PDA

View Full Version : True meaning of Taan Sau!! Go On... GET!

Vyvial
08-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Taan Sau. Some call it Beggar's Hand, some call it Monkey Looking In Mirror but my favorite new definition of Taan Sau is ... "GET OUT!"

Meaning of Taan Sau? (http://videos.wingtsunwelt.de/media/tutorials/tansao.wmv)

This video is supposed to be an answer to "what is Taan Sau for?" What I got out of it is that if you ask about Taan Sau, you are an "idiot" and "don't brame you sifu...".

The best part is that the guy in white asks at the end of all that, "Do you understand now?" I may not know who this guy is but I bet that German people drive him nuts.

Manne
08-02-2004, 12:58 AM
The guy in white is GM Leung Ting.

/Manne

Vyvial
08-02-2004, 01:05 AM
oh, my bad.

Da_Moose
08-02-2004, 04:43 AM
So what exactly was going on there? A lesson on Tan Sau and its relation to leaving the room? Or did someone in the room break wind and the doors needed to be opened to let in fresh air regularly? So do I say "Go, Get out!" now when I use my Taan Sau?

AmanuJRY
08-02-2004, 07:40 AM
The funny thing about it is that all of the people standing around, getting told about the 'proper' way to do a tan sau, are advanced students in the LT WT system. One of them (the guy translating to german) is GM Kieth Kernspecht. I was in that organization, and I would be kinda ticked off if I had paid $'x' to go to a seminar with GGM LT and GM Kernspecht and got a lesson on how to do tan sau properly, they should have got that lesson when they learned SLT.

kj
08-02-2004, 07:40 AM
While he could have been more succinct in delivery, I thought it was a creative and reasonably effective way to explain his point about errors in tan sau use.

Regards,
- kj

Vyvial
08-02-2004, 10:47 AM
KJ, the only way this lesson could be considered creative in any way is that it was used to get around a language barrier.

"go ooon... get. Ya you get now!" that's how we do our Taan Sau in TX.

yylee
08-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Vyvial
oh, my bad.

He is the Master of "Almightiness", another almightiness member in your friendly neighbourhood. :D

burnsypoo
08-02-2004, 01:49 PM
with all the videos being shown, I have a quick question.
Is it a part of the WT curriculum to video tape yourself and put it on the net?

AmanuJRY
08-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Nope, but it seems to have become quite the fad with the EWTO people.

Vyvial
08-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Videos are not a bad thing at all.... there is just a lot of bad video.

My school has started doing video of all my students and putting together personal dvds for them so they can look at what they are doing and know what to work on, also they serve as a time capsule so that progression can be seen.

Imagine if Yip Man took video of all his students growing in their kung fu and we were able watch them???? Moy Yat did do this to an extent and now we have a huge library for new generations of him playing kung fu and all his master students on tape when they were first training. I even have video of his son William playing Biu Je just after he learned it and Moy Yat going and having to correct everything, it's nice to see the people I respect going through the same things that I am going through and have gone through in my kung fu training.

AmanuJRY
08-02-2004, 09:47 PM
The thing I'm bored with is the fact that newer people and groups use the same 'formula' in a lot of the videos. Chi sau demonstration, inch punch demonstration, blindfolded chi sau, the kick-up-the-centerline-to-the-head-while-holding-their-arms demo....all been done, re-done, and over done. There are some videos on the web that are cool though, some are rather entertaining........like this;

Funny and cool (http://www.defenceclub.de/gratisdownloads/gratisdownloads.html)

...the videos are at the top of the page, it's in german but you can figure it out even if you don't speak german.

planetwc
08-02-2004, 10:12 PM
So Vy,

Where was the link for that video?
I couldn't find it on that site.

Did you come across any more?

Vyvial
08-02-2004, 10:16 PM
yes sir i did...
i'll look them up for you if i can find them again

I found a a few big lists with nothing but WT, that's why it seems like I'm picking on them but they are funny videos.

Aaron Vyvial

Matrix
08-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by planetwc
Where was the link for that video?
I couldn't find it on that site. David,

You can find them at http://wingtsunwelt.de/

Bill

Vyvial
08-03-2004, 07:33 AM
Here are a bunch more (http://pages.zdnet.com/wingtsun/wingtsunlinks.com/id18.html)

KenWingJitsu
08-04-2004, 04:34 PM
LOL.

I have seen that vid before and lets just say that Mr. Leung Ting like to......well...."explain" a little too much.