PDA

View Full Version : Fighting experience.

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
07-28-2004, 07:36 AM
Persuant to several of the current threads, how many people on here have actually been in a fight since beginning their WC training? Could be a self defense situation, bar fight, thwarted mugging, anything bareknuckle that wasn't a controlled situation where you knew you got to walk away at the end regardless of how you did. The poll is set so that you can select all options that apply.

PaulH
07-28-2004, 08:46 AM
If fighting means putting my body in harm ways, then yes! I admit that it is harder to fight to get out of bed everyday though! Most of the time I'm just happy and content to sit back and learn from GM Anerlich do his boxing form on the forum! =)

AmanuJRY
07-28-2004, 11:37 AM
I have been able to be rational and not escalate several situations that would have ended in a brawl, does verbal defence count?:D

Since I started training, there has not once been a situation that would escalate itself beyond words, nor have I been mugged, or attacked in any way.

But I do prepare myself, everyday for the possibility of it happening.

anerlich
07-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Hey Paul, what's GM stand for?

Green Monster? Better that than the obvious alternative ...

PaulH
07-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Since there is no green monster in Australia, would Godzilla Monstrous be fine with you in view of the frequently dramatic, horrorfic, and catastrophic scales of your monstrocity's handyworks? I enjoy your last motion picture! =)

anerlich
07-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Paul, I would be honoured.

Miles Teg
07-29-2004, 06:42 PM
There were plenty of times before I started W.C but none after.

I guess thats a good thing. Im not very good at the whole verbal abuse thing that builds up before fights. Maybe there would be more opportunities if I was ready to verbally abuse someone at the drop of a hat like some of my friends.

old jong
08-03-2004, 06:12 PM
I had quite a few fights when I was a kid but where are our forum "fighters" fight stories?...;)

Vajramusti
08-03-2004, 06:18 PM
but where are our forum "fighters" fight stories?...-----------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are legends in their own minds!

Vajramusti
08-03-2004, 06:23 PM
The men of my own style
They may mean ill or well
But they are used to the lies I am wonted to
And I am used to the lies they tell.

With apologies to Rudyard Kipling.

Ultimatewingchun
08-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Okay Joy...I'll take the bait.

I once had a problem with an absentee landlord...I rented an apartment from him in a house that had four apartments...for a hefty monthly rent...but there were leaks from the upstairs bathroom that resulted in several explosions when I turned on the light in my bathroom (which was directly underneath the bathroom on the next floor...and there was no heat in my bedroom (and it was the dead of winter)...and this a55hole was not only NOT FIXING THINGS...but he wasn't returning my phone calls either.

Until I made a call and left a message on his tape that he didn't appreciate, shall we say. He called back within two minutes...words were exchanged...and he said he would be over to "discuss" things in half an hour...(and we both understood that it would be more than a "discussion.")

I lived on the ground floor...and my door opened up directly to the street level sidewalk. Two hours later, the bell rings...and he's there with another guy (turned out it was his cousin who was visiting from Israel). They were both about my size (I'm 5'10" and weigh 170).

I'm now out from my apartment and on the sidewalk (and there was about maybe an inch or so of snow still on the ground from a snowstorm that occurred about 5 days previous)....The landlord is standing directly in front of me and his cousin is on my left.

It couldn't have been more than 2 seconds after he finished the sentence..."So what are you gonna do - tough guy"...when I dropped him with one punch to the face near his mouth...he fell straight backwards and down on his back.

It was a left rear cross - like a boxer would throw. (I wanted to hit him as hard as I could with the first shot, due to the fact that he had company...so I decided on a "power" punch with the maximum body movement and torgue behind it).

But before I could recover and turn his cousin started to grab me in a standing side-headlock with his right arm around my head/jaw...but I immediately came back up on him with a right uppercut to his ribs...and he let go.

The uppercut came too fast for him to have been able to apply any real pressure...or try to take me to the ground with the headlock.

The result was that he let go and backed away somewhat - and I followed him with the TWC entry technique...at which point he really jumped back; and in fact, then turned around completely and started to run away from me.

I turned around to find that the landlord was back on his feet...and I flew at him with another entry technique...but he backed up just slightly as I began to land...still close enough so that I immediately followed with a rear front kick aimed at his balls...which he just barely escaped - by jumping back again (it couldn't have missed by more than an inch)...

and now he decided he had enough also and turned and started to run...but I was furious with this guy and followed in pursuit - dropping him from behind with a haymaker left that caught him squarely on his left ear...

he went down and stayed down for the better part of ten minutes...I went back in the house and watched as his cousin kneeled by his side and cradled his head in his arms.

It required six stitches to close the gash by his ear.

They called the police...I said it was self defense...and that they attacked first (yeah...I lied!)...and that it was two-against-one. Since there were no witnesses - the police weren't sure what to do...so they arrested all of us - and we all spent the night in jail. The next day all charges and counter-charges were dropped, and we were all sent on our way. (Fortunately the cousin had a plane ticket to return to Israel in a few days and didn't want to get caught up in court proceedings).

I moved out of the apartment two weeks later.

Ernie
08-04-2004, 08:19 AM
victor
i think i would have been more impressed if you would have chi sau'd him to death , and finished the second guy with your internal power all the while reading a book on the history of wing chun and sipping a cup of coffee

;)

Ultimatewingchun
08-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Ernie:

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I love you, man....you crack me up!

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
08-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by old jong
I had quite a few fights when I was a kid but where are our forum "fighters" fight stories?...;)

Actually, I was hoping that the anonymous poll would allow people to answer the question honestly, without feeling compelled to embelish a story or make something up just to 'belong'. I think it says quite a bit that even though it is an anonymous poll with the option to select "no i haven't", that there have been over 580 views but only 24 votes.

kj
08-05-2004, 09:44 AM
It appears that there are a lot of non-participating forum members on most of the threads.

Regards,
- kj

Vajramusti
08-05-2004, 10:12 AM
With only 24 votes(I voted)- sort of hard to judge much about the extent of the wing chun background of those who check in on the list or
are infrequent participants. The tip of the iceberg- implications?.

I would like to think that there is more to wing chun than most of the postings would indicate.

Nick Forrer
08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Ive just added mine.

I would, however, be reluctant to divulge in a public forum the pysical confrontations I have been involved in in my 25 years on this planet.

Like most sane people i try and avoid confrontation where possible.

Victor, a word of advice from a trainee lawyer (you may not care - in which case ignore it). Posting that you attacked a man and then subsequently lied about it to the police may not go down too well if you have a future altercation and the courts are looking for some evidence as to the trustworthiness of your testimony. Just saying.....

Vajramusti
08-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Nick-
not everyone is given to chest beating, bragging and growling.

Ultimatewingchun
08-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Nick Forrer:

"Victor, a word of advice from a trainee lawyer (you may not care - in which case ignore it). Posting that you attacked a man and then subsequently lied about it to the police may not go down too well if you have a future altercation and the courts are looking for some evidence as to the trustworthiness of your testimony. Just saying....."

I'm too far gone for that, Nick.

I'm 53 years old and have been arrested for assault three times in my life - although the last time (1996 - the Draheim incident) was farsical...as I never even touched the man (someone else did).

Very fortunate though - as I have never been convicted of a crime.

Had a difficult childhood...one of the results of which is that I just won't back down when trouble comes to my door. I don't look for it - but will never run from it...and living in Brooklyn with that attitude sometimes means trouble.

C'est la vie.

PaulH
08-05-2004, 09:12 PM
No, no, Victor. It's C'est d'amour! =)

Ultimatewingchun
08-06-2004, 06:26 AM
PaulH:

You're a music lover like I am....one of my favorite songs is "Trouble Man" - by Marvin Gaye. Recorded back in the late 1970's/early 80's , I believe.

Great music...smooth pumpin' cool jazz rhythmic beat...and great lyrics!

My favorite line in the song:

"There's only three things for sure...taxes, death, and trouble!"

PaulH
08-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Hey Victor,

It takes true grit to say the things that the New Yorkers do! 0\_ =)

jay
08-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Hey. im all new in this forum. But i think, also, that the stories, we have, are for ourself, and not to talk about. but like this, every time you come unharm out of a fight, be happy that you are alive. I work i the door , and have seen a lot of ****, but most of the time you can talk the fight away. Sometimes when you have to fight, think like this. Is it a fight if you hit the guy befor he his you, or is it a fight whem you get hit also. Many pople say that they hav over hundreds of streetfight, hmm, who is counting, after the first 10 fights. I say when you have to fight, be ready to me get killed, then it won´t suprise you if you are in bad shape after the fight.

Merryprankster
08-25-2004, 03:34 PM
not everyone is given to chest beating, bragging and growling.

True. Some prefer to stare down their nose at the world.

russellsherry
08-25-2004, 08:57 PM
hi guys, in the early 1970s i started wing chun three , years after , bruce lee died, i found myself i ntrouble more than once,
old jong their was,this guy in our club always causing trouble and one day i had my back turned , for no reason the idiot hit me,
hard,in the back 3 times i told him to cut it out he did it again and paid the price i gave him a black eye, this guy always had it,in for me and paid the price a couple of time more some people never learn , peace russellsherry

Gangsterfist
08-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Hey russell-

Yeah some people never learn the easy way, they learn the hard way.

This is a bit off topic, but this last weekend my kung fu brothers and I took a road trip to tucson for a wing chun seminar. After hours we did a lot of chi sao and theory discussions on wing chun. I remembered reading your story about your disability and how you over came it with your wing chun. However, I cannot remember the specifics but all my brothers were happy to hear of your training and progession. They thought it was real cool what wing chun had to offer you.

In another thread you mentioned about some aggressor you over came at a pub and I mentioned that story to them. They thought it was really cool.

Just thought I would share that.

Good luck in your training

russellsherry
08-26-2004, 06:33 PM
hi gangsterfist , thanks foe the kind words. in my early trainining, we had a lot of very hard guys , in our club , my three bests mates, carlo bassi chris staimlous, made me bust my gut, to get my footwork , right i trained , three years before i could hold my stance correctly, how i would train , my footwork would envove sifu chris, charging at me , and making me move if i did not he would hit me and take no pity on me.so in had to learn to move, and i understood centerline threoy ok, also i did not to to block but punch and get the first strike in, this is very important to me, by the way my disabilertly is cerablal palsy and i was in leg irons until 11 i started wing chun at 16 and it helped me overcome a lot of walking problems as well please send my respect to your sifu and kung fu brithers peace russellsherry

russellsherry
08-26-2004, 06:36 PM
sorry gangersterfist, i meant to say brothers peace russellsherry