PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: taiji fighters

Ray Pina
07-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Are there any tendancies one should watch for when fighting a taiji guy?

For example, against Hsing-I, I would say watch for the bum rush which will most likely come inside and be very tight and possibly initiated with a strong low leg taking the center as well.

Liokault
07-30-2004, 08:12 AM
As long as your not a tree you have nothing to worry about from Tai Chi.

Tak
07-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Bull****. We had a bunch of taiji guys fight full contact in our tournament this year, and I don't recall any tree hugging or attempted qi blasts.

I dunno about tendencies, though - maybe to be reactionary rather than aggressive is all I can think of.

Liokault
07-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Tai Chi you say?

In full contact?

Are you sure?

Sounds just plain wrong to me!

Ray Pina
07-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Some guys might stop by the school later and I'd lack a crack at them. I've chi saud and pushed hands with a few taiji guys but never free fought.

Tak
07-30-2004, 09:00 AM
Positive.

It was fun to see William CC Chen and his children do a Yang style short form wearing ring gloves, too.

Liokault
07-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Tak
Positive.

It was fun to see William CC Chen and his children do a Yang style short form wearing ring gloves, too.

Yeah, but every one knows they cant fight right?

Tak
07-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Hehehe.

Ray Pina
07-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Not only is Mr. Chen's son fighting out in San Da events, his pretty daughter is, too.

Tak
07-30-2004, 10:54 AM
That's right - they both won their divisions at our tournament afaik. One of my fellow (what's the female equivalent of fellow?) students fought Tiffany and said that she was extremely tough.

Liokault
07-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
Not only is Mr. Chen's son fighting out in San Da events, his pretty daughter is, too.

Yeah, but thats just bad kickboxing right?

I mean Chen "says" he does tai chi, but I hear that he made it up from books to cash in on the tai chi hippy thing.

TaiChiBob
07-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Greetings..

Tsk, tsk.. W.C.C.Chen and his family are decent and warm people.. Tiffany is a world-class lady that can push and fight very well.. Max is a madman on the mat, and maturing with each fight.. yes, the both won their divisions at Nick Scrima's Orlando tournament.. and it was tough matches.. Josh and Dan (students of Master Chen's) won their pushing matches.. say what you will but they are out there showing their stuff and winning, consistently.....

Master Chen is a direct student of Professor CMC.. and i've trained with him.. he's very real.. and very capable, even at age 71.

Yeah, but thats just bad kickboxing right?
No, that's pretty nasty stuff.. but, rather than make unfounded statements.. be there, show your own stuff..

I mean Chen "says" he does tai chi, but I hear that he made it up from books to cash in on the tai chi hippy thing.
LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?.. i mean really, when you acheive such honors and such a consistently winning team then you might have some validity for comments like the above.. but, until then, it's just plain embarrassing..

be well

Tak
07-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by TaiChiBob
did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

If he wasn't, I demand a recount!

Liokault
07-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by TaiChiBob

LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?.. i mean really, when you acheive such honors and such a consistently winning team then you might have some validity for comments like the above.. but, until then, it's just plain embarrassing..

Liokault: Slaps own fore head.......must remember, Americans....no ability to laugh at them selfs.....(slaps own fore head)......to ready to take offense.

I did think that a thread about tai chi fighters, where I am a tai chi guy who fights san shou and posted:

Tai Chi you say?

In full contact?

Are you sure?

Sounds just plain wrong to me!

Was clearly a joke, and would need no explanation. Again I over estimate Americans.......(slaps own fore head).

Kung fu magazine you say? Hmmmmmm

Liokault
07-30-2004, 03:46 PM
On the plus side, I have a new sig.

Brad
07-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Was clearly a joke, and would need no explanation. Again I over estimate Americans.......(slaps own fore head).
Or maybe you're just overestimating your own forum popularity :D As hard as it is to believe, maybe not every person who reads this forum knows who you are and what you do :p

Liokault
07-31-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Brad
Or maybe you're just overestimating your own forum popularity :D As hard as it is to believe, maybe not every person who reads this forum knows who you are and what you do :p

I assume that I have no forum popularity. I have not even posted much here in the last 4 months. Even so theres a point where you are clearly not being seriouse......and I was well inside that mark.

Ma_Xu_Zha
07-31-2004, 09:30 AM
this year at koushu in baltimore i saw a few tai chi fighters. tiffany chen won in full contact defeating a girl 3 times her weight in heavy weight division. peaceable dragon school had full contact and had a few fighters. i think one or two of them won.

TaiChiBob
08-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Greetings..

<heavy sigh> I intended to offend no one.. only to shed light on the accomplishments of a good teacher and his family, who appeared to be getting some undeserved criticism regarding his lineage and ability..

As for "who you are".. there are many people who read these threads, many novices.. they don't know who any of us are.. to keep it simple for them and the art in general, we should be careful how state certain things..

So, i apologize if i don't know you by your screen-name, and wish only to promote quality Taiji..

Be well...

PS.. check with anyone that knows me.. i embrace humor more than i should most of the time..

Ray Pina
08-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Well, the taiji guys couldn't make it on Fri. but they are coming tomorrow, Tuesday.

I'm not really expecting much because a student who has been training with us for 8 months -- with no previous training -- pushed their students and instructor around and said they had no power. I think they want to come more to see than cross hands but you never know .... one can hope.

yenhoi
08-02-2004, 11:32 PM
As far as tai chi tendencies I think it has to do with the teacher mainly. It seems to me that many of CMC's students have high skill and have high skill students of their own. Of the people Ive seen sometimes there is large difference in the emphasis between the different CMC lines. Im sure this is the same accross the TJQ clans.

:eek:

YongChun
08-03-2004, 03:08 PM
See: Tai Chi masters:

http://www.judoinfo.com/video5.htm

Also see Karate Master under : Concentration