PDA

View Full Version : northern mantis in wisconsin

shaolin26
07-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone here knew of any southern praying mantis schools around Wisconsin. Northern would be good too, but from what I've read of the stlyles I'd prefer southern. Thanks for the help.

SiuHung
07-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by shaolin26
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone here knew of any southern praying mantis schools around Wisconsin. Northern would be good too, but from what I've read of the stlyles I'd prefer southern. Thanks for the help.

Sorry Man, you'll have to take the drive to Chicago for mantis.

X-Warrior
08-01-2004, 05:06 PM
There is a school in the twin cities but the instructor - Gin Foon Mark - has been caught of ripping off students and people round the world by selling videos and manuals claiming to be the 5th generation master personally selected by the 4th generation master of the Jook Lum southern mantis branch. He gained fame and wealth with this advertisement until all truth came out: the 4th generation master - Lum Wing Fai, who instructed in NY city - has left NO 5th generation master. Many people are after GFM right now, so don't waste your time and money, head to Chicago. There are legitimate schools there.

-X-

cerebus
08-01-2004, 07:40 PM
But, regardless of claims to grandmastership, isn't Gin Foon Mark a skilled and qualified instructor? He HAS been practicing & teaching most of his life, right?

cerebus
08-01-2004, 07:43 PM
PS: shaolin26, the title of your post reads "northern mantis in wisconsin". This might cause the Southern Mantis people to skip over it. You might want to change the title. :D

X-Warrior
08-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Cerebus, yes you are correct, he is skilled but some people just prefer not to invest into a school that makes its fame and fortune by false claims. Honesty is as important in martial arts as the art itself. I would definitely not be interested in studying under any instructor that makes false claims. I certainly don't want to look up to an instructor as an example who sells videos/manuals with false claims and I knew about it. What if you were that person purchasing one of these videos? Wouldn't you be upset to know that you have been cheated?

-X-

X-Warrior
08-02-2004, 11:00 AM
There are other very skilled instructors in the Southern Mantis and I would definitely rather look at those others, instructors whom are honest and I don't have to cover up for, or feel guilty knowing that he is making false claims just to make money. That's a no-no to me, I could not get into that ever. There are other, better options fortunately.

-X-

cerebus
08-03-2004, 12:13 AM
I agree with you. I'm just thinking that if he's the ONLY one teaching SPM within a viable distance, then shaolin26 could at least get a solid foundation there before eventually training elsewhere. I mean, if he really wants to learn SPM that badly.