PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst tournament you've ever sparred in?

Hermes3X
07-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Well, sorry if this has been posted before, but as above so below:

What's the worst tournament you've sparred in?

MasterKiller
07-30-2004, 06:02 AM
Anything hosted by a Karate school.

Ford Prefect
07-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Some random submission grappling tourney. I was in the gi and no-gi divisions. There were 8 people in each of my divisions. You only had to win your first match, lose your second, and win your third to place 3rd... Definately not the most meaningful trophies I've got. I got 2nd in gi and 3rd in no-gi and I only went 4-2 the whole day!

Shaolinlueb
07-30-2004, 07:00 AM
the wong beginer sparring looked more like NHB fighting, they had a hard time enforcing the rules. but the intermediate and advanced was good.

i have seen decent sparring at karate tournaments. the people at tae kwan do and karate ones like to hold their hand up to show they scored a point :rolleyes:

ShaolinTiger00
07-30-2004, 07:27 AM
the wong beginer sparring looked more like NHB fighting,

yeah Jow Ga guys don't understand light contact.

I got DQ'ed from a tourney when I made the other guy's nose bleed. Subsequently that was my first and only light contact tournament.

KC Elbows
07-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
I got DQ'ed from a tourney when I made the other guy's nose bleed.

You monster!:D

Treating a warrior like that. You should be ashamed. Warriors are like tender flowers, don't you know that?

Ray Pina
07-30-2004, 07:52 AM
TKD North American Championships in Queens New York, two Octobers ago.

I was penalized for "grabbing", when I was pinning, and for "holding" the leg when I was wedging the leg and also for taking the guy down.

On top of all of that the guy was allowed to treat my head like a soccer ball but I could not treat his like a volley ball. I will never compete in that type of event again. Re-God-****-diculous.

SaMantis
07-30-2004, 09:05 AM
I got DQ'ed from a tourney when I made the other guy's nose bleed.

That sux. Why should you be penalized because the other guy was too slow to get his face out of the way? :D

Seriously tho, the whole "DQ on nosebleed" thing (I saw it at another tourney) is questionable IMO. Some folks get a nosebleed at the slightest tap. In light contact the ref should have to prove there was intent to harm (hitting hard) or confer with the corner judges before making the decision.

kung fu muppet
07-30-2004, 09:11 AM
a friendly between all the clubs in my old kickboxing association, my first ever fight against the *world champ*(whatever) for his age and his dad was the referee, i kept on hitting him but didnt score the points:confused:

Akhilleus
07-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Seriously tho, the whole "DQ on nosebleed" thing (I saw it at another tourney) is questionable IMO. Some folks get a nosebleed at the slightest tap.

Yeah...it can happen even w/o getting hit...like if a dude has allergies or something...

Worst tournament I ever sparred in? I don't really want to say it on the 'net...but lets just say I'm not a big fan of "continuous".

SaMantis
07-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Oh come on, say it! Say it! (j/k) :D

The fight I described above, both fighters were totally PO'd by the decision, they both shouted "WTF!!!??!!" at the same time. The guy who won didn't even want to take the medal.

ShaolinTiger00
07-30-2004, 10:17 AM
no, we had both been warned before about the heavy contact. I just got in the next punch.

When you've been training full contact for a long time, it's very hard to scale back in a competition.

SevenStar
07-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Every light contact tourney I've been in - getting penalized for hard contact sucks.

Liokault
07-30-2004, 11:26 AM
My worst was a Zhong Ding event that only 5 people entered.

They had no idea about full contact and wanted up to wear crazy gear.

After a bit of a revolt we just wore things we took along on the day to warm up with as the stuff provided was crap.

The really odd part of this is that I purchased a MA magazine this week (first in a long time) because its got a guy on that cover (under the heading "unsung hero" lol) that I vaugley know. Half way though his interview he talks about this event and how well he and his team did in it: he got 3rd and his team mates took 1st and 3rd as well.......of course there is no mention of the fact that only 5 guys entered of that the guy he fought had never had a fight before and was not even training for full contact.

unkokusai
07-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Hermes3X
Well, sorry if this has been posted before, but as above so below:

What's the worst tournament you've sparred in?

Some dinky little invitational tournament back in high school. I think almost everyone on our team took first place in their weight class!

SifuAbel
07-30-2004, 11:46 AM
The worst for me was my one and only point match in a kaw-rotty tournament were the guy got the final win by jumping up and do a nuggie tap to the top of my head. I landed a clean blow to his belly. He got the point.

It must have been a secret dim mak nuggie tap or something.

:rolleyes: