PDA

View Full Version : PayPal class action lawsuit

IronFist
08-01-2004, 12:47 PM
How many of you guys have this email? I tried to post it here but it said it's too long.

More information at http://www.paypalsucks.com.

You can hear a recorded phone call with PayPal here (http://marc.perkel.com/audio/paypal2.mp3). The guy gets PayPal to admit that they can basically screw you and then tells them he was recording the phone call and they freak out.

Has anyone here had any problems with them?

Royal Dragon
08-01-2004, 12:51 PM
I got an email form them about it saying I was entitled to something. I've never had a problem with them though, so I really don't care to persue it.

I have sent $$ over seas a number of times, allways got the goods I paid for, and NEVER had an issue.

IronFist
08-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Did you ever accept payment with paypal?

Royal Dragon
08-01-2004, 01:23 PM
No, I only sent money.

IronFist
08-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Same here.

cerebus
08-01-2004, 03:54 PM
I receive payments through Paypal quite often. I received the same email but haven't had time to read through it yet.

Shaolinlueb
08-01-2004, 04:29 PM
some lady refunded me my money, and they wont let me p[ut it back into my bank account. those ****ing *******s.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-01-2004, 09:09 PM
it takes a couple days but i have put money back into my bank account many times.

did they specifically tell you no for some reason?

SevenStar
08-01-2004, 10:26 PM
I got that email.

Yum Cha
08-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Gee, the recording sounds like some whiny smut peddler who doesn't have a clue about the way internet transactions take place, who violated the terms that he never read, and then tried to make it sound like Pay Pal was doing "anything they wanted" for "No reason at all" which is wrong on both counts if you listen to the recording. On top of that, he's full of himself, and trying to bully them into giving him what he wants.

I've never used pay pal, but I've dealt with lots of con-boys who thought they were smarter than the average bear, and whined like little girls when they got busted...

The only redeeming value is that it is moderately amusing listening him tell them --- The recording said, 'this conversation may be recorded' so I am simply doing what you said I may, and recording it. I would even suspect that if they had given their surnames, he wouldn't have been able to use the recording, but I'm not sure.

In case you guys don't know, for the consumers protection, credit card transactions that take place when the card and signature are not present fall unit a "mail order" category which is different to transactions taking place when card and signature are present.

Under the rules of this type of transaction, the card holder simply has to ask for their money back and the bank must refund it, leaving the merchant with the burden of proving that the goods or services were rendered and that payment is indeed due. This is called a "charge back."

Once the guy broke his agreement, he became a "high risk" for charge backs, and Pay Pal simply put the risk on him instead of themselves. The lesson is, play ball by the rules, or get the bat up your azz.

IronFist
08-01-2004, 10:46 PM
^ PayPal isn't a bank and therefore isn't goverened by bank rules.

KungFuGuy!
08-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Yeah, that email is such a scam. It says you can be part of a lawsuit against paypal and they spew out a lot of legit sounding legal stuff, but then proceed to ask for your credit card information. It's a very thorough and well thought out email scam. Well, at least compared to other email scams.

Unmatchable
08-02-2004, 12:46 AM
they ask you for your credit card number so they can put money into your account $50. All you have to do is fill out this form:
https://ppl.gardencitygroup.com/ppl/fs/shortClaim?action=clear

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-02-2004, 01:01 AM
at least this scam had proper english.

Yum Cha
08-02-2004, 01:10 AM
Now, Pay Pal might not be a bank, but they probably are a licensed credit provider, which gives them rights and responsibilities.

Also, as a company that deals with financial institutions, it would be sound business practice to know how they operate and to align your business processes to theirs to mitigate as much risk as possible. Policies and laws are different, but when a company says "here is our policy, to do business with us you must agree to its terms and conditions" that's a contract.

Sure, companies abuse their authority to profit on we small fry, and its great to see grass roots action to take them to task, its just that this doesn't seem like one of those situations.