. It can be done as a friendly crossing of hands if that is what the shanghai group would like.

tanglang69
07-28-2004, 08:07 AM
My 2 cents worth,

I usually don't post a lot. I like to sit back, read, and absorb the knowledge that a lot of you post. Why do the Shanghai personnel seem to post criticisms publicly; but then when they are criticized they want you to do everything PM or direct email? Just a question.

"Pero que ladra, no muerde." In English, "A dog that barks a lot, has no bite."

Come on guys. If you are going to do stuff on a public forum, then do it all on the forum.

Master Pel has put a lot of great information on the forum, awesome. And so have others.

Well, I have got to get back to work.

See ya'll later.

Tanglang69:D

tanglang69
07-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Ah dang,

I mispelled dog in spanish, it's "perro". By the way yu shan, xiao tang lang, and the rest of you pong lai crew, can't wait til september rolls around. I feel like a kid on christmas, can't wait to open the presents.

oved

Hungfutkune
07-30-2004, 07:36 AM
I agree with BTL in closing the Shanghai challenge thread. We are not in old days where challenges are needed. And I also find it quit disappointing when challenges are issued in person or on a forum. Especially between Sifu's. When I read the challenge thread, it really didn't come across as a friendly challenge. It almost seemed as there was some hidden agenda or personal grudge going on.

Also not to come to Master Pel's rescue (because assure me he doesn't need it), but his critiques have always been informative and educational. If someone is to take offense to suggestions made after they post a video on this forum they should question why they are putting it on in the first place. Is it to grow as a martial artist or is it ego driven to hear only good praise? I say post at your own risk. If your up to criticism then do so, if not keep the video for your private collection, and watch it yourself, you might learn something.

We all have the same goal, to learn Kung Fu and better ourselves as people through the world of Martial Arts. If we really want to learn from each other, I encourage people to visit other sifu's and watch and share ideas. There is not one perfect style or perfect Martial Artist.

Shaolinlueb
07-30-2004, 09:23 AM
oooooh arguements on the intronet that involves saving face. this can get good

[grabs popcorn, sits back and watches]

SaMantis
07-30-2004, 10:03 AM
dude, gimme some of that popcorn.

:D

MantisZombie
08-18-2004, 10:19 AM
What happend to the challenge?

Did Pell take it or not?

If not, why not? Seems this would be a fantastic way to shut others up and/or down; If you have the right stuff........