PDA

View Full Version : Vietnamese Wing Chun, Long Sword...

taichi4eva
08-01-2004, 04:52 PM
I was reading some info on Vietnamese Wing Chun off this website. It's in Vietnamese...http://www.vinhxuan.com2.info/

I just had some questions.

1. The site says that Vietnamese Wing Chun has sets for staff, knives, and kiem (gim in Cantonese?). Has anyone ever seen this sword form?
2. On the Wudang Weng Chun Kuen site, there's both a vid and pictures of a "long sword form"...would it be similar to this one? Also, I'm really interested in this form, so if anyone has more info, like the history, etc. feel free to share. Is it fishy that in the photos, the movements are ended with words "dao" and not "gim"?
3. Also, from what I've read on the site, the curriculum for the empty handed forms in Hanoi (the north) and Saigon (the south) are different

Hanoi (Tran Thuc Tien)
- Thu Dau Quyen (SLT)
- Ngu Hinh Quyen (Five Animal Fist)
- Nhat linh Tam (I don't know what the word in the middle means..the first one means one and the last one means eight)

Saigon or HCM City (Nguyen Duy Hai)
- Thu Dau Quyen (SLT)
- Ngu Hinh Quyen
- Hac Hinh Hu Bo (Crane Shaped "Something"...[since the names of these forms are in Han Viet and not regular, i'm unsure. in the native tongue, hu means bad] Stance)

My Vietnamese sucks..lol...anyways, its seems that when Yuen Chai Wan came to VN, the only thing really Wing Chun he taught was SLT, the dummy, and weapons. Everything else seems to have either been lost or replaced with other forms. Does this mean that while he was in VN, this is all he taught and his students sought to create a fuller curriculum by combining their knowledge of martial arts?

There's a VN Wing Chun school somewhere in Canada, and their empty handed form are SLT, Tieu Mai Hoa (little plum flower), and Dai Mai Hoa (great plum flower). This seems to me to be a Wing Chun and Meihuaquan combo, rather than full Wing Chun. And since the most popular styles of Chinese kung fu in Vietnam are Hung Gar, Wing Chun, and Meihuaquan, it's understandable how there was a lot of mixing going along.

Can it be said that Wing Chun in Vietnam is really just SLT, dummy, staff, and knives?

Vyvial
08-01-2004, 10:01 PM
hmmm, I can't say for sure but there is a Viet Wing Chun guy teaching here in TX that pretty much said the same thing.

He is now learning the Yip Man / Moy Yat program from VT Museum and Benny. He said he wanted to learn chi sau.