PDA

View Full Version : choy lay fut seminar,abington mass

ccpc
07-31-2004, 04:50 PM
august 28 from 2 pm - 4pm sifu nelson chan will be teaching a seminar on choy lay fut. the seminar will take place at south shore wah lum kung fu club in abington , mass after the grand opening ceremony. If you have any questions you can reach us at 1-781-878-6188 or www.wah-lum.com

monk weed
08-01-2004, 05:58 AM
what aspects of choy lay fut will sifu chan be teaching?

ccpc
08-01-2004, 12:00 PM
sifu chan will be teaching basic footwork, hand drills,and history of choy lay fut followed by the first excercise form.

Shaolinlueb
08-01-2004, 08:18 PM
sounds like it will be a good seminar. i would check it out but i have a wedding that day.

Serpent
08-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi there. Is there a site that tells us more about Sifu Chan? I've never heard of him and would be interested to know more.

Ou Ji
08-02-2004, 06:24 AM
Hey man, the link doesn't work.

So what branch of CLF is this? Seems to be quite a few CLF branches popping up lately. Who's his teacher?

CLFNole
08-02-2004, 01:25 PM
I know he learned some CLF sets from my sifu, Lee Koon Hung but I thought he was more of a Wah Lum guy. He is Chan Poi's brother.

Peace.

Rhat
08-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by CLFNole
I know he learned some CLF sets from my sifu, Lee Koon Hung but I thought he was more of a Wah Lum guy. He is Chan Poi's brother.

Peace.

hey, I met Lee Koon Hung 15 years ago!

CLFNole
08-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Rhat:

Thats great must have been on one of his trips to the US before he moved here to Florida in 1993.

Peace.

Rhat
08-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by CLFNole
Rhat:

Thats great must have been on one of his trips to the US before he moved here to Florida in 1993.

Peace.

Yup, we talked a little and ate a lot of good food at the party.

ccpc
08-05-2004, 01:47 PM
yes, sifu nelson was a student and friend of the late lee koon hung. a brief history of sifu nelson chan is as follows.

nelson chan began studying wah lum kung fu at a young age in china under his cousin chan wan ching,sixth generation succesor of the northern praying mantis system.
after immigrating to the united states in 1971 nelson continued to study wah lum and lion dance from his cousin chan leung and his brothers chan lien and grand master chan poi.
in 1989 through 1991, nelson chan went back to china to study northern praying mantis and plum flower praying mantis from masters zheng bing dao and li en jiu. he also studied chen style tai chi under mah hung.
today, sifu nelson chan teaches several kung fu styles such as wah lum pai, choy lay fut, hung fut,and his own familys little known southern kung fu style mok ga kune.
while wah lum praying mantis is his primary style he has a deep appriciation for southern kung fu and has devouted many years to studying it.

JustChecking
08-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Hi!! Just wanting to check on something.

I'm going to be in the area during the time of the seminar. I'm really interested in Choy Lay Fut (sp?), but I've got some questions about it.

I see that Nelson Chan is Chan Poi's brother & teaches several different arts. Was he certified by Lee Koon Hung to teach Choy Lay Fut? I've noticed on the Lee Koon Hung website they're awful strict about copyrights & all that stuff & don't want to get into something that may have legal ramifications.

Plus if he wasn't authorized/certified to teach CLF, why is he? Wouldn't that be like me going to a seminar on CLF & then turning around at home & teaching what I know like I know what I'm doing?

Thanks!

CLFNole
08-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Forms themselves are not trademarked so anyone can teach a form that they know. I wouldn't worry about it.

Peace.

Sow Choy
08-10-2004, 10:43 AM
If I remeber correctly...

GM Chan Pui has an Uncle who did Choy Lay Fut, Chan Pui himself knows some, wheter from the uncle or GM Lee Koon Hung, Im not sure, probably both. Both Grandmasters were pretty open minded...

Our association and Wah Lum are very close, we are like the same family.

Joe

ccpc
08-10-2004, 11:54 AM
in answer to just checking.
yes, sifu nelson chan was authorized by lee koon hung to teach what he had taught him.

Ben Gash
08-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Now if he was doing a Mok Gar seminar, that might be interesting.

Ou Ji
08-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Wow, I'd be up for a Mok Gar seminar. Been through the CLF thing lately. Maybe ccpc can whisper in Sifu Chan's ear and plant the seed for a Mok Gar seminar.

So, what's the verdict on the CLF? Is it Lee Koon Hung branch CLF or his uncle's CLF? BTW, what branch did his uncle learn anyhow? I think a little more CLF background info would help.

racerX
08-13-2004, 06:14 AM
hello
I was wondering what the Mok Gar system was like?
Can anyone share some details.
thanks

Ben Gash
08-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Mok Gar is a medium fist system in the typical Cantonese Nan Sil Lum mode. It is noted for it's unusual footwork and incorporates a variety of interesting kicking strategies at all levels. The highest form of the system is the "108 kicks" form. Weapons wise it's noted for it's tiger fork.

racerX
08-13-2004, 07:47 AM
thanks for the info ben.
do you know other names of the forms?
what do you mean by unusual footwork?
thanks again.

ccpc
08-13-2004, 03:32 PM
To all of you who have shown interest in the South Shore Wah Lum Kung Fu Club and Sifu Nelson Chan, we would like to thank you for your comments and questions.

Sifu Nelson has been quietly passing on his knowledge for the past 35+ years, unselfishly making only enough profit to run the his school. As most of us have been with him for at least 10 years we, his senior students, asked if we might promote him a bit, keeping the same principals in mind. Not to make a profit, but to keep a close club atmosphere while continuing the old school kung fu traditions. Practical over pretty and function over form.
He has so much to pass along, and although he has Wah Lum in his blood he and his family have made many close Kung Fu brothers from many styles. A few of these masters have been like family to the benefit of both styles and have shared a mutual appreciation. Sifu Nelson talks with great fondness for his friend Lee Koon Hung, and I know we his students would have loved to meet the man.
As this is the 1st attempt Sifu Nelson has made to do an open seminar his senior students requested a bit of something different.. Abit selfishly motivated perhaps but if all goes well there will probably be many other seminars, Mok Gar forms included.

Once again thanks for the questions and keep them coming
We would love to learn more about you as well and continue to make new kung fu brothers and sisters.

Rhat
08-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ccpc

As this is the 1st attempt Sifu Nelson has made to do an open seminar his senior students requested a bit of something different.. Abit selfishly motivated perhaps but if all goes well there will probably be many other seminars, Mok Gar forms included.

Good luck to Sifu Nelson's 1st seminar.

Are there any CLF forms included?

Rhat
08-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
Mok Gar is a medium fist system in the typical Cantonese Nan Sil Lum mode. It is noted for it's unusual footwork and incorporates a variety of interesting kicking strategies at all levels. The highest form of the system is the "108 kicks" form. Weapons wise it's noted for it's tiger fork.

Ben Gash,

That's the first time someone said anything about the "108 kicks" form. Kung Fu movie star, Kim Ton is also a master of Mok Gar.

Zatoichi

Rhat
08-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Correction: Hop Gar, not Mok Gar.