PDA

View Full Version : Trip to China and Interview with Masters

twocircles
07-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Hi all,

I returned from three weeks in China a few weeks ago. It was a great adventure. We spent most of our time in Shandong province, but we also got to visit Beijing for a few days.

One item of general interest, we were able to gather evidence that indicates that Chen Fake's form did not change during the years that he was in Beijing.

Hong Junsheng studied with Chen Fake from 1930 to 1944, and left to live in Jinan. Hong practiced on his own until 1956 when he returned to study with Chen Fake for about six months.

We found out where Chen Fake taught Hong Junsheng in Beijing in 1956 from an eyewitness. As has been already established, CFK was pleased with HJS's progress with the forms and push hands and set out to teach him all the applications and counters. HJS later wrote that he commented to CFK that the postures of the form were different than the positions needed for application and asked if he could modify his forms to conform to the applications.

From this it has been inferred that Chen Fake's form changed between the time HJS left in 1944 and returned in 1956. Many have speculated that this was the birth of the Xinjia form.

However, our eyewitness went to Beijing in 1955, lived with Chen Fake for two weeks, studied with Chen Fake until his death and was present for two of the months that Chen Fake taught Hong Junsheng. In that time, he never saw any form taught other than the form that Chen Fake had taught Hong Junsheng. In fact, he saw Chen Fake demonstrate the form, and Hong Junsheng's was exactly like it.

In Hong's account it sounds like one day he showed Chen Fake a completed application form and got Chen's permission to practice that way. What we did not know was that this was a gradual process with Chen Fake actually providing some help along the way as well as approval of the end result.

Hong's book lists every change and the reason for it. We are hoping to have an English translation available soon. Chen and Hong apparently intended to continue this exercise on subsequent visits. Unfortunately, Chen Fake died the following year and additional visits did not take place.

We also got to see some of Chen Fake's practice regimen. It's tough stuff , but I am going to work to incorporate it into my own practice.

Theories have developed around the assumption that Chen Fake's form had changed between 1944 and 1956. Thus differentiating Laojia and Xinjia. This is apparently erroneous.

Who created the so called Xinjia? Evidence is still inconclusive. Perhaps a better question is what is Xinjia? Other Chen Fake students, such as Feng Zhiqiang have said that the Laojia and Xinjia distinction is invalid.

So, it appears that all students of Chen Fake practiced essentially the same form. Differences between practitioners can be attributed to emphasis in training and imperfections in execution of the form. Hong Junsheng's form is the same in sequence but appears somewhat different since it reflects the applications of Taijiquan.

We also got to interview about seven other Taiji masters. Each interview was enlightening in its own right.

Another highlight of the trip was that Chen Zhonghua was named International Standard Bearer representing the Hong Junsheng family and the Chen Style Taijiquan Practical Method. Li Enjiu was named Standard Bearer for the branch a few months ago.

It was an interesting trip. I personally witnessed at least six challenges and know of two others. Shandong has a long history of martial arts and is historically expected to produce the toughest fighters in China. It's a put-up-or-shut-up attitude. The challenger has very little to lose, so it is still quite common.

I returned from China with the bar raised on many levels.

Richard Johnson

shrub
07-30-2004, 06:45 AM
Didn't Chen Zhonghua advertised himself as the North American representative of Feng Zhiquan's Hunyuan Taiji just a couple of years ago?

So how is he to become International Standard Bearer representing the Hong Junsheng all of a sudden? I thought Hong died years ago without naming a successor.

twocircles
07-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi shrub,

Yes, I know it can be confusing.

Chen Zhonghua is a disciple of the late Hong Junsheng. He is also a disciple of Feng Zhiqiang. As a disciple of Feng Zhiqiang, CZH is a representative of his teacher, and he has done many things to promote Grandmaster Feng's art in North America.

CZH is also still a representative of his teacher, Hong Junsheng. Recently, the Hong family and Hong's senior disciples additionally asked Chen Zhonghua to be the International Standard Bearer for Hong's Chen Style Taijiquan Practical Method.

Everything is greatly simplified by the fact that both teachers were students of Chen Fake.

Here are pictures from the trip and the ceremony.

http://www.chentaichi.org/Chinatrip2004_1.php

Enjoy,

Richard Johnson

shrub
07-31-2004, 08:47 AM
Did Chem Zhonghua participate in any of the challenge matches? Do you know of any other matches that Chen Zhonghua participated in?

twocircles
07-31-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi,

Not all of the challenges were matches per se, but just as real and just as critical. Chen Zhonghua handled several of the situations privately, that is to say not in public, rather than alone. Li Enjiu's students handled the matches at the ceremony. Chen Zhonghua's students handled others. Another was withdrawn after a brief demonstration.

One was as a challenge between brothers of the same lineage over effective technique. Appparently, there has been a running debate that was settled physically, at least for this round.

It was really interesting. Because the challenger has very little to lose, the challengee sets the terms of the acceptance and can refuse to accept the challenge. In the case of the ceremony matches, it was agreed that it would be in push hands format with one fall. The challengers were pretty good. It was not a quick nor easy victory.

Richard Johnson

shrub
08-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the interesting travelogue and pictures. I refer them to some of my friends who have connections either to the Feng Zhiqiang school or the Hong school. Here are some questions and comments:

Why didn't Chen Zhonghua stop by at Beijing to visit Grandmaster Feng and/or members of his school? Is there something going on? Is that why he is now promoting himself as a representative of the Hong school?

My source told me that Li Enjiu is a very senior disciple of Hong's and has been named as One of the PRINCIPAL inheritor of the Hong Tai Chi system last year. Chen on the other hand is a very junior member of the school . According to the certificate, he was recognized as only an overseas inheritor of the Hong system, not quite as the international standard bearer as you make it out to be.

twocircles
08-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi shrub,

Thanks for your interest.

I think that Gord just doesn't have the Beijing pages posted yet.

Our schedule only allowed us to spend one day in Grandmaster Feng's school. He was involved with a very large Japanese group, and because we are part of his system, there was no priority to come and entertain us. His daughter, Feng Xiuqian, instructed us. Xiuqian had stayed in a couple of our homes two years ago when she was here. It was a great reunion, and we had a natural rapport with her. We got to see GM Feng's new facility. We had a good time.

After our group left, Shifu Chen stayed in China and went to visit his family in Shandong. On the way home, he and his family stopped in Beijing and had a nice visit with Grandmaster Feng.

The purpose of this trip, after the ceremony, was to capture many of the senior students of Hong on tape before they are lost. While we were there, a wife of one of our interviewees died. On this visit, we focused on the life of Hong Junsheng. We hope to be able to return and have longer more in-depth, technical interviews.

Yes, Li Enjui was named Standard Bearer of the system last year. He is good friends with Chen Zhonghua and recommended him as International Standard Bearer at the same time. Chen Zhonghua declined at the time but later accepted at the urging of Hong's family. Li Enjui's efforts are principally inside China. Chen Zhonghua coordinates efforts to promote Chen Style Taijiquan outside of China.

There are more photos in rather random order at the URL below, including a photo of the actual certificate. It is nearly identical to Li Enjiu's except that it says "overseas."

http://www.veryjerry.com/China_photos_WEB/index.htm

It was a great trip, and I hope to have more.

Richard Johnson