PDA

View Full Version : Front stance and turning

northstar
07-03-2001, 07:51 AM
I'm having some trouble reconciling my WC basics with the front stance. When I'm in the YJKYM I don't have any problems with turning or circle stepping, eg with a taan sau, but I find it difficult to secure my center line when in the front stance. Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions how to overcome it?

Armin
07-03-2001, 08:55 AM
Hi Northstar!

Somehow I don't get the problem. Hm. Do you mean: When standing in front of the partner with the forward stance (not in hitting distance) and he comes forward you get problems with shifting???

If this is the problem, I got a very easy solution for you. Don't do it! Use the forward stance when you are in, say, hands-distance (ok, I know, there's no real distance-distinction; just to make it easier to explain). In the forward-stance, e. g. right leg in front, you are able to turn your hipp about 40° to the right and more than 90° to the left. In hand- and ellbow-distance this would be more than enough to get out of the way. If you need more, just use the zi-zag-step (hope you use the same name - it's a step "around the corner") or use the small step of the 2nd form.

Hope this helps,

Armin.

kungfu cowboy
07-03-2001, 09:23 AM
Northstar, how is your weight distributed when in this stance?

E Pluribus Rectum

northstar
07-03-2001, 04:17 PM
Kungfu Cowboy - my weight is in the back leg, 70% or so.

Armin - yup that's what I mean. My problem is that when in the front stance you can turn your hips, but actually getting laterally out of the way in the way you can when shifting right or left in YJKYM. Of course there's the step, but this is slower.