View Full Version : Deadlift PB

fa_jing
07-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Here's the workout: 1 rep L/R @ 135lbs one-legged deadlift

3 reps @ 225 standard deadlift

put on belt

295 x 2 reps
345 x single
365 x single (PB), felt fairly strong. Decided to take off the belt and switch grips so that the weak hand was supinated.
365 x .8 --- grip gave out on weak hand before I could finish off the top part of the lift. Had to put it back down. My back also rounded considerably, but it didn't stop me from completing the lift. With the other hand forward, I could have made the lift, but I definitely prefer the belt at this weight....
Put belt back on...
345 x single x 2
295 x single
295 x X - grip
225 x 2 stiff legged DL, grip was done.

Then

Bench Press -
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 6 (reps PB)
205 x 3 x 3

A few pullups, then I'm done.

BTW, I saw people using the benches the whole time I was there for exercises other than Bench Press, which pizzed me off. One guy was sitting on one doing BB wrist curls. 2 guys on seperate occassions were doing deadlifts with low weight while standing on the bench with the bar on the bench. Another guy grabbed the bar off the bench and was doing side bends with it on his back, despite the fact that other less important stations had bars to use.

:D :cool:

405 will be mine soon. Maybe 2 months?

IronFist
07-28-2004, 08:43 PM
(psssst, it's "PR" (personal record)) :)

Nice job. I've never tried a one legged DL. Do you put the bar to your side and do a pistol? How is that done?

What's your bodyweight?

Toby
07-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Nice one. At least I can still pip you in bench, but not by much :( :).

Originally posted by fa_jing
2 guys on seperate occassions were doing deadlifts with low weight while standing on the bench with the bar on the bench.Wtf? So they were doing feet together DL? What possible advantage does this hold in their warped minds over DL off the floor? Sounds like swiss ball squats to me.

I used to like kicking people off the bench. I'd be an ******* and tell them that the heavy benches were for people pushing heavy benches and could they please move if they weren't doing heavy benches. But with my own setup it's all good and I don't have to worry about sharing.

Iron, we're gunna be hearing a lot more "PB" with the Olympics coming up. Australian sports commentators love PB.

stubbs
07-29-2004, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Toby
[Wtf? So they were doing feet together DL? What possible advantage does this hold in their warped minds over DL off the floor? Sounds like swiss ball squats to me.

if im picturing it right, some people do this (especially for SL deads) for a greater ROM. though you might as well just do it off a small step or something and keep the bench free for others.

congrats on the PR! i haven't done deadlifts for ages. i've changed gyms recently from a regular beefcake gym to a martial arts gym (because it worked out cheaper) but their weights room is tiny and the equipment isn't too great. they don't even have a squat rack!!! they've got a smith machine but i've never used it - i don't really like the idea of them
________
Gay spanking (http://www.****tube.com/categories/637/spanking/videos/1)

Ford Prefect
07-29-2004, 06:53 AM
lol @ .8! That's funny. Good job on the PR. I love deadlifting big weight. The pressure is so high that my hearing drops off from the strain. It's a great feeling when you get it locked out though.

IronFist
07-29-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Toby
Iron, we're gunna be hearing a lot more "PB" with the Olympics coming up. Australian sports commentators love PB.

I love PB too... and jelly :)

Is PB personal best?

fa_jing
07-29-2004, 10:59 AM
yeah, I just got sick of saying PR.

One-legged deadlift is just like a regular deadlift except that you lift one foot off the floor behind you first, by bending at the knee. You use it a bit for balance, but sticking it way behind you for extra leverage is cheating in my book. It's a good abdominal exercise because you have to squeeze to keep your balance.

My BW is 190. Not all muscle, but mostly.

Toby, where you have me beat is the squat, definitely. I'll work at some point to bring that in line, for now it is lagging.

Although my shoulder girdle was a bit taxed from the deadlifts, one nice thing that I found when benching was that it didn't feel like so much weight in my hands, after having handled much heavier weights with the deadlifts.

IronFist
07-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
Although my shoulder girdle was a bit taxed from the deadlifts, one nice thing that I found when benching was that it didn't feel like so much weight in my hands, after having handled much heavier weights with the deadlifts.

That's cool, right? You can experience a similar phenomenon if, before your "working" squat sets, you put on 90lbs over you 2RM (or over whatever your working set it) and just unrack and hold the weight for a few seconds. Then rack it and take the extra weight off and resume your normal sets. The bar will feel so light (at first)!

Toby
07-29-2004, 08:26 PM
To make myself feel better :p I had to try for a 275 bench this morning. Not even close. Dropped it to 265 and it was no problem at all - not even straining. I think it's a mental thing. Since I dropped weight I really struggle with 275.

And the squat? I unracked 340 this morning and it felt sooo wrong as soon as I started descending. Matter of fact it's felt wrong all cycle. So I only did pathetic 1/4 squats :mad:. Maybe something to do with feeling exhausted last night but still doing HIIT plus an hour or so of MA training and some stretching. To make up I did 308 way below parallel for the 90% set.

I always bench first of all. Historical reasons. But yeah, it definitely feels light in comparison to DL and squat. It's all mental though. A year ago I would've panicked unracking 300 on the squat. I would've panicked unracking 250 on the bench without a spotter. Now I don't exactly panic on 350 squats, but I'm definitely aware of it. I'm sure I'd be a bit scared of 360 right now. I wish I knew how to get rid of that mental thing.

fa_jing
07-30-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm always scared of a weight I haven't lifted before. The solution has been to only go up by 10 pounds at most when establishing a new standard.

Ford Prefect
07-30-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure how this would work for you guys since you normally do different protocols. Whenever I focus on maximal strength, I use Westside's protocol. Directly after my Dynamic day box squats/bench presses, I'll do a 3x3 in 1/4 squats/pin presses (top 3" of bench press). This helps me get acclimated to much heavier weights than I can use for the full movements, so whenever I unrack a new PR it doesn't have that "I'm going to F you up and crush you" feel to it. It doesn't really feel heavy at all since I'm used to supporting much more. It really takes the negative psychology away from attempting a PR.

I'm sure you could add something like that in a PTP protocol no problem. Maybe do a 1x3 after your works sets and keep increasing the weight exponentially along with the full lifts...

Samurai Jack
07-30-2004, 01:05 PM
This helps me get acclimated to much heavier weights than I can use for the full movements, so whenever I unrack a new PR it doesn't have that "I'm going to F you up and crush you" feel to it. It doesn't really feel heavy at all since I'm used to supporting much more. It really takes the negative psychology away from attempting a PR.

Yeah, I've had the same exact experience and can vouch for Ford's comment. I used to train Static Contraction style which essentially involves lifting an extremly heavy weight within your strongest range of motion and supporting it until your muscles fail.

After alot of experimentation, and six months of training this style, I've come to the conclusion that it's a useful tool for heavy lifting, but far from optimal when used alone. Used it as a plateau buster however, and your PR's will go up very, very fast.

To try it for your bench press, you want to

1.Place a bench inside a squat rack or smith machine

2. Set the pins on the rack or smith machine such that the barbell is between 1 and 3 inches from where you would normally lockout on the movement.

3. Load up your bar with 150% of what you estimate your 1-rep max to be.

4. lift the load and hold it until failure.

5. rest for a couple of days, then perform another static hold with 200% of your 1-rep max. Take 2 days of rest.

6. On your next workout attempt your new PR.

This protocol will accomplish two things. Firstly, it'll show you psychologically speaking that you are capable of supporting much more weight than you originally beleived. And secondly, it'll get your joints/golgi tendons comfortable with handling waaaaay more weight than you are going to lift with your PR attempt. This will have the effect of making your PR feel lihter than it is, and it will keep your nervous system from panicing and slamming on the brakes when you attempt your maximal lift.

Because of the support provided by the rack and your limited range of motion you are in no danger of injury, and further, the new stimulus of a static hold used in this way may even shock some new growth when used with a regular program of full range conventional lifts.

fa_jing
07-30-2004, 07:43 PM
What about just doing heavy Bench Press lockouts, board presses and such like PL-ifters do? It's supposed to target the triceps.

I actually set up the bars as high as possible in the power rack to do some heavy overhead lockouts the other day. Did it after benching, it fried my triceps and shoulders and is good for abs. At my height, I basically did the top 8 inches or so of an OH squat, rather than press the weight. I worked up to 225lbs. which I hope to be jerking overhead in a couple of months. I'd like to start using much higher weight for the OH lockout, like 315. You can go up really fast in weight both in these exercises, and in the main exercise you are supplementing. From what I hear.

Samurai Jack
07-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Sure, lockouts are good too. I just think that static lifts are safer, and you can load your joints with even heavier weights than you can with a partial rep lockout. Both work, and for the same reasons.